sapling

Moving Coral Placement After Acclimation

sapling

Hey Nano reef, Just a quick question about placement of corals, So I have had a New Nanobox light running for about a week now, and am wondering when Can I start bringing my pocillopora up from the sandbed, and how high should I go at a time?

currently it is about 18" from the light, and am wondering if I can move it to the top of my rocks now which are ~12" from the light or to put it halfway up the rock(~15" from light) and wait another week before to the top?

Anyways just wondering how do people do it here on the forums and the best tips for it? Would not like to stress the coral too much during this, and thank you to everyone who replies :)

Ebn

Don't have that specific light, but do run LEDs. Sand bed PAR averages 100-130 PAR and PAR levels on the rocks varies from 200-770 in one hot spot. I normally start out fresh frags on the sand bed and then observe them for a week or two. Once they look like they're settled in, I move them onto the rock work. 

This is the WD on acquisition and into the tank on 5/22/17.

jkr_wd_side_052217.jpg

I fragged half of that for a buddy of mine and then glued my frag to the rock on 6/5/17.

jkr_wd_060517.jpg

Here it is as of today.

jkr_wd_102617.jpg

As mentioned, the part of the sand bed that it was sitting in was ~130 PAR. The position where it got moved to reads 480 on the PAR meter. 

• Like 1

Thrassian Atoll

I place all of my new Acros wherever and they all seem to be doing fine with my nanobox.  Most people run leds nowadays so I feel acclimating sps isn't that big of a deal for me.  I will say though, I have seen a lot of the high end retailers only having around 200-300 par and using mostly blues.  I don't know what light you had previously but leds are very deceiving with par output.  It doesn't take much to hit 200-300 par.  

• Like 1

Ebn

For reference, this is in 470 PAR. A bit more than that actually in this shot since it's actually getting some sunlight from the windows. Original frag came from LED lit tank. 

wild_ssc_102617.jpg

This is in 515 PAR. Original frag came from T5 tank. 

crc_purple_cadillac_102617a.jpg

...and this is 770 PAR. It glows and still manages to encrust in high PAR. Original frag came from T5 tank. 

crc_gold_mille_102617.jpg

• Like 1

Thrassian Atoll

Crazy how the par changes the colors so much.  That's why buying high end Acros is always a gamble.  It could look completely different from one persons tank to another.   I  really need to get a par meter.  I am going to keep my lights pretty dim I think for a while and see how the color and growth do.   My new t5 led hybrid should be coming soon.   I just picked up some rainbow colored frags from Triton corals and can hopefully keep them the same color.  

• Like 1

sapling
18 hours ago, Ebn said:

Don't have that specific light, but do run LEDs. Sand bed PAR averages 100-130 PAR and PAR levels on the rocks varies from 200-770 in one hot spot. I normally start out fresh frags on the sand bed and then observe them for a week or two. Once they look like they're settled in, I move them onto the rock work.

so you think its a good to go ahead and start moving the pocillopora up now? I'll go ahead then, Appreciate it !

@TILTON I remember seeing this thread mentioning something super interesting

if you skip over to the lighting for SPS corals, I saw that apparently corals usually produce the more exotic color in response to UV Light. since From how i understand it, its a sunscreen the coral produces as a sunscreen, so maybe if your looking for color you should consider bringing up the light. I know my Pocillopora has a somewhat green dotting to the tissue not the polyps when I first got it and wonder if once in the high part of the tank will it gain that back.

another article on the subject that was pretty interesting,

http://www.liveaquaria.com/PIC/article.cfm?aid=114

the other part interesting was the mention of color temp in regards of growth vs color. they mention the warmer the color (10k vs 20k) causes faster growth but worse color. so I think your T5 and LED fixture will probably super awesome to see tbh, I was thinking of something like that myself since I preferred the 14k look anyways.

Ebn

Pocilloporas are some of the hardiest sps, so I wouldn't hesitate to move them up, if they look healthy.

Also, sps do produce the sunscreen that gives them the sheen, which is basically impossible to capture on camera. The piece above in 770 PAR glows like nothing that I've seen so far. If however you want nuances of colors, then high light might not be needed, or warranted. The PC rainbow and the red planet are two that has very variable colors depending on how much light you provide them. The PC rainbow will go entirely pink if blasted with light, but if you give it too little, it goes more green. If you give it just enough, then you'll truly see the rainbow on it (pink corallites, mustard yellow body, and greenish base). Same pretty much applies to the red planet.

I also found another recently that demonstrates that. This is an Aussie wild piece. Under high light it goes completely yellow/green. I've been keeping mine in lower light (~125 PAR) and it's becoming a tricolor of sorts. Bluish/purple body, with yellow/green tips and orange polyps. :)

crc_aussie_yellow_side_102617.jpg

crc_aussie_yellow_102617.jpg

• Like 1