Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Teenyreef's Teenycookie Jar - Retired! ☠️

teenyreef

7 hours ago, vlangel said:

O wow, those zoas are so pretty!

Thanks, Dawn! I have a few more in the frag tank I bring over after the algae bloom in over. But I don't want the jar to be completely overrun with zoas and palys, so we'll see. I'm already considering removing the big blue palys because they tend to overwhelm everything else.

• Like 5
13 hours ago, Moolelo said:

Hermit-temp?

I've thought about it - I have some small blue leg hermits in the other tanks that would fit nicely. But for now I'm going to ride it out and see if the periodic peroxide treatment, along with a shorter light cycle, takes effect as the jar matures. My goal is to keep this set up as simple as possible and rely only on water changes and light and whatever is in the live rock. I expect at some point I may have to feed some coral food for the sps, and maybe some pellets if I had acans.

I'm not opposed to keeping some kind of shrimp or crab for ornamental/entertainment purposes, though. I love sexy shrimp and pom pom crabs. Maybe later.

• Like 4
On 12/10/2017 at 10:44 PM, pgrVII said:

This is really cool Teeny!! Bring the big blue palys!!

Thanks! I hope you've been well, I haven't heard from you in a while!

I'm waiting to see what the palys do in the jar. Under the right conditions they get some really spectacular colors, but they're fairly drab in the 10g and 30g tanks where I have them right now. If they color back up in the jar, I'll keep them and put up with trimming them back every so often.

18 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Thanks! I hope you've been well, I haven't heard from you in a while!

I'm waiting to see what the palys do in the jar. Under the right conditions they get some really spectacular colors, but they're fairly drab in the 10g and 30g tanks where I have them right now. If they color back up in the jar, I'll keep them and put up with trimming them back every so often.

I gotcha, that makes sense. Hopefully they color up. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I've thought about it - I have some small blue leg hermits in the other tanks that would fit nicely. But for now I'm going to ride it out and see if the periodic peroxide treatment, along with a shorter light cycle, takes effect as the jar matures. My goal is to keep this set up as simple as possible and rely only on water changes and light and whatever is in the live rock. I expect at some point I may have to feed some coral food for the sps, and maybe some pellets if I had acans.

I'm not opposed to keeping some kind of shrimp or crab for ornamental/entertainment purposes, though. I love sexy shrimp and pom pom crabs. Maybe later.

or a squat lobster? Haha, I think there are a few crazy small invert ideas for these things.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Moolelo said:

or a squat lobster? Haha, I think there are a few crazy small invert ideas for these things.

That would be really cool! 

On 12/11/2017 at 11:57 PM, pgrVII said:

I gotcha, that makes sense. Hopefully they color up. 

So far the colors in this jar have been fantastic. So I have high hopes fingerscrossed

• Like 1
17 hours ago, pappadumplingz said:

Jar is looking great mate! The scape reminds me of the steps formed by lava hitting seawater.

Thanks! I have to confess my primary goal was to hide as much of the heater that I could. Everything else is gravy -_-

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 12/10/2017 at 10:37 PM, teenyreef said:

I'm already considering removing the big blue palys because they tend to overwhelm everything else.

you can transplant them to either of my tanks, I won't mind being over run by a blanket of blue!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
On 12/13/2017 at 12:47 PM, dmw913 said:

Looking really good, Teeny!  My algae bloom was horrible and passed rather quickly.  I hope the same for you!!!

I hope so too! As of tonight it's been six days since the last water change and peroxide treatment. I can see some algae coming back but it's not coming back nearly as quickly. Only the spots that I can't treat with peroxide are really bad. So I think between the jar getting more mature, and the one hour reduction in the photoperiod, things are headed in the right direction.

There's a fine film of algae on the glass now, it's just now getting to the point that it is visible enough to clean. I didn't clean the glass at all last week, so that's two week's worth of algae on the glass. I can definitely live with that!

2 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

you can transplant them to either of my tanks, I won't mind being over run by a blanket of blue!

Haha, they are definitely pretty! I'll try to get some better pictures of them when they are fully colored up.

• Like 4

Teeny, I just found one of those jars in a cupboard at my house.  Holy cow!!!  Small water volume.  It's even more fun to watch your thread knowing how little real estate you're dealing with!

• Like 2
On 12/12/2017 at 8:13 AM, Moolelo said:

On 12/13/2017 at 1:09 AM, teenyreef said:

That would be really cool! 

So far the colors in this jar have been fantastic. So I have high hopes fingerscrossed

Hopefully you'd have better luck with a squat lobster than me lol.

:unsure:

• Like 1
On 12/23/2017 at 5:52 PM, dmw913 said:

Teeny, I just found one of those jars in a cupboard at my house.  Holy cow!!!  Small water volume.  It's even more fun to watch your thread knowing how little real estate you're dealing with!

