inTank Media Baskets

is one snail better than another snail?

Friendly

The main difference is if they are bipedal or not. Bipedal snails (turbo snails, mexican snails) can right themselves automatically if they get flipped over. Some snails prefer certain types of algae over others but for the most part they all eat the same stuff.

Exactly, different snails eat different things and cover different areas of your tank. Also, some tend to be heartier than others. I've always recommended nassarius because they clean up left over food and stuff that gets to the sandbed. Torches are good all around cleaners and will cover all areas of your tank. Tiger sand conchs do a great job of eating algae, but tend to stay towards the bottom, although mine does a fair amount of rock climbing. Cerith snails also have a good reputation and if you get the chance to get a money cowrie, those are great cleaners too!

BustytheSnowMaam

I'm partial to turbos because they're good grazing snails.  I like the pretty design they make in the algal patina on my glass :lol:.  Some will complain that they get big and knock things over, but I've never had that problem.  Healthy ones will live forever.  But as others suggested, get a variety.