ReefCleaners.org

Fishfreak's C.C. Coffee Pot Pico: Soft reboot complete

fishfreak0114

fishfreak0114
4 minutes ago, JoeR said:

That’s a pretty cool find I’d say. Plan on any other inhabitants? Maybe an Eviota goby? I’ve been thinking about a yellow clown for my three gal, probably can’t stuff even an eviota in my globe pico

Just saw your profile and here I was this whole time thinking I was the only young hooligan here lol, you’re even younger than me! Almost a year younger at that

I'd like to add another anemone shrimp, and a pom pom and maybe porcelain crab if I can find them.  Definitely no fish since the pot has just under a 1/3 of a gallon in it!

It's nice to see other "young hooligans" here, there are a few of us that I know of :) 

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I'd like to add another anemone shrimp, and a pom pom and maybe porcelain crab if I can find them.  Definitely no fish since the pot has just under a 1/3 of a gallon in it!

It's nice to see other "young hooligans" here, there are a few of us that I know of :) 

Is it 1/3 G with the stuff in it or even less than that with the displacement from the rocks and sand? I guess I forgot how small a coffee pot is :blink: 

I wouldn’t recommend a porcelain in this small of a tank either. I had one in an 8 gallon and it didn’t make it long, after like two weeks he crawled under the rocks and died and caused MAJOR cyano problems. If you dose filter feeder food you could pull it off though. They get considerably larger than anemone shrimp or poms so keep that in kind too

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
2 hours ago, JoeR said:

Is it 1/3 G with the stuff in it or even less than that with the displacement from the rocks and sand? I guess I forgot how small a coffee pot is :blink: 

I wouldn’t recommend a porcelain in this small of a tank either. I had one in an 8 gallon and it didn’t make it long, after like two weeks he crawled under the rocks and died and caused MAJOR cyano problems. If you dose filter feeder food you could pull it off though. They get considerably larger than anemone shrimp or poms so keep that in kind too

It's a 1/3 of a gallon with everything in it. 

I didn't think about a porcelain crab's eating habits. My one in the other tank is fanning away all day! Do you think mysis juice would be sufficient?  And decapsulated brine shrimp eggs? The pico has been getting both of those.  I suppose if it wasn't doing well I do have another tank that it could move in to.  

7 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

It's a 1/3 of a gallon with everything in it. 

I didn't think about a porcelain crab's eating habits. My one in the other tank is fanning away all day! Do you think mysis juice would be sufficient?  And decapsulated brine shrimp eggs? The pico has been getting both of those.  I suppose if it wasn't doing well I do have another tank that it could move in to.  

Honestly I have no idea, I dosed phyto and it didn’t suffice so that’s about the extent of my experience 

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

In my other tank, I have a hammer that has begun a rapid decline for no obvious reason.  I had planned to give it away, but I don't think there is time.  I fragged off the best couple heads, did an iodine dip, and put them in the pico.  It's just resting on the sand right now.  I'm hoping that it makes a comeback, but I'm not that hopeful.  I'll probably glue it up in the next day or two. 

Also, I recently received a bunch of zoas and sympodium from Fragbox.  I intend to take a polyp or two off the larger frags, and I might even put the odd entire frag into the pot!

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

I'm impressed by how many corals people are putting in their picos.  Mine (with just three small frags) looks bare, and I'm concerned that they are too close to each other. :lol:

Keep up the good work, your pico looks amazing.

• Like 2
fishfreak0114
12 hours ago, seabass said:

I'm impressed by how many corals people are putting in their picos.  Mine (with just three small frags) looks bare, and I'm concerned that they are too close to each other. :lol:

Keep up the good work, your pico looks amazing.

:lol: Thanks!  I think yours will look really nice and more natural than the chaotic mix in my pot as they grow in with just 3 types of coral.  Things are packed together pretty tight in mine, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before warfare begins!  Hopefully you can avoid that.

• Like 1

As an FYI I have some of those RapidLED bulbs. They're really nice and seem to be good enough to keep some sps going. from about 10" they have about ~250 PAR at the surface.  So I'd imagine that it's gonna be hella brite compared to your old knock off. So you may want to find some way to acclimate everything. Love the way this is turning out, looks really cool. 

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
5 hours ago, jahnje said:

As an FYI I have some of those RapidLED bulbs. They're really nice and seem to be good enough to keep some sps going. from about 10" they have about ~250 PAR at the surface.  So I'd imagine that it's gonna be hella brite compared to your old knock off. So you may want to find some way to acclimate everything. Love the way this is turning out, looks really cool. 

Thanks!  That bulb is a lot stronger than I was expecting!  I guess I'll tape over a good portion, and put lots of needlepoint mesh in between the pot and the light. Hopefully that will be enough. 

