Coral Vue Hydros

You Should Be Jelly

el fabuloso

Everyone's putting bottles and jars in little tanks and it's leaving me feeling kinda jelly so I thought I'd do my own.

60C7CE82-EE29-4374-93D8-1752CEA95882_zps

I know that jelly isn't a condiment but who doesn't like jelly? Anyway, I think it looks happy in a two-gallon tank, I hope it survives the cycle.

FTS:

E5767B43-124E-414B-AE7A-8F32F1378C39_zps

Am I doing this right? :unsure:

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 2

Nice choice on the jelly, Bonne Maman makes the best apricot preserves.  Yum!  Glad you're going to be part of this, I think you may have already won! :lol:

• Like 1
On 10/26/2017 at 1:16 AM, TFish77 said:

Ah ok makes more sense. You planning on doing corals in there or specifically a jelly tank? 

Just wanted to put jelly in a pico since all these awesome picos that everyone is doing is making me jelly. ;) 

On 10/26/2017 at 1:11 AM, Lypto said:

jelly squad! You gonna put some moons in there? 

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
6 hours ago, el fabuloso said:

Just wanted to put jelly in a pico sense all these awesome picos that everyone is doingis making me jelly. ;) 

giphy.gif

Ahh 90's music. Or was that early 2000's? :lol:

54 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Ahh 90's music. Or was that early 2000's? :lol:

2001, I think. But let’s be real, the early 2000’s was really just an extension of the 90’s. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 10/26/2017 at 12:47 AM, el fabuloso said:

Everyone's putting bottles and jars in little tanks and it's leaving me feeling kinda jelly so I thought I'd do my own.

60C7CE82-EE29-4374-93D8-1752CEA95882_zps

I know that jelly isn't a condiment but who doesn't like jelly? Anyway, I think it looks happy in a two-gallon tank, I hope it survives the cycle.

FTS:

E5767B43-124E-414B-AE7A-8F32F1378C39_zps

Am I doing this right? :unsure:

I thought the container for the contest could NOT be an aquarium of any kind?  Are you just joining in but not part of the contest?

On 10/27/2017 at 11:46 AM, vlangel said:

I thought the container for the contest could NOT be an aquarium of any kind?  Are you just joining in but not part of the contest?

Oh, no! I'm not in this for the contest. Like I said, I was just feeling jelly so I wanted to put jelly in a tank.

But now I have water, so things are about to get wet:

FullSizeRender_zpst1t4wovi.jpeg

I'm used to making my own water but now that I live in NYC, I don't have the room to start a meth lab mix saltwater so this was a pretty good solution. $20 for 4.4 gallons through Foster & Smith delivered to my door without me having to carry 40 lbs. of water on the train.  I also signed up for a monthly delivery which got me a $10 discount on future orders. :happy:

• Like 4
2 hours ago, el fabuloso said:

Oh, no! I'm not in this for the contest. Like I said, I was just feeling jelly so I wanted to put jelly in a tank.

But now I have water, so things are about to get wet:

I'm used to making my own water but now that I live in NYC, I don't have the room to start a meth lab mix saltwater so this was a pretty good solution. $20 for 4.4 gallons through Foster & Smith delivered to my door without me having to carry 40 lbs. of water on the train.  I also signed up for a monthly delivery which got me a $10 discount on future orders. :happy:

Oops, thanks for straightening me out.  It will be fun following your pico.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, el fabuloso said:

I am lazy and also don't make my own water. Tell me more about this?

Got a special delivery today!

B643B289-CABC-4DFD-92E6-89C001017D4B_zps

I was hoping to get these over the weekend but we've had a cold front with some chilly days so I decided to hold off on the delivery. In any case, today was the day and the FedEx guy seemed way more excited about delivering it than I was at receiving.

FedEx guy: Live jellyfish!!! Now what does one do with live jellyfish?

Me: You put 'em in a tank.

FedEx guy: ...

Me: And then you eat them.

FedEx guy: Say what?! For real?

Me: Nah. I'm messing with ya. ;)

Opened the package and was surprised to find a couple of ice packs in the box instead of heat packs. Or maybe none at all. I guess I forget that moon jellyfish are a cold water species but with the weather already cold as it is, I guess I figured an ice pack wasn't needed at all. The jellies seemed happy nonetheless, bells fully extended and some pulsing action. I floated the bag into the tank to temp acclimate. There are a total of three moon jellies. Two small ones and one medium sized one.

49A91D2D-155F-4ACB-A4B0-4E86C2B04834_zps

After twenty minutes I started replacing a bit of the water in the bag with the water from the tank using a turkey baster. I continued doing this at five minute intervals for another thirty minutes. The jellies seemed to be responding well by becoming even more active over time.

017F2563-F12A-46F1-85F0-D27471BA5663_zps

4C3DA975-BF93-4D30-A5FF-67856E4EB941_zps

Once they were fully acclimated I simply tipped the bag into the tank to release them. This was important as jeliles shouldn't be exposed to air or they run into the risk of folding or their bells collapsing completely. Air bubbles are also not good for them although one of them has a few air bubbles inside its bell and I'm hoping these will go away on their own.

Here's a little video of how it all went down:

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
Christopher Marks

This is really cool @el fabuloso, I have always been curious about these jellyfish tanks and mail order delivery. I have been trying to ignore them :lol: 

It all seems pretty painless, what's the planned maintenance routine like? Did you cycle the tank in some manner? They are absolutely fascinating.

• Like 1