Ha ha, you should do another one! I love your skull :)

16 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Hopefully you'd have better luck with a squat lobster than me lol.

:unsure:

Urgh, I would hope so! I've always liked squat lobsters. But for now I'm trying the corals-only approach as part of my experiment with ultra-simple and cheap jar reef.

I'm not even feeding the jar anything, at least not yet. And so far, all the corals are doing great. Even the sps that typically get pale when nutrients are low have good color. My guess is everything is living off of the stuff that was in the live rock. In fact, the other night I noticed a few pods swimming around, which I never see in the bigger tanks. I did a quick video just to prove it to myself. 

My apologies for the disappointment if you were expecting more than three seconds of silent video showing a couple pods :lol:

I've also made a few minor equipment upgrades. I had taped over some of the white lights on the PAR 30 bulb but I still wanted a more blue light, and taping over the LEDs reduced the total PAR output of the light. So I bought the ABI Tuna Blue PAR38 light from Amazon ($25): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWP37SD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But when it arrived I ran into a small problem - it was too big for the shade over the clip light. After a little more research on Amazon, I found that this is a common problem, and they make a bulb extender https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074WP65DD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's what it looks like:

20171227-untitled-012.jpg

At under $5 for two, I thought it would be worth trying it, and so far it works great. The bulb fits now, and nothing blew up or caught fire :)

I repositioned the clamp light fixture a little higher since there's more PAR with the new bulb. Here's how it looks now. The colors are a little off but you can see how the light is set up and how the bulb looks with the extender.

20171227-untitled-015-Edit.jpg

Here's a top down shot that shows the colors a little better. It's hard to get pictures bright enough when the rocks are still so white! The algae is steadily improving by the way, this picture was taken before the water change, so it's been a week and a half since the last water change in this picture.

20171227-untitled-019-Edit.jpg

• Like 8
14 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Urgh, I would hope so! I've always liked squat lobsters. But for now I'm trying the corals-only approach as part of my experiment with ultra-simple and cheap jar reef.

I'm not even feeding the jar anything, at least not yet. And so far, all the corals are doing great. Even the sps that typically get pale when nutrients are low have good color. My guess is everything is living off of the stuff that was in the live rock. In fact, the other night I noticed a few pods swimming around, which I never see in the bigger tanks. I did a quick video just to prove it to myself. 

My apologies for the disappointment if you were expecting more than three seconds of silent video showing a couple pods :lol:

I've also made a few minor equipment upgrades. I had taped over some of the white lights on the PAR 30 bulb but I still wanted a more blue light, and taping over the LEDs reduced the total PAR output of the light. So I bought the ABI Tuna Blue PAR38 light from Amazon ($25): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWP37SD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But when it arrived I ran into a small problem - it was too big for the shade over the clip light. After a little more research on Amazon, I found that this is a common problem, and they make a bulb extender https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074WP65DD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's what it looks like:

20171227-untitled-012.jpg

At under $5 for two, I thought it would be worth trying it, and so far it works great. The bulb fits now, and nothing blew up or caught fire :)

I repositioned the clamp light fixture a little higher since there's more PAR with the new bulb. Here's how it looks now. The colors are a little off but you can see how the light is set up and how the bulb looks with the extender.

20171227-untitled-015-Edit.jpg

Here's a top down shot that shows the colors a little better. It's hard to get pictures bright enough when the rocks are still so white! The algae is steadily improving by the way, this picture was taken before the water change, so it's been a week and a half since the last water change in this picture.

20171227-untitled-019-Edit.jpg

That bulb extender is pretty cool!

• Like 1
MainelyReefer

Not sure if it's been mentioned, if you add spaces between creative container contest on the tags section of your thread it will show up with everyone else's.  Tanks looking great, genius solution with the bulb extender.

2 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned, if you add spaces between creative container contest on the tags section of your thread it will show up with everyone else's.  Tanks looking great, genius solution with the bulb extender.

Oops :blush:

Thanks for letting me know!

2 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Ha ha, you should do another one! I love your skull :)

You don't know how hard it is to leave it sitting clean and empty on my shelf!!!  I am aquascaping the rock structure for the 4g. UNS for after the contest and letting it cure.  I also picked up a really nice 2 gallon Aquatop cube from my LFS today since I promised the inhabitants of the skull to my son but I am NOT cleaning the skull long term!   He's hell bent on getting coral - Glow Tank isn't quite enough for him.  Wants to be like mama!  So proud he likes my hobby!  He's my bubble algae spotter and freaked out tonight because he thought a crab was eating some coral!  

Hell, I broke up a bunch of rock to build the structure for the 4 gallon and it's just sitting there all dry and sad...and that jar is just sitting there...

You're killin' me, Teeny!

• Like 3