Coral Vue Hydros

Tom@HaslettMI

Tom@HaslettMI

Hello all!

After much internal debate... I'm in. I have a few ideas on where I want to take this itty bitty ecosystem, but I've not landed on a final plan yet.

What I do know is I want this thread to have a non-reef keeping theme.  So, post will of course be focused on the "tank" but I will also attempt to enrich readers with something more.  Thus the aforementioned theme, which will be the music of the late, great Fank Zappa. So, To keep with the theme each post will contain a secret word (like he did for so many if his concerts). And the secret word for this post is "vacuum flask"!

What?!? Why vacuum flask you ask? Well, because the creative container is a 4000 mL vacuum flask. I rescued this from the garbage about 10 years ago when my fellow grad student broke the vacuum hose barb off it. I've always wanted to make it either a terrarium or an aquarium. 

IMG_2800.thumb.JPG.f6376ecfcfe46fd1fd360cb8ac58cb2e.JPG

Posts may also include some lyrics or recommend a Zappa song to check out. 

More on the pico as I figure it out.

Happy pico reefing!

Tom

• Like 9

I am also looking forward to seeing how this one goes! B)

make sure you get clamping tweezers or something! would hate for the rock to slip free and do a slow tumble to the bottom and break the base. :( 

Tom@HaslettMI

Thanks for all of the likes and follows.  I appreciate it. The secret word for tonight. Is: "Puffin" (see link at end of post to see why!)

Still no physical progress on the flask.  I have been thinking about it a bit...

My dream is: macroalgae and dwarf seahorses. But I don't know if I want to commit to that level of food culture, and if I can't commit I'm not going to start. Second in line is a half-baked thought of a cryptic sponge forest. It'd be low cost to run. But I'm not sure how much growth would be visible in 6 months... or if it's even be doable. Plan C is sexy shrimp with a fuzzy mushroom or something. Your thoughts and opinions are welcome. 

Tom

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Tom@HaslettMI said:

Your thoughts and opinions are welcome. 

For a narrow neck, I think it would be neat spray some pond foam in it to make a rock structure.  While it's still wet you could place some rock rubble in the foam to build your rock structure.  Then pour some crushed coral over it to cover any exposed foam.

• Like 1

Interesting!  I agree...quite the challenge.  Once you get your coral and critters in there, I guess they stay where they are.  Especially with growth over time.  You'll have to break the glass to get things out :scarry:

Tom@HaslettMI
On 10/26/2017 at 2:23 AM, seabass said:

For a narrow neck, I think it would be neat spray some pond foam in it to make a rock structure.  While it's still wet you could place some rock rubble in the foam to build your rock structure.  Then pour some crushed coral over it to cover any exposed foam.

Good thinking!  My concern with doing that is exactly what gena brought up... I don't want to break the flask!

Tom@HaslettMI
9 hours ago, gena said:

Interesting!  I agree...quite the challenge.  Once you get your coral and critters in there, I guess they stay where they are.  Especially with growth over time.  You'll have to break the glass to get things out :scarry:

Small and or soft critters only!  The opening is actually about 2" across... so plenty of room... maybe?

• 4 weeks later...

Don't eat the yellow snow where the huskies go. White base and rocks with only yellow corals.

Be a dental floss tycoon. Attach all corals to dental floss suspended from the rim.

Joes garage. Paint container like a garage, just grow one frag of joe the coral acro.

Baby snakes. Just grow snake polyps.

Cant really think of anything related to Bobby Brown, unless you put something in that changes sex from male to female. Given the confined space, I'd not recommend it.

• Like 1
Tom@HaslettMI

Been awhile since I posted... I have not spent a lot of time or $ on the pico yet. I did get sand and water in it to start cycling.  It is currently running a 25 watt heater and an air pump for circulation.

I still need to decide on a light... I’m leaning toward a CFL rather that LED.

Here’s the November FTS... not much to look at!

952A52D6-C021-47E0-84CD-5F16AA86AEFD.thumb.jpeg.ff03ad288af34b457fee2ef4d2eaa7fd.jpeg

and here’s Frank!

Tom

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
Tom@HaslettMI

Is December over already?  Man, have I been slacking on this pico. Sad to say nothing has changed this month... still just sand and saltwater. I did order a ZooMed ReefSun CFL bulb, but have not set it up yet.  January will be different.  

Here’s the obligatory monthly FTS. 

06708B9E-5162-495F-ABA0-32ACC22ED84A.thumb.jpeg.6f4684d10184af1ffe98257d1b14044c.jpeg

Zappa time!  This summarizes my efforts in December...

E6B03B63-4AED-47C4-ABCF-01BB653F60EF.jpeg.a19a2e3873a159fc4d405e64ce44b1f9.jpeg

Keep rocking!

Tom

• Haha 2
Tom@HaslettMI

Update:  I had to cut back some fuzzy shroom in my main tank, so into the flask they go!  

BCA1A0C3-1879-481D-A067-0AB9C3F2A338.thumb.jpeg.ea3f5ca000dd7169dfc4f3676061fcc1.jpeg

I also got the CLF set up. Overall I like the color a lot. I had forgotten how nice and even fluorescent lighting is.

Tom  

8A7549ED-B72A-4E2B-AB0C-5F3991351951.jpeg

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
Tom@HaslettMI
2 hours ago, Felicia said:

I have not yet received your January FTS for the contest.  Please pm it to me as soon as possible.

Thanks for the reminder!  PM on its way!

Slow progress...

9168FA06-B028-493A-A1F6-84E3F9A11A3E.thumb.jpeg.1a011110dd5b24a1d5e277edec1adaec.jpeg

Close up

64EC8203-8FC1-4C50-8EE2-1273CFA7E835.thumb.jpeg.9e916abb53417a84bfd95214cf15be63.jpeg

top down

3F8DEB6B-D7C8-49D5-84AD-E516104A0240.thumb.jpeg.1734d1264e8987bf6a55fbe6b1e55d48.jpeg

Tom

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
Tom@HaslettMI

I feel like the technical aspects should be covered more thoroughly. 

Heat = Aqueon mini heater (buried in the sand) with InkBird temp controller. 

Light = ZooMed CFL. Plugged into main tank’s APEX for on/off control. 

Flow = single outlet apump air pump. 

Livestock... so far just macroalgae and mushrooms. 

• Like 2
Tom@HaslettMI

This pico needs an animal in it. Too small for a fish... I’m thinking may be a porcelain crab. Please let me know if that’s a bad idea or not. 

Thanks,

Tom

• 2 weeks later...