Innovative Marine Aquariums

Refugium or skimmer

silvertoe

OK, so why either or?

Well, this new build of mine is a bit unusual- a 16L display over a 10-15L sump. I wanted it to be simple (I know picos aren't necessarily simple) but also use it as a first try of a sump for me.

The question is, would people recommend a skimmer or a fuge in the sump? Would a fuge be beneficial when so small? Given my drain setup, I actually can't push huge flow through my sump so equally, perhaps, a skimmer wouldn't be all that effective?

The plan is a fishless system with just two or three colonies of different corals.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

IMG_0992.thumb.JPG.0423be840afc442034c22662431c8cc8.JPGFullSizeRender.jpg.10187eaea9aa41c648ad59832ab9193a.jpg

Thanks dude,

You're quite right- why not both. Ultimately I wanted to keep the plugs required down and also running costs. I did wonder about bio load being so low too.

Thanks man, appreciate your input.

I think a refugium would be much more beneficial for the microfauna production. No need for a skimmer in a fishless system this small as a 100% water change can fix any nutrient issues.

• Like 2

Hahah fishless.... yea ok, we’ll see how long that lasts. 

But I would go fuge with cheato with no fish system. Once you add fish, then add the skimmer. If you are concerned on space in the sump, find a hob skimmer and just hang it on the sump.