Coral Vue Hydros

Teenyreef's Teenycookie Jar - Retired! ☠️

teenyreef

15 hours ago, JBM said:

I have that same light on my 5.5g teeny. It is absolutely fantastic!

I wasn't crazy about the 30* optics, but my few frags seem to like it. 

I think the optics are fine given that I'm trying to light a jar that's only about 8 inches wide. And since the light has to be hung fairly high above the jar to avoid burning the corals, the narrow optics limit the light spillage anyway. It's almost like they designed it for this application :D

The other night I noticed a pretty sizeable bristle worm crawling out of the rocks. I hardly ever feed the jar, just a little bit of Reef Roids about every two weeks, followed by a water change within a few hours. 

So what has this guy been eating to get this size??? 

Unfortunately he didn't survive his experience with the giant tweezers that ensued shortly after I took this picture :lol:

2018-02-11_12-58-16

• Sad 1
  • Wow 3
On 2/10/2018 at 12:34 AM, teenyreef said:

Thanks! It's the ABI Tuna Blue PAR 38. I got mine on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/ABI-Coral-Optimized-Spectrum-PAR38/dp/B01LWP37SD/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1518240754&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=ABI+Tuna+Blue+LED+Bulb+Coral+Reef+Optimized+Spectrum+PAR38

It's very blue but I think the corals look good in real life. It's a pain to photograph, though, the photos turn out looking like windex without doing some heavy white balancing.

It is blue lol I tried the 23w on the 5.5 for a couple days, the pop was nice but the turf algae loved it most. :lol:

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

It is blue lol I tried the 23w on the 5.5 for a couple days, the pop was nice but the turf algae loved it most. :lol:

Yeah, I think it's hard to judge the actual PAR (or really, PUR, being the more relevant measurement). Less white/red and more blue should mean less algae in theory, but if the total PAR is much higher, I could see how the 23w would easily encourage algae growth.

• Like 1

Instead of clogging up Salty Treats thread. I figured I'd bring the answer to you. 

Right now my light is controlled by a simple light timer. Set to go on at 2pm & off at 8 pm. So 6 hours. 

Eventually it will be controlled by my reef Pi (raspberry pi single board computer) and probably have a varying 6 to 10 hour light period.  

Oh, and I'm sorry. I lied to you. The light is 20 1/2" from the water surface. 

My lps & softies ( which are all currently on the bottom, love the light)

@Lula_Mae is spot on. It's a fabulous light and looks spectacular in person, but cell phone pics look like blue poo

• Like 2
On 2/11/2018 at 1:03 AM, teenyreef said:

The other night I noticed a pretty sizeable bristle worm crawling out of the rocks. I hardly ever feed the jar, just a little bit of Reef Roids about every two weeks, followed by a water change within a few hours. 

So what has this guy been eating to get this size??? 

Unfortunately he didn't survive his experience with the giant tweezers that ensued shortly after I took this picture :lol:

2018-02-11_12-58-16

My jar also has some sizable bristleworms.  Since I feed pretty heavy, I figured that they can stay.  They stay hidden until the food comes.  Of course I am hoping that ginormous mutant bristleworm doesn't slime out of the jar to start a reign of terror!!!?

• Like 1
17 hours ago, vlangel said:

My jar also has some sizable bristleworms.  Since I feed pretty heavy, I figured that they can stay.  They stay hidden until the food comes.  Of course I am hoping that ginormous mutant bristleworm doesn't slime out of the jar to start a reign of terror!!!?

Ha ha, I don't mind the until they get big! This one was a good three inches long, which isn't super big but is well on the way to "big".

• Like 1
On 2/11/2018 at 8:37 PM, JBM said:

Instead of clogging up Salty Treats thread. I figured I'd bring the answer to you. 

Right now my light is controlled by a simple light timer. Set to go on at 2pm & off at 8 pm. So 6 hours. 

Eventually it will be controlled by my reef Pi (raspberry pi single board computer) and probably have a varying 6 to 10 hour light period.  

Oh, and I'm sorry. I lied to you. The light is 20 1/2" from the water surface. 

My lps & softies ( which are all currently on the bottom, love the light)

@Lula_Mae is spot on. It's a fabulous light and looks spectacular in person, but cell phone pics look like blue poo

Thanks! I just realized you have the 23w and I have the 12w, so I probably won't need to go that high. I'm at 4 1/2 hours daily, but now that I've moved the light up and the corals are acclimated to the light, I'm going to increase by 30 min per week until I see signs that things are maxed out (zoas shrinking, for example).

I control everything on this tank with a $30 Smartlife wifi four-way outlet. It integrates with Amazon Echo, so I just tell Alexa to turn the lights, pump, and heater on and off. And of course the light is on a schedule in the app.

• Wow 1

My goal for this jar was to populate it only with corals I got from the other tanks. But I picked up a few new corals at the lfs today that were just begging to come home with me and...well, the other tanks are kind of full. So I stuck them in the jar :blush:

This is a rainbow montipora, but it branches instead of encrusting. And the colors are unbelievable, the skin is a bight blue, almost like a deep sky blue. The blue light makes it hard to capture the actual colors but I did my best with the white balance to show it. It's really brighter in real life.

