Cultivated Reef

zoanthid problem/bleaching

REEFERzz24

Does anyone have any idea why one of my zoanthids is starting to bleach? My parameters are all good(my nitrate goes back and forth between 1-5 and pH 7.8-8.0) Maxspect razor r420r LED lights. Also in the pictures you can see that its only visible when the polyps are closed but it doesn't open up fully like it used to. I moved it a little lower in the tank a week ago and this is the first day i noticed it, when i turned the pumps off to feed the fish. Could moving it have done that since it is only 3 weeks new to my tank.

IMG_0246.JPG

IMG_0247.JPG

2 minutes ago, REEFERzz24 said:
Does anyone have any idea why one of my zoanthids is starting to bleach? My parameters are all good(my nitrate goes back and forth between 1-5 and pH 7.8-8.0) Maxspect razor r420r LED lights. Also in the pictures you can see that its only visible when the polyps are closed but it doesn't open up fully like it used to. I moved it a little lower in the tank a week ago and this is the first day i noticed it, when i turned the pumps off to feed the fish. Could moving it have done that since it is only 3 weeks new to my tank.

IMG_0246.JPG

IMG_0247.JPG

I wouldn’t consider that bleaching. That’s what most zoas look like when they close. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, VaporCountry said:

Yea they look pretty normal and healthy to me. They might not be opening quite as much due to the new location though

okay so how long should it take till it starts to open fully again? Or should i put it back where it was?

Well I mean that is kinda up to you but you could try turning your lights up a little bit and see how they react. It could also be because of flow as well. Sometimes zoas can just be finicky for no reason lol. When the lights are on are they staying closed a lot like in the first picture or open most of the time?

3 minutes ago, VaporCountry said:

Well I mean that is kinda up to you but you could try turning your lights up a little bit and see how they react. It could also be because of flow as well. Sometimes zoas can just be finicky for no reason lol. When the lights are on are do they staying closed a lot like in the first picture or open most of the time?

i just noticed it from today i turned the lights up so i could get a good picture and left it. its about the same as it kinda has been but not like it was before i moved it

Well to me they look pretty good as long as they are staying open most of the day. I would try turning your lights up a bit for a few days and see how they do. 

I changed the settings on my lights higher which sounds like what  is the problem now that i think about it. Before it was higher and got more light. Already notice the color is better still not opening all the way I'll do an update tomorrow

• Like 1