LongPig

New Beginnings

LongPig

I haven't been here in quite some time due to the break-up of a 13 year relationship. I broke down my last nano when she left because I found myself not caring about anything in my life including myself so I couldn't care for any other living creatures. My ex also took our dogs, who were very old, and they actually ended up passing within a few weeks of each other only a month after the break up of our family. This all happened almost two years ago. I've bought myself watches, sneakers and guns and I now find myself itching to have something in my life that I need to care about. I'm looking to possibly pull the trigger on an IM Nuvo Fusion 20 gallon. I was looking for others who have this aquarium or knowledge of this aquarium that can help me with equipment upgrade suggestions.

FTS 12/10/17

3D8895F2-3B0B-4EEA-A7F4-B241FF22E866.jpeg

FTS 12/31/17

54F5BA4A-B2C2-4981-8CA1-653B978F2D27.jpeg

FTS 1/26/18

BED4FC9C-EB36-4C59-B424-815F1D5ED687.jpeg

• Like 2

Subsea

The one review that stuck was that circulating pump was not up to the standards of the rest of the system.  When I looked at specks for circulating pump at 260 GPHr, I find that inadequate for a reef tank.  Depends on your aquascaping and live stock, but you could make it work.  It depends on your husbandry skills.  The one link that I looked at did not show lighting.  

Suggestions:

Get good quality LED lighting.  

Upgrade pump for more circulation.

What live stock are you considering?  

Because I am a laissez faire reef keeper, after 45 years in the hobby, I continue to focus on minimalist set ups.  I enjoy the beauty of my mixed garden lagoon.  As of two weeks ago, I changed a 25 year old mud/macro refugium into a cryptic zone filter.  

On top of 30G cryptic zone filter is 75G Jaubert Plenum.  I have added some gorgonions and red tree sponges.  Most recently, I added one of my favorite filerfeeders.  The flame scallops.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

LongPig

I'm not 100% sure what I want to do with this one. Something different than all the ones before. I did go ahead and buy the tank though because Foster & Smith gave me 25% off and a $30 gift card plus free shipping so it ended up being $149 to my door.

• Like 1

Subsea

What did you like about previous tanks?  

After being in this hobby for 45 years, I have tried many different things and equipment.  It helps to have a plan in advance.  Know what you want and build a compatiable system around it.

HarryPotter
1 hour ago, LongPig said:

I'm not 100% sure what I want to do with this one. Something different than all the ones before. I did go ahead and buy the tank though because Foster & Smith gave me 25% off and a $30 gift card to Marine Depot plus free shipping so it ended up being $149 to my door.

Well first off would to be purchasing some sand and rock to get cycling! Then can add heaters, upgraded media baskets, lighting, a powerhead, upgraded return pump, etc. 

I recommend ReefCleaners dry rock. You get a lot for your money and it is pest free! Because its dry you can use glue or epoxy to make awesome aquascapes with overhangs and such. 

LongPig
23 minutes ago, Subsea said:

What did you like about previous tanks?  

After being in this hobby for 45 years, I have tried many different things and equipment.  It helps to have a plan in advance.  Know what you want and build a compatiable system around it.

I know I'll at least be using either Tunze Pumps or Vortechs. A Tunze auto top off too. I'm more wondering how people upgraded their IM's from stock. I see that there are people using intank media baskets instead of the stock but what about skimmers? is anyone running one of those intank fuge baskets? I'm used to building and plumbing everything from scratch so this is new to me plus I'm sure in the past two years new products have come out.

Subsea
2 hours ago, LongPig said:

I'm not 100% sure what I want to do with this one. Something different than all the ones before. I did go ahead and buy the tank though because Foster & Smith gave me 25% off and a $30 gift card to Marine Depot plus free shipping so it ended up being $149 to my door.

If you want to do something different, try “less technology/more biology.  Get live sand and diver collected gulf live rock and cycle your tank.  This rock has numerous filter feeders,fans, sponges, tunicates,  and Bryozoans.

I just received these three nano rocks.

image.jpg

HarryPotter
11 minutes ago, Subsea said:

If you want to do something different, try “less technology/more biology.  Get live sand and diver collected gulf live rock and cycle your tank.  This rock has numerous filter feeders,fans, sponges, tunicates,  and Bryozoans.

I just received these three nano rocks.

image.jpg

You should post all your photos in your tank thread :) They're really good. 

• Like 2

LongPig

I'll have to figure it out as I go along. In the past I've had  a seahorse/gorgonian reef, a frogfish lagoon, an octopus playground and a Peacock Mantis/macroalgae reef.

