inTank Media Baskets

Fishfreak's C.C. Coffee Pot Pico: Soft reboot complete

fishfreak0114

18 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Thank you!  Your pico is looking great as well!

I made and interesting new addition to the pico about an hour ago!  I rescaped my other tank this afternoon, and removed a decent sized chunk of rock.  While scouring it for critters to return to my tank, I came across a wriggly blob.  It was ugly as hell.  A peanut worm!  A BIG peanut worm!  It took me forty five painful minutes to get him off the rock.  There was a small little tunnel that he was poking through.  I tried basting and poking his butt end to make him go out the other side.   I dripped freshwater on one end.  NOTHING COULD MAKE THAT FAT BASTARD MOVE!  He was to cool to just let die, so eventually I very carefully broke open the tunnel with bone cutters so I could pull him off.  He wriggled away in the pico.  Hopefully he likes his new home!  I got a pic of him, but I'm exhausted so it won't be going up tonight. 

That is awesome and I like the story of his/capture or rescue!  Can we PLEASE name him Fat Bastard???

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
2 minutes ago, dmw913 said:

That is awesome and I like the story of his/capture or rescue!  Can we PLEASE name him Fat Bastard???

Fat Bastard :lol: I hope to see him again!  That's why I put him in the pico.  I wonder what Fat Bastard eats?

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

So, we have a bit of a dilemma.  You know that $5 eBay bulb I've been using, the one that I think looks really good?  Well it doesn't look so good now because it stopped working!  I noticed last night around 11pm that there was no light on the coffee pot :unsure: I guess I'll be looking for a bulb on Boxing Day!  Not happy, this is an unplanned expense.  In the meantime, I guess I'll stop by Walmart or Canadian Tire and grab a household par38.  At least it's something right?

MainelyReefer
21 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

So, we have a bit of a dilemma.  You know that $5 eBay bulb I've been using, the one that I think looks really good?  Well it doesn't look so good now because it stopped working!  I noticed last night around 11pm that there was no light on the coffee pot :unsure: I guess I'll be looking for a bulb on Boxing Day!  Not happy, this is an unplanned expense.  In the meantime, I guess I'll stop by Walmart or Canadian Tire and grab a household par38.  At least it's something right?

Bummer to hear about the light, Petco and petsmart have a 10$ 10w CFL in 50/50.  Not the most appealing light but it's a spectrum that works and is immediately available.  Is there a Canadian equivalent? Walmart might even have one

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
1 hour ago, GraniteReefer said:

Bummer to hear about the light, Petco and petsmart have a 10$ 10w CFL in 50/50.  Not the most appealing light but it's a spectrum that works and is immediately available.  Is there a Canadian equivalent? Walmart might even have one

Thanks for the suggestion :) we have PetSmart in Canada, but I live in a tiny town that has literally nothing!  I'll likely be going into Kamloops this week though, and I could stop at Petsmart then.  Hopefully I can find a bulb that doesn't break the bank!

fishfreak0114

I just checked out all of the places I usually order from for supplies, and I have two options as far as a permanent fix for the light goes.  An ABI bulb off amazon for $70 plus $15 shipping, or a $90 rapid led par38 from reefsupplies.ca.  I'm leaning towards the rapid LED bulb, because reefsupplies is having a Boxing Day sale so  may be able to get a better deal.

On 12/24/2017 at 10:54 AM, fishfreak0114 said:

In the meantime, I guess I'll stop by Walmart or Canadian Tire and grab a household par38.  At least it's something right?

A typical lightbulb with a daylight spectrum should suffice until you get a replacement bulb with a proper spectrum.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
3 hours ago, seabass said:

A typical light bulb with a daylight spectrum should suffice until you get a replacement bulb with a proper spectrum.

I'm hoping to get a bulb pretty quick. I guess shipping might be slower with Boxing Day though. It also gets sunlight for quite a few hours. Yesterday, things were pretty much fully open with just sunlight :) 

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Merry Christmas everybody!!! ?

