Top Shelf Aquatics

Infestation on Plate Coral?

cbleehk

Hi, someone please help identify whether this is a pest/infestation or is this a normal part of it's "body"?  There seems to be a pretty big hole and this star like creature with shiny feeders like strings extending out.  When I try to touch it with my tweezers it retracts inside and shows a big hole on the skeleton of the plate coral.

IMG_3183.jpg

2 minutes ago, cbleehk said:

Hi, someone please help identify whether this is a pest/infestation or is this a normal part of it's "body"?  There seems to be a pretty big hole and this star like creature with shiny feeders like strings extending out.  When I try to touch it with my tweezers it retracts inside and shows a big hole on the skeleton of the plate coral.

IMG_3183.jpg

Looks like aiptasia from that pic

1 hour ago, cbleehk said:

Thanks Christy, how can I help my plate coral and remove it?

Does dipping work?

Would a peppermint shrimp eat it off of the coral?

Honestly I’m not sure. I’ve never had one grow right on a Coral like that. Maybe just try to spot treat? I am new to plates myself and I don’t know how much “harassment” they can take. 

Looks like a type of tube worm to me. Possibly some type of sabellid. If it is, the tube extends into the skeleton of the coral, where there is no living tissue of the coral. They may irritate the coral in the area immediately around the worm. However, they are otherwise harmless to the coral, or anything else.

btw, nice long tentacle plate.

Thanks @RayWhisperer 

Good to hear it isn't gonna kill it.  I'll do more research also.

I really like this coral, it is also one of 3 survivors from the last apocalypse and has recovered really well.  It looks like the skeleton around the worm has retracted.

Short video if it helps to see clearer.

• Like 1

Hmm. Looks bigger than I thought. I'm not sure if it's a sabellid, now. They are small worms. That crown looks bigger. Sabellids have a crown that's about 1/2" across. You'd be a better judge at the size we are looking at.

Still, by your description, it sounds like some type of tube worm.