Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fishfreak's C.C. Coffee Pot Pico: Soft reboot complete

fishfreak0114

fishfreak0114
1 hour ago, seabass said:

My initial thought was to remove the heating element in your coffee maker and replace it with something like this: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=6545 (connected to a controller of course).

That way, it would look unmodified.  IDK, just a thought.

I appreciate the brainstorming :)The only problem is that I would need a really small one to fit under there.  I don't think the one you linked would fit, and I'm not sure a small one would give off enough heat.  My house gets to upper 60's at night. But now that I've started thinking about the heater, I can't stop worrying about it getting stuck on and frying the pot!

I looked at a number of coffee makers this afternoon and I can't find one without auto shutoff. I also can't find a way to bypass the auto shutoff feature.

I'm considering buying an inkbird and a betta heater.  Certainly not as cool as using the coffee maker's heating element, but at least I could rest easy knowing that the heater was controlled.  And I think a tiny betta heater would be a lot less noticeable.  Whatever happens, it likely won't be until Boxing Day.  Gotta take advantage of those sales!  The reason I didn't originally set up the pot with something decent was because I had planned to keep it up for only 6 months. I'm pretty sure that's the only reason my mom approved yet another tank. But it's grown on me...as long as it keeps doing well, I'm keeping it up!

• Like 4

I can't remember whose thread it was in, but somebody recently talked about trying to use a reptile heating pad underneath to heat a jar, and it didn't work. Something about the pad getting too hot, then shutting off, and never actually heating the water enough. If I can find it I'll post a link.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
flatlandreefer
3 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I appreciate the brainstorming :)The only problem is that I would need a really small one to fit under there.  I don't think the one you linked would fit, and I'm not sure a small one would give off enough heat.  My house gets to upper 60's at night. But now that I've started thinking about the heater, I can't stop worrying about it getting stuck on and frying the pot!

I looked at a number of coffee makers this afternoon and I can't find one without auto shutoff. I also can't find a way to bypass the auto shutoff feature.

I'm considering buying an inkbird and a betta heater.  Certainly not as cool as using the coffee maker's heating element, but at least I could rest easy knowing that the heater was controlled.  And I think a tiny betta heater would be a lot less noticeable.  Whatever happens, it likely won't be until Boxing Day.  Gotta take advantage of those sales!  The reason I didn't originally set up the pot with something decent was because I had planned to keep it up for only 6 months. I'm pretty sure that's the only reason my mom approved yet another tank. But it's grown on me...as long as it keeps doing well, I'm keeping it up!

My house is mid 60's at night any my betta heater couldn't keep the temp up so I had to upgrade my heater. My tank volume is right around 2 gallons, yours is probably around a gallon so I would think the beta would most likely work in your case. 

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
1 hour ago, teenyreef said:

I can't remember whose thread it was in, but somebody recently talked about trying to use a reptile heating pad underneath to heat a jar, and it didn't work. Something about the pad getting too hot, then shutting off, and never actually heating the water enough. If I can find it I'll post a link.

Well that's a definite no-go, thanks for telling me that :)

1 hour ago, flatlandreefer said:

My house is mid 60's at night any my betta heater couldn't keep the temp up so I had to upgrade my heater. My tank volume is right around 2 gallons, yours is probably around a gallon so I would think the beta would most likely work in your case. 

I'm pretty sure there's only about a 1/3 of a gallon of actual water in the pot so I think a betta heater could keep up.  It's worth a shot anyways.  What heater were you using?

15 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Well that's a definite no-go, thanks for telling me that :)

I'm pretty sure there's only about a 1/3 of a gallon of actual water in the pot so I think a betta heater could keep up.  It's worth a shot anyways.  What heater were you using?

Well, you probably shouldn't believe my second-hand vaguely remembered information :lol:

I couldn't find the thread, but I found a few people referencing another thread somewhere else where somebody else said they got it to work. So who knows for sure...

