Top Shelf Aquatics

Teenyreef's Teenycookie Jar - Retired! ☠️

teenyreef

On 11/10/2017 at 11:37 PM, pappadumplingz said:

Or Mona Lisa in a jar?

Ha ha, well, we'll see...

I'm gluing little rocks into big rocks tonight!

20171113_200610.jpg

• Like 5
pappadumplingz
Just now, teenyreef said:

20171113_200610.jpg

I reckon you

go for a Greek statue type deal ?

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

20171113_200610.jpg

Hhmm, the one on the right is a charging rhinoceros, and the one on the bottom is a rearing lion with a docked tail.  I haven't figured out the top left one yet?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
6 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Hhmm, the one on the right is a charging rhinoceros, and the one on the bottom is a rearing lion with a docked tail.  I haven't figured out the top left one yet?

I'd go with sea serpent swimming towards rhinoceros.

• Haha 3

Still gluing rocks...I haven't had a lot of time, and it has to be done a little bit at a time so the glue can get well-cured in the water. I want to be able to have chunks of glue-up rocks that are big enough so that I only have to take out three or four rocks to empty out the jar. But they have to be small enough to get them in and out of the neck of the jar. Plus they have to fit together into the right kind of scape, and be easy to fit back together once they go back in. #teenyjarproblems

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 11/20/2017 at 12:15 AM, teenyreef said:

Still gluing rocks...I haven't had a lot of time, and it has to be done a little bit at a time so the glue can get well-cured in the water. I want to be able to have chunks of glue-up rocks that are big enough so that I only have to take out three or four rocks to empty out the jar. But they have to be small enough to get them in and out of the neck of the jar. Plus they have to fit together into the right kind of scape, and be easy to fit back together once they go back in. #teenyjarproblems

How about using a band saw to cut them so they fit together like tetris pieces? hahaha, not sure how natural that will look, but it would be hilarious (especially if different rocks were growing different colored coral).

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Moolelo said:

How about using a band saw to cut them so they fit together like tetris pieces? hahaha, not sure how natural that will look, but it would be hilarious (especially if different rocks were growing different colored coral).

Ha ha, that would be cool! They fit together like puzzle pieces now buy you can't tell just by looking at them (which is the idea of course).

• Like 1
On 11/20/2017 at 12:15 AM, teenyreef said:

Haha I solved this by epoxying all three rocks together so I can lift the whole thing out. Be interesting to see how it works with corals glued on.

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Haha I solved this by epoxying all three rocks together so I can lift the whole thing out. Be interesting to see how it works with corals glued on.

That was my original plan too @Lula_Mae.  Unfortunately I can tell already with the coral glued on that is not going to work in my jar.

• Like 2

Mine are glued up into three separate rocks. So at least for now I should be able to take them out. Hopefully I can remember how they go back together when I put them back in. Today will be the first test!

I fully expect once the corals start to grow out, I won't be able to take them out anymore, though. Last night, just as a test, I used my Two Little Fishies nanomag to clean the sides of the jar. It worked surprisingly well, the only spots I couldn't clean were where the rocks are right up against the glass. So my long term plan once I can't take the rocks out any more is to siphon off the water after stirring it up, let the detritus settle in the bucket, and pour water back in (minus the detritus) to rinse everything off really well. Then siphon the water back out and put in new water. I think that will get most of the detritus out with each water change.

• Like 3

Thanks everyone! I've been traveling this week but I glued up a few more frags and got a couple pics before I left. 

Here's a top down jar shot:

2017-11-26 Teeniecookie Jar Top Down

Can't wait for the rainbow monti to color up:

Rainbow Montipora

And I have a little frag of the bubblegum montipora that I got from @natalia_la_loca - it looks great in her bowl and it's already my favorite coral in this bowl :D

Bubblegum Montipora

• Like 13

I came home from a four day trip to find that someone must have ordered an extra helping of algae. I know it wasn't me cause I hate that stuff :lol:

I tried to take a picture for what will hopefully be a before and after picture series, but it didn't really turn out. Oh well, at least you can kind of see the algae:

20171201-untitled-004.jpg

I drained all the water and put hydrogen peroxide on the algae everywhere I could reach. I let it sit for a couple minutes, rinsed off the rocks with new water, re-drained the jar, and then refilled. I'll probably do it again in another day after I see what is left. 

• Like 11

I did another round of drain/peroxide/refill two days after the first one. It's been another four days now and the algae is pretty much gone where I applied peroxide. But of course it's now growing where I didn't apply peroxide, although not quite and bright green and aggressive. So hopefully that's good news. The bad news is it's growing on and around some of the sps frags, which won't tolerate peroxide. If it gets too bad, I'll temporarily remove the sps frags until the algae bloom is over.

In the meantime, I've reduced the photoperiod from 8 hours to 7, just to slow down the algae a little bit. If the sps frags brown out as a result, that's OK, I know they'll color back up when the lighting goes back up.

In other news, I got a new el cheapo light fixture from Home Depot that has a gooseneck and clips to the shelf. It's easier to adjust than the architect's lamp and takes up less room. Here's a slightly fuzzy (from the algae) full jar shot including the light.

2017-12-08 Teenycookie Jar FJS

• Like 9

I was going to frag a bunch of corals this weekend and put them in the jar, but I think I'll just wait another week or two and see how things go with the algae first.

Other than the algae, all the corals are doing quite well in the jar. The colors on the bubblegum monti are better than they are in my 40g. And the rainbow monti, which was brown from being in the shade in the 40g, is now getting rainbowy (ish). And algae-ish...

Rainbow Monti

The zoas are looking better each day. Since zoas are pretty tolerant of peroxide, I applied the peroxide both times earlier this week. You can see how effective it was, there's hardly any algae at all.

Cookiejar Zoas

• Like 11