ReefCleaners.org

Flame angel

Newtothehobby

Newtothehobby

Hi so I fell in love with a flame angel at my local pet store.? I absolutely want to purchase him. I was wondering if flame angels like length to their tank or if I didn’t matter as long as the tank is large and they have enough swimming space. On other forums I read that flames needed as much as a 100 gallon and sometimes as little as a 25-30 gallon. Which is true and is it safe to move my clowns into the new tank with him. Please note that I will not purchase this fish until I am 100% positive I can give it the best life possible. Thanks 

What size tank are you looking at putting it in? In general, I think most fish prefer swimming lengthwise, but there are all different types of aquariums. Your flame with be fine with a pair of clowns. What you want to think about if you have a reef tank is that dwarf angels are notorious for nipping coral. Some might right away, some never, and some possibly down the road. They are beautiful fish, looking forward to seeing what you decide!

Newtothehobby

I’m not really sure what size at the moment what would you recommend. The flame that I fell in love with and put on hold has been kept in a tank with a variety of corals. The store also agreed to tank it back if any coral nipping acured. 

• Like 1

I used to keep a flame angel in a 34-gallon Red Sea Max with a pair of percs. He was an upstanding tank citizen who got along with all the other fish and left all the corals and inverts alone.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Newtothehobby said:

Could I do a 25 gallon lagoon tank

I had a flame in a 30 for about 1 1/2 years. Like el fabuloso said, not a bump in the road. A flame in general probably would feel a little cramped in a 25 so I'd say you'd run into territorial issues if anything. My Flame in the 30 was super docile and didnt bother anyone. I'd really say if you decided to get a flame in a 25, Id watch its behavior at your LRS and see if it would be a good fit. Dwarf angels are like triggers in how everyone has its own personality and is pretty different.

2 minutes ago, Newtothehobby said:

I am aware the store is saving a specific fish for me with a good docile personality. I am well aware that I need to cycle the tank.

Do you have any experience with a dwarf angel ? If not, youre in for a ride, especially in a 25. I'm not going to go all tang police and say "no you cant do that!" but to be fair, a 25 is going to have territorial issues no matter how docile it is. Mine clashed and bumped fins more times I can count but luckily no one got hurt. Good luck!

• 3 months later...
31 minutes ago, zamboni200000 said:

Do you guys think a small flame angel could be kept in a Fluval Evo 13.5 if it is the only fish?

The question is should you not could you..... and you should not. 

• Like 1
zamboni200000
40 minutes ago, William said:

The only Pygmy angel for that size tank would be one of the little blue and yellow cherub ones from fhe

atlantic. 

Cool I'll look into one of those.

I'm trying to find 1 fish that's different.... sick of clowns, gobys, etc.  I am fine with just one fish but want something unique.  Cheers.

On 2/27/2018 at 12:11 PM, zamboni200000 said:

Cool I'll look into one of those.

I'm trying to find 1 fish that's different.... sick of clowns, gobys, etc.  I am fine with just one fish but want something unique.  Cheers.

I disagree, I think a pygmy angel would do best in a longer tank. They are very active.

If you haven't purchased your tank yet, maybe go with a different choice? I think people should pick out their livestock before they pick out a tank to be honest. That way everyone wins. 

If I was going to pick one fish for a 13.5g that many people don't have, it would be a captive bred neon dottyback. You would not be able to keep shrimp though but they are very beautiful and have a lot of personality. 

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/21/2017 at 6:49 AM, Newtothehobby said:

Hi so I fell in love with a flame angel at my local pet store.? I absolutely want to purchase him. I was wondering if flame angels like length to their tank or if I didn’t matter as long as the tank is large and they have enough swimming space. On other forums I read that flames needed as much as a 100 gallon and sometimes as little as a 25-30 gallon. Which is true and is it safe to move my clowns into the new tank with him. Please note that I will not purchase this fish until I am 100% positive I can give it the best life possible. Thanks 

Flame Angels are notoriously aggressive towards other fish.  If you were dedicating a tank to one then it could do well in a relatively small tank, but not with tank mates.  I had one in my 36 gallon with Purple Firefish, Scissortail Dartfish, Green Mandarin, and Diamond Watchman Goby and it was immediately aggressive to the Purple Firefish and progressively went after the others.  Here is a vid of it: