Cultivated Reef

AiO's and Sumps

Friendly

what are your thoughts on doing that? 

I loved the 5 gal bucket sump, as that must makes for a super simple water change, but aside from that, I see it as fairly redundant. if you have a sump, put all your gear and filter media in there and have an uncluttered aquarium.

of course, I get that AiO's target those who can't have a sump for some reason...and yet we see AiO's with sumps.

debate!!!  B)  

5 hours ago, Friendly said:

what are your thoughts on doing that? 

I loved the 5 gal bucket sump, as that must makes for a super simple water change, but aside from that, I see it as fairly redundant. if you have a sump, put all your gear and filter media in there and have an uncluttered aquarium.

of course, I get that AiO's target those who can't have a sump for some reason...and yet we see AiO's with sumps.

debate!!!  B)  

I think the AIO are a good idea for someone who is just entering the hobby, but designs from companies aren’t meant to handle the amount of filtration, flow, and just general equipment needed by the demands of some hobbyists. And then the AIO becomes “how do I add a sump to this”. 

The cost of setting up a “new” tank with a sump can be overwhelming for some so they modify what they have. 

Personally my I had two AIO 8g cubes and they were a pain to take care of. They evaporated a good amount, were hard to find a light that fit correctly, and parameter swings were common. 

I think it just depends on what your goals are.

I had AIO's then sumps, now back to AIO's.

I miss the large fuge in the sump but don't miss getting down on my knees and cleaning the sump.

They have so many more options now than they used to for skimmers, ATO's ect that all fit in a AIO... so I really feel either works. I hated AIO's previously but so much has changed I find them easy to maintain now.

I would definitely go with a sump with a tank 40+ gallons though.