Branching rainbow montipora

These are favias with a blue center and red fringes. The colors don't show up well in this picture...and they were still pissed from getting glued to the rock. I'll try to get a better picture later this week.

20180212-untitled-004-Edit.jpg

And I just realized that I never posted an update picture after I glued up all the other frags from the other tanks earlier this month. Here's a new top down, and I'll get pictures of the individual frags later this week. The new corals are visible on the top level of rocks in this shot. From left to right: red digitata montipora, JF Fox Flame, PC Rainbow.

2018-02-12 TeenyCookie Jar Top Down

I really need to figure out a way to take a top down without the reflection of the lights - some of the prettiest corals are right in the middle underneath the reflection.

• Like 6
  • Wow 1

Teeny, I think this jar is going to be a show stopper once everything begins to grow!  I love how methodically you put it together and I can envision what it is going to look like some day!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Thanks! I just realized you have the 23w and I have the 12w, so I probably won't need to go that high. I'm at 4 1/2 hours daily, but now that I've moved the light up and the corals are acclimated to the light, I'm going to increase by 30 min per week until I see signs that things are maxed out (zoas shrinking, for example).

There is a great thread on wattage, and height for led. You should check into it. 

• Like 1
On 2/13/2018 at 7:31 AM, vlangel said:

Teeny, I think this jar is going to be a show stopper once everything begins to grow!  I love how methodically you put it together and I can envision what it is going to look like some day!

Thanks, Dawn! I still plan to add a few more corals. I've got at least one more acro frag that's going in there, and I want to add some acans or rics (or both) to cover the bottom of the jar where there's bare glass right now.

One of the challenges of florida ricordea is getting them to stick where you want them, as the current tends to blow them away and it's really hard to get superglue to stick. And rubber bands can damage them when they're really small. But in the jar, the only flow comes from the bubbles, so I'm pretty sure I can dump some rics in on the bottom and they'll stay right there. Maybe I'll put a little rubble in first so they something to grow on and around, we'll see...

• Like 1
On 2/13/2018 at 8:02 AM, JBM said:

There is a great thread on wattage, and height for led. You should check into it. 

Thanks, I will.

I have a PAR meter, but I've been to lazy to get it out. Plus I know the jar lid is probably affecting PAR by reducing it overall but focusing the light in some spots. So I'd really need to hold the sensor in the water with the lid on, and that's going to be a pain to do.

On 2/13/2018 at 8:06 PM, tanacharison said:

That's a nice selection of corals! All that color...:o

Thanks! I really love the color that the corals are getting. The rainbow monti isn't really rainbow-ey yet, but I think it's just a matter of time and getting the corals acclimated to more and more light over the next few months.

On 2/14/2018 at 1:33 AM, Clown79 said:

Love the rainbow monti! 

The whole jar is great

When I was it at the LFS, I just knew it had to go in the jar. I have never seen one like it before. Hopefully it will keep its colors!

I took a quick fjs with the cell phone tonight. Surprisingly, the colors from the cell phone are very close to what I see in real life. In real life, the reds are a little brighter and more vivid. The picture is a little darker than real life, but it came straight from the phone, so I'm pretty impressed by how it turned out.

TeenyCookie Jar FJS 2018-02-16

• Like 2
  • Wow 2
3 hours ago, JBM said:

So, curiosity has gotten the better of me.

I'd like to see a video

I'll try! The colors always end up weird when I do videos. Are you mostly interested in the bubbles? There's not much flow, just enough to move the water around. 

3 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I'll try! The colors always end up weird when I do videos. Are you mostly interested in the bubbles? There's not much flow, just enough to move the water around. 

Mostly the bubbles. I've been doing quiet a bit of lurking on these pico builds. I'm highly intrigued. 

• Like 2
22 hours ago, JBM said:

Mostly the bubbles. I've been doing quiet a bit of lurking on these pico builds. I'm highly intrigued. 

Here's a video that shows the bubbles. As usual, I hate the video as the colors are washed out, the focus goes in and out along with the exposure, and it shakes when I move the camera. But hopefully you can get the general idea :lol:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you. Extremely educational, and pretty to boot. I find it super fascinating that a reef can thrive on nothing but a few bubbles a second, led lighting and high percentage water changes

• Like 1
On 2/19/2018 at 11:17 PM, JBM said:

Thank you. Extremely educational, and pretty to boot. I find it super fascinating that a reef can thrive on nothing but a few bubbles a second, led lighting and high percentage water changes

I agree. Especially since keeping a tank "too clean" usually results in pale colors for sps. But in this case the colors are great. Proving that like everything else in this hobby, the key to success is much more complicated than just adding chemicals to water until the parameters match some magic set of levels.

6 hours ago, Felicia said:

Hi!  Just a reminder to please pm me your February FTS by this Friday 3/2/18.

I'll get a new shot by the end of the month!

I'v added several more corals this month and have been terrible about posting pictures. There are the sps that came from the 40g tank, and I also added one from the 10g tank that didn't seem to be doing well there. I also got a new chalice from the lfs as part of their "coral of the month club", as well as a couple florida ricordea that were extras from my KPA order for the 10g tank.

• Like 3