Pod Your Reef

Rene's Marineland Contour 3 - New NPS

Rene

8 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

Well knock me down and steal my teeth, tank's lookin' good!

Thanks a bunch!  

Here, have a picture of a fancy worm for good measure. 

IMG_20180301_195543_DRO.jpg

• Like 2

I like to spend some time every day looking at the tank with a jeweler's loupe, a little hand-held magnifier, to check out some of the tiniest critters in the reef. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who does this, but it's a practice I've kept on since getting my first nano. It's allowed me to see episodes of tiny Wild Kingdom, like amphipod turf wars, or spaghetti worms feeding.

Today?  

A tiny collonista snail wearing a much tinier collonista snail as a hat. 

These are common hitchhikers in reef tanks and often mistaken as babies of other snails. This one is smaller than a grain of rice and they don't get much bigger than 1/8". They're harmless nocturnal grazers and a good addition to the cleaning crew. They will breed readily in tanks where fish and larger inverts don't eat them all.

IMG_20180303_082627_DRO-01.jpeg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2018 at 9:16 PM, Rene said:

Y'all, I GOT ALL THE FRAGS OFF THE SANDBED!  

Happy dance! 

Except for the Galaxea. No one likes that guy. 

Pictures in a day or two when the tank clears up. Seriously. Frags in the sandbed were killing me. It's like dirty laundry on the floor. Put it away!  

Lol I have frags on the sandbed in every one of my tanks right now.

On 3/1/2018 at 10:40 AM, Rene said:

I have a poor-quality cellphone camera as my photo gear. My disposable income is limited so I'm working with what I have. I also have a jeweler's loupe that I keep next to the tank to spy on tiny aquarium life.

Hmm....both of these things have lenses. 

As it turns out, the jeweler's loupe makes a pretty sweet macro photo kit for a phone if you are patient. 

IMG_20180228_170425_DRO-01.jpeg

A long-ago member here, c est ma, used to use a jeweler's loupe and a point and shoot camera to take the most amazing pics of life in her little 5.5. She was one of my original inspirations for getting into the hobby.

14 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Lol I have frags on the sandbed in every one of my tanks right now.

A long-ago member here, c est ma, used to use a jeweler's loupe and a point and shoot camera to take the most amazing pics of life in her little 5.5. She was one of my original inspirations for getting into the hobby.

I remember c est ma!  I had no idea she did the jeweler's loupe thing. Brilliant!  I have one of those clip-on camera lense thingies but this works so much better. 

Bunch of new additions to the tank, but it will be awhile before a new FTS, I'm waiting for everything to settle in. The very kind @vlangel sent me some macroalgae, and then I added a few more on my own. We will see how they do, so far pretty much everything looks good but the last time I tried macros, they went on a slow decline. They should do well considering how heavily I feed this tank so who knows...

I also picked up two new NPS from saltcritters. Finding ones that are small enough to fit in the pico has been a challenge so I snapped these up, unsure of what exactly I was getting. They are about the size of a pencil eraser and apparently open sporadically in the day, which is a nice bonus. They look a little different than my other pink and yellow polyps, with a lighter pink body and dark orange oral disks. Once I am sure they are stable I will mount them on the rocks. 

IMG_20180317_134314_DRO-01.jpeg

• Like 4
  • 9 months later...