22E1074E-30B7-4B92-AC3B-6B5BBD43D88F-119-0000007FDF0A5689.JPG

533AD079-6581-4249-9AA7-F6F2F4F79DEA-5570-000002F1ADCF2A4F.JPG

2557ab5d.JPG

847FC9CA-B239-4C4D-96C1-D83F19F2A122-6601-0000034340979522.JPG

• Like 5

Lula_Mae

:welcome: back!  The IM tanks are very nice, though most people seem to upgrade the stock pumps.  I believe Sicce pumps are popular choices (not sure what size you'll need).  I know there's threads around here for IM 10 and 25 lagoon owners, not sure if there's one for IM 20 owners but you could look at those tank threads and see what others have done for filtration and upgrades to give you ideas.  I'm sure you will come up with something awesome after your previous tanks. :)

LongPig
13 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

:welcome: back!  The IM tanks are very nice, though most people seem to upgrade the stock pumps.  I believe Sicce pumps are popular choices (not sure what size you'll need).  I know there's threads around here for IM 10 and 25 lagoon owners, not sure if there's one for IM 20 owners but you could look at those tank threads and see what others have done for filtration and upgrades to give you ideas.  I'm sure you will come up with something awesome after your previous tanks. :)

Thank you!

metrokat

Hi Piggy :wub:

If you are set on the 20G volume, consider the IM Peninsula.

Oh, too late.

LongPig
2 minutes ago, metrokat said:

Hi Piggy :wub:

If you are set on the 20G volume, consider the IM Peninsula.

Hello my dear! I thought about it but I don't have room for the peninsula in the space where I want the tank to go. I ordered it on Saturday so it should be here any day now.

• Like 1

metrokat
10 minutes ago, LongPig said:

Hello my dear! I thought about it but I don't have room for the peninsula in the space where I want the tank to go. I ordered it on Saturday so it should be here any day now.

IM just took out a refugium light in case you want to grow some chaeto in the back.

LongPig
1 minute ago, metrokat said:

IM just took out a refugium light in case you want to grow some chaeto in the back.

I did notice that when I was on Marine Depot. I might grab that and an InTank fuge basket

• Like 1

patback

Glad to see you back long pig. Hope you and your son are doing good.  

Sorry, no experience with the im 20's. 

• Like 2

LongPig
16 minutes ago, patback said:

Glad to see you back long pig. Hope you and your son are doing good.  

Sorry, no experience with the im 20's. 

Thanks Pat! Casey is doing well. He moved to Northern VA and works a lot so I don't see him as much as I'd like to but he's happy.

• Like 1

Christopher Marks

Welcome back to the community @LongPig, it's good to have you here again :) 

The hobby has evolved a lot, I think you're going to have a lot of fun!

LongPig
2 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Welcome back to the community @LongPig, it's good to have you here again :) 

The hobby has evolved a lot, I think you're going to have a lot of fun!

Thank you sir! I’m hoping so. I’ve loved this hobby since I saw an article about it in Aquarium Fish magazine that mentioned this site and led me to sign up in ‘05. I can’t think of a better place to start my new life. 

• Like 1

LongPig

Okay besides the aquarium itself, here is my purchased list so far. I have a couple more things to get still but I think this is a good start.

~ReefBreeders Photon 16-V2

~Sicce Syncra Silent 1.5 

~2 MP10wQD’s

~InTank fuge

~InTank Media baskets

~IM AUQA Gadget Hydrofill ATO Reservoir

~IM AUQA Gadget Chaetomax

~AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro

~Cobalt Neotherm 100 watt

~TropicEden Reeflakes

LongPig

Ok it’s here and in it’s new home! I think the tank going to look great in it’s new resting place. 

549519E4-A233-4F9B-8F19-5D71D7563492.jpeg

• Like 3

metrokat

Love it

LongPig
19 hours ago, metrokat said:

Love it

Thank you my dear. I've got almost everything in to get this started except for my custom scape from jester6. That should be here soon though.

YHSublime

I had the IM20 for a short moment in time. I was keeping nems in it, upgraded the light to an XHO Reefbrite strip. Took up too much room on my kitchen counter.

Just wanted to chime in and say I love the decor around the tank!

LongPig
On 10/30/2017 at 6:45 PM, YHSublime said:

I had the IM20 for a short moment in time. I was keeping nems in it, upgraded the light to an XHO Reefbrite strip. Took up too much room on my kitchen counter.

Just wanted to chime in and say I love the decor around the tank!

Thanks a lot for the input. I got a ReefBreeders Photon 16-V2 for my light.