Top Shelf Aquatics

Savas' Cat Jar Pico (broken...)

SavaS

***project is on pause for now 10/30/17***

So here it is, my Creative Container Pico entry...

Got this Jar from a friends' mother, it has been stored in her garage for several years now-I noticed it when I was helping repair damage from Irma-and she happily gave it to me.

I don't use condiments so I took the pic with some smoked burbon simple syrup-Though that might be considered a condiment for alcohol

Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet, considering all Favias or Acans, it's all still up in the air.

Going to use a 40 gph pump for circulation which I already have

Ordered a 15w Par LED bulb from ebay

Hoping to grab some live rock at the lfs this weekend

Jasper-the noisy rescue kitten-decided to check the jar for leaks

Jar holds 2.3 gallons of water

Planning to design some sort of base and hood

That's all for now...

2017-10-24 18.46.26.jpg

2017-10-24 18.45.36.jpg

2017-10-21 20.30.32.jpg

• Like 9

Another nosy cat! YES!!! They are the wild card. Always making it interesting. I have to keep my cat's play tree a certain distance from the tanks. He likes to go crazy on it and it eventually falls over.

I would definitely consider that a condiment. Probably one of the best we have seen thus far. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, duderubble said:

I'll see your gray kitty and raise you two (three if you count dad).  Good luck on the pico!

1508886935949298676219.jpg

3 hours ago, SavaS said:

So here it is, my Creative Container Pico entry...

Got this Jar from a friends' mother, it has been stored in her garage for several years now-I noticed it when I was helping repair damage from Irma-and she happily gave it to me.

I don't use condiments so I took the pic with some smoked burbon simple syrup-Though that might be considered a condiment for alcohol

Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet, considering all Favias or Acans, it's all still up in the air.

Going to use a 40 gph pump for circulation which I already have

Ordered a 15w Par LED bulb from ebay

Hoping to grab some live rock at the lfs this weekend

Jasper-the noisy rescue kitten-decided to check the jar for leaks

Jar holds 2.3 gallons of water

Planning to design some sort of base and hood

That's all for now...

2017-10-24 18.46.26.jpg

2017-10-24 18.45.36.jpg

2017-10-21 20.30.32.jpg

I'll see both your gray kitties and raise you this gray cat/blob :lol:

yoXpzoD.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

@TFish77 lol, your cat reminds me of the night I brought Jasper in from the woods, hair all wild, flea ridden and looked like he had mange (it was ringworm) he's nowhere near as big but sleeps just like that.

***so in tank related news... 

I've decided to detail my idea because I have noticed that several of the container ideas presented are ideas I've been playing with in my head and now I have to do something different. I haven't read every thread yet so hopefully it is still an original idea at this point. 

I plan to build a rotating tank. 

The hood of my jar will be built to support the light and some sort of hook system that my live rock will hang from situated to the rear of the tank, the hood will have a arm of some sort to hold it just above the tank. The tank will be bare bottom except for a few well placed pieces of rock that will hopefully act like a propeller of sorts and will cause the water to circulate. This is all in theory of course... Still debating on coral, I want low light and flow options so favia might still be a option, although a floating rock covered in xenias over a rotating carpet of Gsp could look pretty good as well. Thoughts? 

• Like 2
  • Wow 4
49 minutes ago, SavaS said:

@TFish77 lol, your cat reminds me of the night I brought Jasper in from the woods, hair all wild, flea ridden and looked like he had mange (it was ringworm) he's nowhere near as big but sleeps just like that.

***so in tank related news... 

I've decided to detail my idea because I have noticed that several of the container ideas presented are ideas I've been playing with in my head and now I have to do something different. I haven't read every thread yet so hopefully it is still an original idea at this point. 

I plan to build a rotating tank. 

The hood of my jar will be built to support the light and some sort of hook system that my live rock will hang from situated to the rear of the tank, the hood will have a arm of some sort to hold it just above the tank. The tank will be bare bottom except for a few well placed pieces of rock that will hopefully act like a propeller of sorts and will cause the water to circulate. This is all in theory of course... Still debating on coral, I want low light and flow options so favia might still be a option, although a floating rock covered in xenias over a rotating carpet of Gsp could look pretty good as well. Thoughts? 

