Cultivated Reef

reefcrimp's contest pico

reefcrimp

16 hours ago, Rene said:

I like the shape of this!

Thanks!

16 hours ago, TFish77 said:

Very cool. Any plans to put a lid on it at all or just leave it open?

Thanks! I have a circular sheet of acrylic that I plan on using.  I still have to cut out a portion for the airline and the heater cord though.

8 hours ago, vlangel said:

Nice.  What is the volume that it holds?

Thanks!  It's 9" tall with a 7" diameter.  With rock and sand it holds about a gallon of water.

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for the lack of updates, just moved to a new place and things have been kind of crazy.

The pico's finally done cycling and is a home to a maxi mini that's doing well so far (fingers crossed).  It definitely won't be long term but I wanted to see how this anemone would do in a pico.  She doesn't leave much room for anything else though.  I've been feeding her PE calanus and mysis a few times a week.  I'll be getting some sexy shrimp to add to the pico soon.

Some pico specs:

-CoralCompulsion 14W Par30 Superblu

-apump Air Pump

-50W Archaea Heater

Time for some photos, let me know what you think!

Aquascape:

PA210013 2PA210020 2

December FTS:

P1070066

• Like 4
15 hours ago, reefcrimp said:

Sorry for the lack of updates, just moved to a new place and things have been kind of crazy.

The pico's finally done cycling and is a home to a maxi mini that's doing well so far (fingers crossed).  It definitely won't be long term but I wanted to see how this anemone would do in a pico.  She doesn't leave much room for anything else though.  I've been feeding her PE calanus and mysis a few times a week.  I'll be getting some sexy shrimp to add to the pico soon.

Some pico specs:

-CoralCompulsion 14W Par30 Superblu

-apump Air Pump

-50W Archaea Heater

Time for some photos, let me know what you think!

Aquascape:

PA210013 2PA210020 2

December FTS:

P1070066

Nem looks so huge in there! :lol:

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

I really like it, Simple and elegant. Did you build that light fixture? I need some thing for that kind of bulb style. I bought a cheap clip on at Wal-Mart but the bulb is too heavy.

I got a clamp on task light for under $20 from Amazon, some office supply stores carry lamps like that too. Might be an option for you.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

I really like it, Simple and elegant. Did you build that light fixture? I need some thing for that kind of bulb style. I bought a cheap clip on at Wal-Mart but the bulb is too heavy.

Ha! I wish, I got the lamp from CB2.  The only downside to the lamp is that I can't adjust the height of the bulb so I may use another lamp with more flexibility.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Not much to update at the moment, anemone's still going strong.

January FTS:

P1070041

Two of these guys added to the tank:

P1270021

Still contemplating what i can add to the tank for a fuller look.  Any suggestions?

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

This month's update won't be such a great one, got a healthy bloom of cyano that I'm battling at the moment.  I should've paid more attention to feeding in such a small tank.  Anyone have any tips on how to mitigate cyano in pico tanks without overdosing?  I've been feeding every other day with weekly water changes but I cut feedings down to twice a week I'm wondering if I should just do a water change every time I feed the anemone.

I've also added some pom pom gracilaria to fill in the back right before the cyano hit, hopefully the macro will help as well.  Not looking good for the last month but here's a bubbly February FTS:

P3030064

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

The contest is coming to a close!  March 31st will be the official end of the competition and then the voting will begin.  In order to help the community decide what tanks to vote for, each remaining contestant will need to do the following:

1. PM me three (3) final photos that you think summarize your container reef.  The composition for two of these is up to you, but one of them should be a final FTS taken sometime during the month of March.
  2. PM me a written summary of your container reef build and experiences throughout the competition.  This should be no more than 250 words.
  3. These items must be private messaged to me by midnight (Pacific Standard Time) on March 31st.
  • 3 weeks later...
On 03/03/2018 at 3:34 PM, reefcrimp said:

This month's update won't be such a great one, got a healthy bloom of cyano that I'm battling at the moment.  I should've paid more attention to feeding in such a small tank.  Anyone have any tips on how to mitigate cyano in pico tanks without overdosing?  I've been feeding every other day with weekly water changes but I cut feedings down to twice a week I'm wondering if I should just do a water change every time I feed the anemone.

I've also added some pom pom gracilaria to fill in the back right before the cyano hit, hopefully the macro will help as well.  Not looking good for the last month but here's a bubbly February FTS:

P3030064

You could remove the rock and livestock, empty the container, clean container, wash the sand bed fully until it runs clear.

You can use tap and final rinse with sw.

Replace everything.

This should get rid of the cyano. Worked well when I had my gha  and algae outbreak 

Tank looks gr8. I like the simplicity and elegance of it.