Coral Vue Hydros

Asterina starfish

Minmay

So I see asterina starfish in my tank. I've read the debate of good/bad. I havent noticed mine eating any zoas or other corals. Has anyone had bad experiences with them? Should I let it be until I notice a problem?

BustytheSnowMaam

They're harmless, but they reproduce like bunnies and some people consider them unsightly.  If you trade corals and you pass them along in the coral, you may get a rep for spreading aquarium STDs.  Some people don't mind them.  I can't stand them.  It's a personal preference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Minmay said:

So I see asterina starfish in my tank. I've read the debate of good/bad. I havent noticed mine eating any zoas or other corals. Has anyone had bad experiences with them? Should I let it be until I notice a problem?

I have a few and they have not multiplied like crazy.  I have seen them munch a little coralline Algae but nothing major.  The ones I have are grey. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

I have a few and they have not multiplied like crazy.  I have seen them munch a little coralline Algae but nothing major.  The ones I have are grey. 

Ive only seen a few as well. I seen one crawling on my toadstool. I dont think it was eating it tho. The toadstool didnt look harmed and it stayed fully open. Mine are grey too. I guess if it ever gets too bad I can always buy harlequin shrimp

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Lugmos12 said:

I want some. I had one and I think I siphoned it out of the tank by accident.

I just saw a nice size one while waiting for coffee to brew. I can try and catch u some 

• Like 2