Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

You Should Be Jelly

el fabuloso

Quick update on the jellies. The sickly jelly had been on the mend which was interesting to process to observe. To economize, they first shrink down in size and then dissolve parts of the body to fix up parts that need fixing. In my jelly's case there were holes on the bell that needed to be fixed in order for it to swim properly. Parts of the oral arms were dissolved to patch up the holes and it was finally buoyant enough to drift through the water and catch food. It seemed like it was growing back to its regular size but shortly after the new year it started shrinking back down. 

0D26F563-4854-4D43-A06A-662D2FB52980_zps

CD2140CD-9C72-4A7C-A50D-141C4661052E_zps

6EDA5D94-CE07-4994-B89F-A99DD9F86BA7_zps

You can see how much smaller it was compared to the other two. I was hoping it was temporary and that eventually it would bounce back, seeing as it was back to swimming properly and eating. But eventually it kept shrinking down until it disappeared into thin water.

And then there were two jellies.

• Sad 4

That is fascinating how it conserved energy but I am sad for you that it was not able to recover.  My hubby really loves jellies so I may consider a little tank like yours for him.  He just finds them mesmerizingly peaceful.

• Like 2

It's all good. If there's one thing I'm learning with jellies, it's not to get too attached to them. Especially with their short life spans. My immediate reaction was to get another one because three's a crowd and two is just kinda meh. But again, given their short life span and with this being my first foray into jellies I've decided to hold off until I've gone through all the motions. For example they've been good during the winter without a heater but I don't know how well they'll do in the summer months. But they're supposed to be able to tolerate a wide range of temps.

Actually one jelly is growing too well, growing faster and outpacing the other jelly. I'll post some photos soon.

• Like 4

Photo update on the two jellies:

439D516F-2433-48DD-BF20-7980E0936120_zps

E65DE6C8-8793-4432-A400-8D25B3F6F2BD_zps

As you can see from the FTS, one jelly is outgrowing the other. I feel like the little one is slowly shrinking too even though it's eating properly and my water quality is stable and the parameters are on point. The larger one is developing nicely with long flowing tentacles and full oral arms giving it that unmistakable jellyfish look.

35F7CB9D-04BC-44E7-8E6F-A61F100A59A3_zps

65E86F03-5CD4-4D92-9FEC-D737F0ECC553_zps

Photographing the jellies has also been a bit of a challenge. Mostly because they're free-floating and constantly on the move and a still shot doesn't really do them justice. On the other hand a video, while nice, is too much work for a quick update so I'm thinking that a GIF here and there might be the best way to show them off.

3E730D8F-5021-4BC0-B69D-0770D2FB2027_zps

6B6AF5DB-F37B-4F7A-A65C-0488D45EC207_zps 

• Like 5
  • Wow 7
12 hours ago, el fabuloso said:

Right? Almost like she's showing off. No doubt she's the Beyonce of the bunch.

574DB7DD-9C99-4F70-AE9B-B0C467844D1B_zps 

Fresh-Fabulous-Body-Rolling.gif

giphy.gif 

I saw a car recently whose literal license tag said, "Beyhive." :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

From reading the thread from the beginning, it does look like the smaller jelly seems to be shrinking. How's he doing now?

I love the pictures, videos, and gifs. Maybe you'll start a new jelly pico revolution :D

• 2 years later...