Innovative Marine Aquariums

Natalia's Sculpture Bowl is almost a year old!

natalia_la_loca

On 2/3/2018 at 9:00 AM, natalia_la_loca said:

As mentioned in my main reefbowl thread, I took an 8-day trip last week. My art pico did okay, but not as well as the main reefbowl, maybe because the former isn’t as well established. Also, I cannot get those new nephtheas to stay put on the new sculpture! So I’m going to let them go where they want to go, and put something different on the new sculpture. Happily, the new acans are doing well.  Here are the current pics. Need to clean that glass and maybe get another trochus snail!

40026430252_9e59d8caaa_b.jpg

40059059461_ced7e2b7ce_b.jpg

I love those little orange-yellow zoas, so bright and sunny!  Most of my zoas are not keeping their color in the jar. :(

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I love those little orange-yellow zoas, so bright and sunny!  Most of my zoas are not keeping their color in the jar. :(

Those zoas and that ultra acan are stunning aren’t they! I’ve not even heard of zoas loosing colors before? I don’t know what could be wrong.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, JoeR said:

Those zoas and that ultra acan are stunning aren’t they! I’ve not even heard of zoas loosing colors before? I don’t know what could be wrong.

They're just sort of browning, not sure if it's lighting/nutrients/what is may be but I'm not happy with the light over the jar, it worked better over my 5.5 as far as colors I think.

3 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

They're just sort of browning, not sure if it's lighting/nutrients/what is may be but I'm not happy with the light over the jar, it worked better over my 5.5 as far as colors I think.

What light is it? Mine are thriving with the ABI Tuna blue bulb, one with some LEDS taped over and one with an acrylic lid blocking light

• Like 2
On 2/7/2018 at 8:33 AM, JoeR said:

What light is it? Mine are thriving with the ABI Tuna blue bulb, one with some LEDS taped over and one with an acrylic lid blocking light

It's the Coral Compulsion bulb,I believe the 14k one. I liked it over my 5.5 but over this it's pretty meh. Not sure what the deal is lol. Maybe I just need to do some water changes. :lol: I've got the 23w Tuna Blue bulb and it was much too blue for my taste even if good for coral color. I didn't try taping over LEDs though.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

It's the Coral Compulsion bulb,I believe the 14k one. I liked it over my 5.5 but over this it's pretty meh. Not sure what the deal is lol. Maybe I just need to do some water changes. :lol: I've got the 23w Tuna Blue bulb and it was much too blue for my taste even if good for coral color. I didn't try taping over LEDs though.

Taping a few LEDs definitely helps but for me it’s still too blue as well. But, it’s cheap so... lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
natalia_la_loca

Water changes FTW @Lula_Mae! They’re sooooo easy with picos! I still can’t get over how easy and awesome these bowls are. 

On 2/8/2018 at 6:55 PM, teenyreef said:

Those rainbow acans are the bees knees! 

Inorite? :happydance: 

Btw, no changes in this bowl lately. Apart from the wandering nephtheas, things are stable.  Stay tuned :ninja:

• Like 2

The jar is so very unique.

I love how you have incorporated your art in it, it's really nicely done!

It reminds me of a under water treasure.

You can loosely the the nepthea to the statues with string or fishing line. Took mine about a week to fully attach.

What material do you use for the sculptures?

• Thanks 1
natalia_la_loca

Thank you @Clown79 :flower: I’ll try the fishing line.

I used paper clay to make the sculptures. It’s basically a fine porcelain mixed with paper pulp. The paper adds to the structural integrity of the clay during sculpting. Then when it’s fired in the kiln, the paper burns away, leaving a porous clay sculpture.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, natalia_la_loca said:

Thank you @Clown79 :flower: I’ll try the fishing line.

I used paper clay to make the sculptures. It’s basically a fine porcelain mixed with paper pulp. The paper adds to the structural integrity of the clay during sculpting. Then when it’s fired in the kiln, the paper burns away, leaving a porous clay sculpture.

That's really cool. I love art and always fascinated by what others create and the materials they use.

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca

New FBS :) 

40323960692_1cf50fe0f9_b.jpg

26498254888_7e67713e6c_b.jpg

39658503354_8421d307ff_b.jpg

By the way @Clown79, I used some thread to tie down the wandering nephtheas. Now they’re all on one statue and are showing better polyp extension. Hopefully they’ll anchor themselves over time.

• Like 6

So cool, the tushie still cracks me up! The bouquet is perfect, what a great placement for zoas. GSP would be nice for a wig but it will take over the figurines quickly. Still, I imagine it would be easy to peel off the hair if it gets out of control - you know in case it needed a haircut. :lol:

• Haha 2
natalia_la_loca

Thanks @metrokat :)  GSP would lend itself really well to this sort of thing. I almost (almost!) wish I had a bigger tank because I could think of a ton of weird ways to mix coral and sculpture.