Cultivated Reef

Double the light? (with photo)

Lugmos12

So upgraded the stock lights on the Fluval EVO 13.5 to Current USA Orbit Marine LED. I was then thinking if it was a good idea to run the stock Fluval EVO lights as well (maybe just on blue). The EVO has 31 LEDs at 16w and the Orbit Marine has 72 LEDs at 18w. I did notice that the Fluval lights are much brighter (Not sure what this means in terms of output).

The EVO measures 22", 15" deep, and 11" wide. I currently have the Orbit about 4-5 inches from the surface. The stock EVO light used to sit about 2-3 inches from the surface.

These are the PAR rating for the Marine Orbit. I couldn't find PAR readings for the Fluval EVO stock light from the manufacturer; I did read a post on another reef forum where someone measured the PAR around 225 at the surface.

par_values_1.jpg.9c028c76bbd4f4da37d806bfb9f23f8d.jpg

Has anyone tried this?

This is just stuff that I am thinking about.

Thrassian Atoll

I know this doesn't help, but what is the size of the stock light?  What kind of Kelvin does it put out?  How many blue leds?  Mine only has 5 blue leds and like 20 white or something.  I really want to upgrade the stock Evo V with something.  The white is really white to me.  I want something more in the 20k Kelvin range.

Thrassian Atoll
10 minutes ago, Lugmos12 said:

Mine is 14k (7 blue LEDs and 24 white LEDs)

How does it attach to the glass?  I was just looking at the aquamax nemo lights too.  Pretty cheap.  I am wondering if the small one would cover the 20" length of the tank.

21 minutes ago, TILTON said:

How does it attach to the glass?  I was just looking at the aquamax nemo lights too.  Pretty cheap.  I am wondering if the small one would cover the 20" length of the tank.

The idea is to have the stock EVO light sit on a piece of glass or I would make a mount for it.

The Marine Orbit light is sitting on legs.

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll
43 minutes ago, Lugmos12 said:

The idea is to have the stock EVO light sit on a piece of glass or I would make a mount for it.

The Marine Orbit light is sitting on legs.

I might just go with the orbit marine light you have.  Looks like a lot of people have this over their Evo 5 with good results.

2 hours ago, TILTON said:

I use the aquamaxx light. It's been great. I have the nano version for my 10g

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll
7 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I use the aquamaxx light. It's been great. I have the nano version for my 10g

I am just worried that it might look funny over the Evo and not reach the other end of the tank.  I wish the next step larger was 18"-24".

Thrassian Atoll
Just now, Clown79 said:

The nano version Isn't appropriate for that size tank, it's 8".

The legs are retractable and extendable. 

Yeah, I probably need something like the orbit.  Only 5 gallon tank though, just so long.

Thrassian Atoll

Leds are a lot brighter than what our eyes perceive.  I would run the orbit alone at first and if your coral colors and growth are good, just use the 1 light.  

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Clown79 said:

There's nothing wrong doing it. Just monitor corals

Maybe I just have an aesthetic issue where I find it more pleasing to look at a brighter tank

5 hours ago, TILTON said:

Leds are a lot brighter than what our eyes perceive.  I would run the orbit alone at first and if your coral colors and growth are good, just use the 1 light.  

ah ha! I didn't know that.

Thrassian Atoll
2 hours ago, Lugmos12 said:

Maybe I just have an aesthetic issue where I find it more pleasing to look at a brighter tank

ah ha! I didn't know that.

Yeah, T5 and metal halide look a lot brighter with the same par as leds.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TILTON said:

Yeah, T5 and metal halide look a lot brighter with the same par as leds.

I hope I notice some growth soon. The colors do look better under the Orbit light.  

Neither of these lights are super strong. I would definitely recommend running both of them at the same time. 

Also remember that white light doesn't penetrate water as much as blue light does. Many reefers I know only run blues on there tank with great success. 

For reference here is the lighting for my 20 gallon. 

KOStrBF.jpg

8 hours ago, TFish77 said:

Neither of these lights are super strong. I would definitely recommend running both of them at the same time. 

Also remember that white light doesn't penetrate water as much as blue light does. Many reefers I know only run blues on there tank with great success. 

KOStrBF.jpg

+1

17 hours ago, TFish77 said:

KOStrBF.jpg

Didn't know that about white light penetrating less.

What light is this?

I run both my tanks heavy on blue too. My whites are at 24%.

I actually was having issues with coral growth and colouring with my aquamaxx- turned out it was up to high. Since dropping the whites my zoas have spread a lot, leathers have doubled size, lps is happier and growing.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I actually was having issues with coral growth and colouring with my aquamaxx- turned out it was up to high. Since dropping the whites my zoas have spread a lot, leathers have doubled size, lps is happier and growing.

Yes this is what I have found out too I am now running just all blue no white green or red after having a long talk with the owner of my local frag shop they run all blue hybrids and its not to just make their corals pop either he said that the corals love the blue light and grow the best under it.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Clown79 said:

13 minutes ago, Dougefresh35 said:

Yes this is what I have found out too I am now running just all blue no white green or red after having a long talk with the owner of my local frag shop they run all blue hybrids and its not to just make their corals pop either he said that the corals love the blue light and grow the best under it.

Interesting. How long can corals go without light at all?