That's a neat idea! Sounds like a washing machine? Can't wait to see this in action!

While at work today I'm playing around with ideas for the base and hood, circles are always a pain. Right now I'm leaning towards cutting several 10" diameter circles out of 3/4 " plywood and stacking them to the height I need. Going to have to see what I have in the garage. Ideally a few pieces of 10" pvc pipe would be awesome but not something I normally encounter in the pool building business. 

So there is some progress... 

Came home from work and decided to put off dinner and taking a break to go to the garage and cut some circles... 

Eight cuts resulted in 4 circles that would make Bob vila cringe. Two hours later and a brilliant idea lead me to using my belt sander in a way that led it to believe it was OK to eat my finger... 

20171025_183846.jpg

20171025_183919.jpg

20171025_183850.jpg

• Wow 1

So after all of that I decided the circles just weren't going to work. I should have had a beer first rather than after. Frustrated to say the least I noticed a wooden cable reel I've had for a while now, the center of it was perfect for what I needed. Yes it is made of cardboard and yes I am off in the head enough to try it. It's about a 1/4" thick and will be reinforced where needed. The lid will be wrapped on the inside with aluminum sheeting. I'm just debating on how to dress up the outside. I'm leaning towards a diy faux stone made with foam and concrete like I did in my freshwater tank. Thoughts are always appreciated. 

20171025_190056.jpg

20171025_192922.jpg

20171025_193035.jpg

• Like 2

Sometimes when building pools we have a customer who has expensive tastes and end up building some crazy designs and using some pretty unique tile, most of which I take the leftovers home. So we are nearing completion on a remodel and I have a new box of scrap tiles. These are some mosaic collection the homeowners ordered from overseas, each 12" X 12" sheet is 42$... So I'm debating on wrapping the tank stand and hood with them... Still not sure if I will or not but I have it available if I don't think of something better... Thoughts? 

20171026_170235.jpg

20171026_170300.jpg

20171026_192541.jpg

• Like 6

So I did a bit of work on the stand for the tank this afternoon. Another day cutting circles, though this time it was out of 1/4" underlayment which is loads easier to cut. So basically the tank and electric turntable will sit on the wood stand and the cardboard exterior will be just a shell not actually supporting any of the weight. So far it looks promising... So far... 

20171026_182131.jpg

20171026_182142.jpg

• Like 3

Do a border with them, but don't cover everything in them, I think that will look better.

Or maybe do a band of them in the middle of the top and bottom. 

• Like 1

Depending on what I end up using to wrap the outside - tile or diy rock - that should seal the exterior, I will also add some sort of clear coat to that as well. The interior will be clear coated with either a spray or a two part epoxy brushed on. I just have to settle on what I am going to do for the outside. I may just end up doing a spray texture that gives it a stone look. 

• Like 1

So far I'm leaning towards the tile, I have a dark gray grout left over from another job I did that I think will really make the tile pop more, I just need to head to my home away from home (home depot) and get some adhesive. Hopefully I can get by there after work today and get started.  

• Like 1

So today I grabbed a few pounds of live rock that is currently residing in a bucket with a pump and hanging out until I'm ready for it. I got a haircut today which resulted in the lady in the LFS selling me three frags of hammer corals for 5$ apiece! lol, I doubt it was the haircut... Got another free handful of zoas and what looks like green star polyps. Currently having a beer (or three) and stalking ebay auctions for coral. Won two zoanthinds so far. Who's alive? (I'll post pictures later)

• Like 3
3 hours ago, SavaS said:

A bucket of rocks hanging out and my winnings thus far...

20171027_203832.jpg

20171027_203911.jpg

Wow what a freakin steal! Even with shipping those are such a good deal and are gonna look amazing. 

Guess I need to check out ebay lol. 

• Thanks 1

Definitely, eBay is a great place to get coral in my opinion especially with the crazy prices and lack of selection my lfs offers. Spending today in a attic doing some electrical work. Side work pays for my hobbies lol

20171028_094426.jpg

• Like 1