Here's a pic of Fat Bastard!

24423843937_e8fc1d0d91_k.jpgh by orb1915, on Flickr

Wriggling in the GSP

39257651262_aeca4b532b_k.jpgf by orb1915, on Flickr

I glued in these pieces of a plastic spoon two days ago because I noticed that the light wasn't pointing quite where I wanted it to be.

39257651112_a0d44d2930_k.jpgy by orb1915, on Flickr

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

I have some sad news.  I looked in the pot to see Raymond eating the anemone shrimp :tears:  I had been wondering for the past few days if he was nearing his end, because he seemed to be getting less transparent.  I think he was just at the end of his natural life, seeing as how he was big when I bought him, and he was in my other tank for quite a while.  RIP little guy

• Sad 6
fishfreak0114

I ordered a Rapid LED par38 bulb today.  I know it is WAY overkill for this thing, and I'll probably need to tape over a lot of it, but it was pretty much the only bulb I could find on any of my usual websites.  Sadly it wasn't on sale for Boxing Day, and it set me back $100!  Now that I plan to keep the pot up though, it seems a worthwhile investment.  I'll also be purchasing an inkbird soon (no sales either <_<).  I assume that my December FTS will be shown with a flashlight illuminating the scene.  The par bulb should ship here pretty fast so I've decided not to put a different bulb on it in the meantime, but I'm not sure if I'll get it before the FTS is due. 

fishfreak0114

The light shipped today, so hopefully I'll get it quick.  I don't think it is coming from too far away.

I saw Fat Bastard a minute ago!  I honestly didn't think I'd even see him again, but there he was!  Turns out he doesn't like light because I aimed a flashlight at him to get a better look and he was gone in a flash!

edit: I just checked tracking and the bulb isn't supposed to arrive until January 5th!  Looks like I'll have to find something to go on the pot for now.

On 12/25/2017 at 4:39 AM, seabass said:

A typical lightbulb with a daylight spectrum should suffice until you get a replacement bulb with a proper spectrum.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

I happened to be at PetSmart today and picked up a cheap 10w fluorescent bulb.  It hasn't been on the pot for long but things seem to be responding nicely.  It looks really good actually.  If the coral appear to be getting enough light from it, I may return the par bulb I just ordered and just accept the shipping loss.  It doesn't fit nicely in the top of the pot, but it gives a soft, even illumination throughout the whole thing.  The color is really nice also.

• Like 4

I know you're in Canada so what we can get here isn't always available to you, but I just got the ABI Tuna Blue PAR 38 on Amazon for $25. It's very blue, but I like it a lot.

• Like 3
fishfreak0114
12 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I know you're in Canada so what we can get here isn't always available to you, but I just got the ABI Tuna Blue PAR 38 on Amazon for $25. It's very blue, but I like it a lot.

I looked at that bulb actually since so many people seem to like it, and after shipping it costs $90! :bling:  I figured for that price I might as well just go with Rapid LED <_<

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I looked at that bulb actually since so many people seem to like it, and after shipping it costs $90! :bling:  I figured for that price I might as well just go with Rapid LED <_<

Ouch! It's crazy how much more some things cost in Canada.

• Like 1
On 12/29/2017 at 12:04 PM, fishfreak0114 said:

Yeah I wouldn't pay $90 for the ABI bulb lol. Maybe keep the rapid one on hand? I found those CFL bulbs sometimes very short lived.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

Yeah I wouldn't pay $90 for the ABI bulb lol. Maybe keep the rapid one on hand? I found those CFL bulbs sometimes very short lived.

I've been monitoring things closely under the new bulb, and I think I will swap out for the par bulb when it arrives.  While the CFL lights the whole pot, it is REALLY hot. And the corals colors don't pop. I notice it most for things like the Rasta, which just looks...meh.  

I took some pics this afternoon, including the December FTS!

• Like 1
On 12/25/2017 at 10:06 AM, fishfreak0114 said:

Merry Christmas everybody!!! ?

