inTank Media Baskets

Teenyreef's Teenycookie Jar - Retired! ☠️

teenyreef

9 minutes ago, Sunstar said:

I wish to do something like this, But I hate the sound of air pumps. Mind you a pond pump would provide enough flow and is tiny enough....

That's the nice thing about this setup. Since there's no airstone and I just reduce the pressure by a little bit to control the speed of the bubbles, the air pump is almost completely silent.

6 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Branching rainbow montipora? 

Never heard of it ?

You sure it wasn’t encrusting montipora over a dead branch or something? 

I've wondered that same thing, because I've never heard of it either. But this particular lfs guy has been very trustworthy and grows many of his own sps frags. So time will tell as it grows.

I just remembered I did take a few pics the other day.

These are three of the new corals. The red digitata montipora came from the 40g tank. It got stung because it was too close to the blue kenya tree leather, so I moved it here to keep it out of the way. The other two (JF Fox Flame and PC Rainbow) also came from the 40g tank. Neither one had room to grow, and the Fox Flame wasn't coloring up well anyway, so hopefully they'll like it here in the jar.

20180219-untitled-018-Edit.jpg

In this picture, you can see the california tort in the bottom and the bublegum montipora on the right. PC Rainbow is in the middle. 

20180219-untitled-017-Edit-2.jpg

And here's the new chalice, just sitting on the bottom glass.

20180219-untitled-029-Edit.jpg

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
5 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

I've wondered that same thing, because I've never heard of it either. But this particular lfs guy has been very trustworthy and grows many of his own sps frags. So time will tell as it grows.

Did you see a colony? 

Cell phone pic, with white balance and exposure adjusted in Lightroom. The small lens size of the cell phone camera seems to handle the distortion caused by the curved glass better than the DSLR, and the white balance is better. But the color depth and detailed clarity are better with the DSLR. Still I think this came out fairly true to life. 

2018-02-27 TeenyCookie Jar FJS

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
20 hours ago, Rene said:

Nice chalice!  The colors in this little cookie jar are very nice, and are just gonna get better as it fills in. What's your secret?  Are you dosing with Skittles?

Thanks! There's no secret, really. I did start with mature live rock that sat in the back chambers of the IM40 for a few weeks, and had been used for a long time in previous tanks (although it had been dry for months in between). So the biological filtration capabilities of the live rock was good to start with. 

Beyond that, I feed reef roids once every week or two and change the water after a few hours (or a day). I change 100 percent of the water once or twice a week. I put peroxide on the algae during the water change, and use tweezers to manually remove algae from spots I can't use peroxide on. And I usually have to clean the glass about once a week or so. 

The biggest challenge has been getting the lighting intensity right. I think keeping the intensity high has contributed to the colors but I've also had some problems with bleaching. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 2/26/2018 at 4:43 PM, vlangel said:

I am really excited to see the newly added coral.  I am sure this jar is amazing!

Thanks Dawn! I'm really happy with how happy all the corals are in the jar. I can't wait to see how it looks when everything gets grown over. 

hey this looks great

also

did Martiza talk you into going straight bubbles without an airstone?

She tried to get me to do that for five years and I hesitated, then one day I had to try it since I was out of airstones and mine had clogged lol. 10 mos, no look back, no airstone is indeed better I shoulda listened in 2013. its a tiny bit louder but that's the only downside, I can pump twice the amnt of air through the system now and there is zero splatter, its amazing in fact lol.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, brandon429 said:

hey this looks great

also

did Martiza talk you into going straight bubbles without an airstone?

She tried to get me to do that for five years and I hesitated, then one day I had to try it since I was out of airstones and mine had clogged lol. 10 mos, no look back, no airstone is indeed better I shoulda listened in 2013. its a tiny bit louder but that's the only downside, I can pump twice the amnt of air through the system now and there is zero splatter, its amazing in fact lol.

Thanks, Brandon! I got the no airstone idea from @natalia_la_loca when she did her first bowl. I tried both ways but the airstone produced so much splashing on the lid it just wasn't worth it.

So far the most interesting thing I've learned from this jar is that just the little bit of circulation from the bubbles is plenty of water movement for the sps corals. I think doing the 100% water change every week takes care of it instead. So much for the "more flow the better" school of thought.

• Like 7

Agreed

if I’m going to be in the mountains for a whole week, I adjust my air speed down very low and my system will only shift from .023 to .024 in seven days w no topoff, and it’s still plenty movement. I set it normal when I get home

so much for size implicating stability. Any large tank who does that with no ato in place dies half way through my trip, nice edge for the pico reefs there. It seems inner diameter fitting lids trumps systemic volume in stability 

• Like 2

Arrrrgh. I looked at the jar this morning only to see that several of the well-established sps STN'd overnight. Not a trace of tissue left. It looks like I lost five corals. Strangely, they're all the ones in the middle-height part of the jar. The ones that are lower seem fine, and the ones that are higher aren't dead either. Of course, they could just waiting another day or two just to tease me.

I don't know what may have caused this. I had noticed that the setosa and the cali tort seemed slightly bleached a week or two ago, so I decreased the light. But some of the others looked fine just yesterday. 

I guess there's nothing to do but hold on and see what happens to the rest :(

• Sad 5
18 hours ago, Rene said:

Bummer!  Stupid SPS. You don't see Aiptasia pulling a stunt like this...

Ha ha, that's true!

So far nothing else show any signs of distress. Fingers crossed!

I have more frags of the cali tort and JF red hot setosa in the frag tank, so I'll just replace those two with new frags. But I'm bummed about the others, as I don't have any other frags of those. I'm really bitter about the PC rainbow, because it had come back from a frag that had died back to a tiny piece and was doing really well.

• Sad 1