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

I just received the bulb and, uh, IT'S HUGE!  I didn't even think they made bulbs that big!  Needless to say, I don't have a hope in hell of fitting it into the coffee machine.  I'll be returning it and now I need to find a different par38.  I might have to order from the US.  Or I could buy, like, 5 of those cheap ones I started with.  At least with the CFL bulb on the pico I have some time to figure it out. 

I fed frozen rotifers and decapsulated brine shrimp eggs this morning, and did a water change this afternoon.  While the water was low, I added some zoas and rearranged a bit to fit the hammer.  I don't think I can fit anything else!  Time to watch it grow! :)

Also, Raymond molted!  He is out and about already.

15 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I just received the bulb and, uh, IT'S HUGE!  I didn't even think they made bulbs that big!  Needless to say, I don't have a hope in hell of fitting it into the coffee machine.  I'll be returning it and now I need to find a different par38.  I might have to order from the US.  Or I could buy, like, 5 of those cheap ones I started with.  At least with the CFL bulb on the pico I have some time to figure it out. 

I fed frozen rotifers and decapsulated brine shrimp eggs this morning, and did a water change this afternoon.  While the water was low, I added some zoas and rearranged a bit to fit the hammer.  I don't think I can fit anything else!  Time to watch it grow! :)

If I'm not mistaken, PAR 38 refers to the diameter of the bulb, so you may need to look for a smaller PAR bulb like a PAR 30 or something.

• Like 1

Wow this site has changed over the years... I remember gutting a coffee percolator and starting up a pico. Couldn’t get the heating or lighting situation down as this was about 12 years ago and technology wasn’t as great as it is today. Cfl was the latest and greatest (and most affordable) and a 50w heater was the smallest out there lol

Yours looks like it is doing awesome, keep up the good work! :)

Tim

• Like 2
fishfreak0114
46 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

If I'm not mistaken, PAR 38 refers to the diameter of the bulb, so you may need to look for a smaller PAR bulb like a PAR 30 or something.

Now that I look back at the first bulb I had, it was a par30.  I think I'll order a few of them since clearly they don't last long!  I think even if I have to replace it every now and then, it'll still probably cheaper than buying a fancier bulb.

24 minutes ago, supahtim said:

Wow this site has changed over the years... I remember gutting a coffee percolator and starting up a pico. Couldn’t get the heating or lighting situation down as this was about 12 years ago and technology wasn’t as great as it is today. Cfl was the latest and greatest (and most affordable) and a 50w heater was the smallest out there lol

Yours looks like it is doing awesome, keep up the good work! :)

Tim

Thanks!  That sounds like a cool little tank!  I hear you on lighting and heating though, every bulb is too strong and I am using a jumbo 50w heater because it is preset!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Now that I look back at the first bulb I had, it was a par30.  I think I'll order a few of them since clearly they don't last long!  I think even if I have to replace it every now and then, it'll still probably cheaper than buying a fancier bulb.

Thanks!  That sounds like a cool little tank!  I hear you on lighting and heating though, every bulb is too strong and I am using a jumbo 50w heater because it is preset!

My Coral Compulsion bulb is I believe a PAR 30 but those are pricey even without factoring in international shipping so probably not an option for you. :(

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

My Coral Compulsion bulb is I believe a PAR 30 but those are pricey even without factoring in international shipping so probably not an option for you. :(

I just looked at it, and yah, too pricey :( Oh well, I really didn't mind the eBay bulb when it still worked.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
10 hours ago, seabass said:

Those look like pretty much the same bulbs as what I just ordered!  Different seller though.  Had I known they were par16, I probably would have caught on to the fact that the rapid LED par38 would be bigger haha.  I'm going to have to remember the seller you posted, because it's cheaper!

On 1/3/2018 at 5:28 PM, fishfreak0114 said:

@Lula_Mae is right. Par is a measure of size. 30 is about as small as it gets. But haven't seen any coral ones. You might have to dyi it. There are some gu-10 that are small but again not in coral spectrums. That I've seen. 

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
15 minutes ago, jahnje said:

@Lula_Mae is right. Par is a measure of size. 30 is about as small as it gets. But haven't seen any coral ones. You might have to dyi it. There are some gu-10 that are small but again not in coral spectrums. That I've seen. 

The first bulb I had, and the ones I just ordered are like the one Seabass linked.  Par16 and coral friendly :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
fishfreak0114

I finally upgraded my iPhone 4s to a 7 today!  I’m having a lot of fun playing with my new toy, and I decided to test out the camera. Here’s a video!  Pictures to come!  It’s SOOOOO much better than the camera on the 4s!

• Like 6
  • Wow 1