Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fishfreak's C.C. Coffee Pot Pico: Soft reboot complete

fishfreak0114

I really dig that your FPS (final pot shot) :lol: has the ounce markers in it. Gives it a touch of surrealism for sure. Almost saying "hey, I look big, but I promise im only a few cups"

im glad that your keeping it going, and hope (if I'm not to bold) to see a year + update

• Like 2
fishfreak0114
4 hours ago, natalia_la_loca said:

This is looking super cool. So much life in there!

Thank you Natalia! :) 

3 hours ago, vlangel said:

Fishfreak, I am always amazed at how much life you pack in the coffee pot!  It is so cool and I love it.  Also you take amazing pics.  I have very much ennoyed sharing in the comraderie of this contest with you.  Thanks!

Thank you Dawn, I might even try to put in a little more coral in the future. I really enjoyed the camaraderie too!  This contest was so great getting to do a pico alongside everyone else!  I’m so sad that it’s ending. 

• Like 3
fishfreak0114
2 hours ago, JBM said:

I really dig that your FPS (final pot shot) :lol: has the ounce markers in it. Gives it a touch of surrealism for sure. Almost saying "hey, I look big, but I promise im only a few cups"

im glad that your keeping it going, and hope (if I'm not to bold) to see a year + update

:lol: I didn’t even notice that!  It is kind of funny.  I certainly hope to keep this pico running as long as possible.  As long as there are no crashes, at least until I graduate next year. I’m not sure what’s going to become of all my tanks then, but the pico is certainly the most portable!

fishfreak0114

Below is my final summary, 250 words exactly! :lol:  And the three photos that I feel best depict my tank.

My little coffee pot pico was started without high hopes.  It was an experiment that I wished to learn from, but I didn’t expect it to last.  It ended up being a far more successful venture than I could ever have predicted and a great way to participate in the nano-reef community!  On October 20th, the pot got wet, and that day I learned my first lesson!  The curved glass really distorts and magnifies!  By the end of the day I added some pods, asterina stars, and macroalgae.  Within days I began adding coral, starting with GSP and some mushrooms.  Unfortunately, the mushrooms didn’t make it and polluted the tank.  My second and third lesson; even small PAR bulbs are really strong and can kill quickly, and water quality goes downhill really fast in such a small volume!  Thankfully, water changes are easy and I was able to get things back on track.  I continued adding corals throughout the contest, most of which have done very well!  Without much in the way of larger inverts, I’ve learned to appreciate all of the little guys—the pods (which are flourishing), brittle stars, asterinas, and a peanut worm—as well as the simplistic husbandry and equipment required to maintain a pico.  Every bit of growth is noticeable in such a tiny space, and most notably, the pipe organ is expanding!  I hope to watch all of the corals grow and prosper in the coffee pot pico for a long time to come...

39317746290_428dca35c6_z.jpgo by orb1915, on Flickr

41126526951_848675d279_k.jpgPico by orb1915, on Flickr

40019685795_c811c24d48_k.jpgSunlight by orb1915, on Flickr

• Like 11
fishfreak0114
33 minutes ago, Droy008 said:

Wow this little jar looks fantastic!

24 minutes ago, gena said:

Awesome :wub: 

13 minutes ago, seabass said:

Well done!  I love it.

Thank you all!  I’m really amazed at all the beautiful little picos this contest has turned out :) 

• Like 2
fishfreak0114
45 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Great job! I love how well you went with the whole coffee pot theme. All the corals look great! 

Thanks teeny!  I’m so glad I chose to do a coffe pot, because the coffee maker is good for hiding a bulb and it makes a nice planter!  

• Like 3
fishfreak0114
5 minutes ago, Merthynia said:

I've loved watching this little pot grow during the contest! So much packed into such a tiny space!

I’m glad you liked following along!  Thanks!

• Like 1

Congrats! Btw, I'm pretty sure we got our par16 lights from the same source, and they are crappy! I bought two, and they both stopped working after a couple of months! And it's not a heat issue, because mine were hanging from an open fixture. Anyway, the nano box will be awesome!

• Thanks 1
fishfreak0114
2 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Congratulations, winner of "most creative"! It's well deserved. 

Thank you teeny!  Congrats on your two wins as well!   I enjoyed following along with your journey :) 

1 hour ago, Orangutran said:

Congrats! Btw, I'm pretty sure we got our par16 lights from the same source, and they are crappy! I bought two, and they both stopped working after a couple of months! And it's not a heat issue, because mine were hanging from an open fixture. Anyway, the nano box will be awesome!

Thanks!  That’s good to know!  I guess it’s good that I bought more than one this time. I can’t wait to get the nano box!!

• Like 3
fishfreak0114
4 hours ago, vlangel said:

Hey there, congrats and great job.  I am so happy for you.

4 hours ago, Draco said:

This is amazing! Congrats!

Thank you guys!!

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Sorry for the lack of updates!!  Life and school has kept me busy lately.  I’m still waiting for the new par bulb to arrive. I expect it will be here shortly. The corals have gotten a little dull in color with the weak compact fluorescent. The pipe organ continues to grow though!!  It’s really incredible to watch it spread.  Also, the Japanese leather I added attached to the rock!  It kind of hangs in front of other things which is annoying but it’s so pretty it doesn’t bother me too much :)  I took a really quick, sloppy fts on the way out the door this morning. I’ll try to post some better pictures soon!! 

Quick fts

• Like 7
  • 2 months later...
fishfreak0114

I fell off the face of the earth!  OMG the last time I updated was April.  Sorry!  The coffee pot is alive and well, things have just been busy for me lately.  I'm sort of taking a wait and see approach as far as coral.  I'm curious to see what will rule the tank.  The pipe organ and Japanese leather are both growing very well, so my money is on them.  I haven't done a water change in forever, but things still look good!  I finally cleaned the glass so I could take a couple quick pics.  I switched out the plants for cacti, which is what I originally wanted.  I found some at a greenhouse when we were plant shopping 🙂 Yet again, the cheap LED bulbs burnt out.   I have the compact fluorescent over it again until I figure out what to do.  Things don't mind the CFL.

43055620081_e1375ef260_k.jpgIMG_1888 by orb1915, on Flickr

43055619921_8c6e5ee5d9_k.jpgIMG_1889 by orb1915, on Flickr

42153751315_84f346a679_k.jpgIMG_1890 by orb1915, on Flickr

42153751055_a1afd7626b_k.jpgIMG_1891 by orb1915, on Flickr

• Like 5
  • Haha 1