ReefCleaners.org

Little Spiky Slug Thing

GlobalButterfly

GlobalButterfly

Brand new tank and complete newb. Can anyone ID this and let me know if he’s awesome and I’m super lucky or more likely, he’s a virulent pest waiting to kill and destroy anything I put in the tank. 

The bottom picture (black background) actually  includes a mirrored reflection as he swam upside down on the surface, but does provide a good side profile. 

Thanks!

E792ED87-5B33-42B5-93A5-1EAAB1B9CD7F.jpeg

5877BCC2-A8BD-4CBC-BF17-CDDB9D875FEC.jpeg

GlobalButterfly

I did wonder if he was a nudi but the pictures I kept seeing looked like they had little legs and I thought he looks more like a slug with spikes. 

Either way, probably NOT something I want to keep and name?

Isolate him, and see if he will eat cucumber or seaweed. Toss some other algae you can get with him as well. See if he appears to actively eat anything. Wouldn't hurt if you have a bubbler and a jar with a spare piece of small live rock. Shouldn't require to much to maintain in a separate system. See what happens! He also looks like a small sea hare to me as well. 

GlobalButterfly

He keeps going into the intake area on my Fluval Evo. Thought he was getting sucked in,  I’d rescue him and put him back in the tank but on the way he was swimming today (pretty strong and relatively quickly) I don’t think he’s getting accidentally sucked in. 

He’s actually grown quite a bit since I first saw him and it looked like he was squeezing himself into it today. 

18CD788D-530F-43F0-921A-5F9162643C3D.jpeg

3CECFD03-E574-4DAA-8192-1BCEADFD6B69.jpeg

GlobalButterfly

Thanks for all the help. I’ll keep an eye on him  and hope he doesn’t go over to the Dark Side. In any case, it’s only a three week old set up with hermit crabs and a few snails so I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.  

I got a better picture of him last night and he’s pretty cool looking. 

Thanks again!!

30D0189E-6000-48CC-8990-D03E32949DC8.jpeg

GlobalButterfly

We didn’t exactly start out with a “brand new” sterile tank. Let’s just say the tank MAY have started off with half a Homer bucket of ocean sand topped off with live sea water and about 20 hermit crabs my son collected on the last day of his fall break vacation to Panama City Beach.  It MAY have then been transported back to Atlanta in the back of a minivan with a submerged bubbler for oxygen.  

After a very brief stint in the old 20 gal. we had in the basement (topped off with about 50% fresh salt water from local LFS), my son’s little crab aquarium might have been upgraded (and taken over) by his mom.  

As we have been feeding the hermits pellets daily (probably way too much) and have had more than a few instances of fatalities due to crab battles and insurrections, we’ve given the tank algae a good jump start (lol). Also, he’s been spending most of his time in the little compartment where all the water, excess food & waste go before they go through the filter. Think he’s been gorging on leftover pellets. 

• Like 1

Ok one way to find out see if it gets big and fat!

Be careful though, if it's actually a hare. They can release toxins when they die or get stressed.

Especially with crabs that might nip on it.

GlobalButterfly

Thanks for all the help. LFS confirmed it IS a sea hare and that yes, he will most definitely outgrow my 13.5 gal Evo. He also said he would be MORE than happy to take it off my hands when the time comes. 

Given his his current growth rate that might be sooner than later.