Cultivated Reef

250 Watt Metal Halide Mini System VS. 48" VHO

Shaz

I was wondering if anyone is familair with the 250 Watt Metal Halide Mini Systems. I saw one for sale at : http://www.hydroponics.net/i/384195

It would be for a 55 gallon aquarium. would this be a good option for clams and even hard corals?

The other option is the 48" VHO, 4 110k W bulbs. I know Metal halide is suppsoe to be better than VHO, but since I would be getting two of the mini units, I didnt know if it would be.

I have been looknig into other types of metal halide as well... such as the DUAL 175 W Metal Halide DUAL VHO 48" CANOPY, 250W HPS/MH "CONVERSION" Bat Wing Grow Light, and a 2 DE 250W MH.... Does anyone have any other suggestions? remember this would be for a 55 gallon tank :D

I was also considering donig a 50 gal. Would it be easier to get 36" lighting fixtures for this?

Thanks!! ;)

The fixture would work, but if you purchase it from there it is probably going to come with a 5,000k - 6,700k bulb. You will probably want one that is 10,000k or higher.

Quick lighting lesson:

Watts- This is the amount of power the lamp uses.

Lumens- This is a measurement of the light output.

Kelvin (K)- This is the color temperature of the light.

The description says that is has a color temperature of 4,000. I assume they mean 4,000k. This means the light will be pretty yellow. I am suprised they are selling these for hydroponics... usually you want between 5,500k - 6,700k for plants. The reason they are selling the 4,000k ones are because they are cheap (6,700k ones and higher start around $60).

You want a color temperature of about 10,000k for reef purposes. This is because water refracts light and this causes the light at the depth where most corals grow to be a bit on the blue side (to put it simply).

Personally I would just look at another fixture.

I am suprised they are selling these for hydroponics... usually you want between 5,500k - 6,700k for plants. The reason they are selling the 4,000k ones are because they are cheap (6,700k ones and higher start around $60).
5500k-6700k for vegitative growth. 3000-4000k for flowering.

You'd definately need a different bulb and I doubt a hydroponics place would carry 10Ks- they're very aquarium specific.

ok :) thanks!

In case i dont come across any cheap MH, do you think the 48", 4 110w VHO would be good... I could do softies and what else do you think would go with that lighting?

Archived