Here's a pic of Fat Bastard!

24423843937_e8fc1d0d91_k.jpgh by orb1915, on Flickr

Wriggling in the GSP

39257651262_aeca4b532b_k.jpgf by orb1915, on Flickr

I glued in these pieces of a plastic spoon two days ago because I noticed that the light wasn't pointing quite where I wanted it to be.

39257651112_a0d44d2930_k.jpgy by orb1915, on Flickr

What. Is. That. Thing.

wow the bulb cost $90 there?? Why? Just shipping or what? That’s crazy either way, very unfortunate as it sounds like that bulb is the only cost effective one on the market these days. Anything comparable is significantly more expensive.

• Haha 1
fishfreak0114
24 minutes ago, JoeR said:

What. Is. That. Thing.

wow the bulb cost $90 there?? Why? Just shipping or what? That’s crazy either way, very unfortunate as it sounds like that bulb is the only cost effective one on the market these days. Anything comparable is significantly more expensive.

A peanut worm!  He's a neat little dude.

The bulb itself was about $70, and $15 for shipping.  And then add tax!  I am glad at least that I'll have a good quality bulb with the Rapid LED.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Here is December's FPS!  please excuse the reflection in the glass,  My mom held a blanket up to block the big reflection on the left side, but I didn't notice the window on the right side until after.

38521373385_bb0e5444b1_k.jpgPC300748 by orb1915, on Flickr

Yesterday I finally remembered to wipe all of the salt off of the metal band on the pot really well and paint over it with clear nail polish.  I got tired of it rusting!

Photo dump!!!

38521379905_940cb0fdcd_k.jpgPC300771 by orb1915, on Flickr

39399540551_9e429a673a_k.jpgPC300774 by orb1915, on Flickr

The blue hornets are looking pretty drab

39399541511_b189088e3e_k.jpgPC300776 by orb1915, on Flickr

The Yoda paly is growing quickly.  Actually, it seems that quite a few of the zoas are growing well, In can see where their mats are spreading.

25529347898_e9b69e8546_k.jpgPC300777 by orb1915, on Flickr

39399541301_abeaed500e_k.jpgPC300778 by orb1915, on Flickr

25529347508_38aaed5d78_k.jpgPC300779 by orb1915, on Flickr

39399541031_a0f90542be_k.jpgPC300780 by orb1915, on Flickr

25529347268_6f76a18f9e_k.jpgPC300783 by orb1915, on Flickr

Unfortunately the cloves are growing towards the back!

39399540741_315cc5c69a_k.jpgPC300785 by orb1915, on Flickr

25529347098_de2c48a1fe_k.jpgPC300786 by orb1915, on Flickr

38521376585_0020c37edc_k.jpgPC300787 by orb1915, on Flickr

• Like 5
54 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

A peanut worm!  He's a neat little dude.

The bulb itself was about $70, and $15 for shipping.  And then add tax!  I am glad at least that I'll have a good quality bulb with the Rapid LED.

Eww! You bought that or found it? Something different for sure I suppose. I’d think a less grotesque option would be a nudibracht lol

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
Just now, JoeR said:

Eww! You bought that or found it? Something different for sure I suppose. I’d think a less grotesque option would be a nudibracht lol

I found him when I rescaped my other tank.  He was on the rock I was removing, so I spent 45 minutes getting him away from the rock and then I chucked him in here!  I find him cute in some strange way. 

2 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I found him when I rescaped my other tank.  He was on the rock I was removing, so I spent 45 minutes getting him away from the rock and then I chucked him in here!  I find him cute in some strange way. 

That’s a pretty cool find I’d say. Plan on any other inhabitants? Maybe an Eviota goby? I’ve been thinking about a yellow clown for my three gal, probably can’t stuff even an eviota in my globe pico

Just saw your profile and here I was this whole time thinking I was the only young hooligan here lol, you’re even younger than me! Almost a year younger at that

• Like 1