• Haha 1
fishfreak0114
44 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Well, you probably shouldn't believe my second-hand vaguely remembered information :lol:

I couldn't find the thread, but I found a few people referencing another thread somewhere else where somebody else said they got it to work. So who knows for sure...

:lol: Still,I think a betta heater is plan A.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

I fed rotifers Friday night, and last night I gave the shrimp (name TBD) a piece of mysis.  He seems pretty happy, still chillin' on the toadstool.  He used to do that sometimes in the other tank.

I keep telling myself to stop sticking stuff in here, but somehow I can't help it!  It's too easy to add things when I have a coral supply 5 feet away!  I added a couple zoas that were drifting around my other tank, glued up some radioactives that came loose in the pot, as well as added two little plate corals.  The plates are an experiment to see if they do any better in here.  My tank had quite a few problems over the summer, and it killed pretty much every plate.  The few survivors have been in slow decline since :( 

I also put in a teeny ball nem.  I hope he heals and survives.  It was on my zoa island, but on a spot that is usually under the sand.  I wanted to put my rock back to normal, so I tried to chip off the piece of rock with the nem.  I ended up hitting it :( After a painfully long amount of time, I was able to separate it from the rock with a scalpel.  I can still tell what it is, so all hope is not lost! :) They're pretty resilient I think, I'm pretty sure I've accidentally injured it before while fragging zoas. 

I did a water change today.  The grape caulerpa needed a good prune, it sure grows fast!  Next time I'll move the trimmings to my other tank, since the emerald crab ate it all <_<  I hope to put up some pics within the next few days. 

• Like 3
fishfreak0114

Also, just a few minutes ago I picked my computer up off the floor to find it wet!!!  There was a big puddle, and my computer and power bar for the pico were sitting in it!  My first thought was that the coffee pot was leaking.  Don't judge me, but I tasted the floor puddle.  It was kind of salty.  After a thorough examination of the pot, I declared it water tight.  I thought maybe water was going down the heater cord, but it was dry.  Same with the airline.  My best guess is that I spilt during this morning's water change!  Thank god the powerbar wasn't wet all over, just the bottom.  I got lucky.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 2
4 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Also, just a few minutes ago I picked my computer up off the floor to find it wet!!!  There was a big puddle, and my computer and power bar for the pico were sitting in it!  My first thought was that the coffee pot was leaking.  Don't judge me, but I tasted the floor puddle.  It was kind of salty.  After a thorough examination of the pot, I declared it water tight.  I thought maybe water was going down the heater cord, but it was dry.  Same with the airline.  My best guess is that I spilt during this morning's water change!  Thank god the powerbar wasn't wet all over, just the bottom.  I got lucky.....

Whew, glad that was ok.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

The ball nem disappeared overnight :( I suspect Raymond knocked it off. Hopefully it lands somewhere where it can live a happy life. 

Well, at least you know it's in there somewhere, and there's not a whole lot of places it can get lost :)

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
2 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Well, at least you know it's in there somewhere, and there's not a whole lot of places it can get lost :)

So true!  I may never actually see it again, but perhaps it will attach to the back of the rocks.  Lots of free real estate there!

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

Time to post some photos!

25231381098_76821a13a1_k.jpgPC100669 by orb1915, on Flickr

38387587814_a7eb88de75_k.jpgPC090644 by orb1915, on Flickr

38387583424_c077c903d5_k.jpgPC090652 by orb1915, on Flickr

25231384538_fe3874ddc1_k.jpgPC090661 by orb1915, on Flickr

27320334949_1443a7a5a6_k.jpgPC100675 by orb1915, on Flickr

25231375798_a97ebb6a1a_k.jpgPC100680 by orb1915, on Flickr

This yoda is growing a second polyp!

25231372048_4585132161_k.jpgPC100685 by orb1915, on Flickr

The cloves seem to be growing as well :)

25231366818_59d7dce446_k.jpgPC100687 by orb1915, on Flickr

25231363218_827aaf8190_k.jpgPC100688 by orb1915, on Flickr

• Like 10
  • Wow 2
fishfreak0114
3 hours ago, vlangel said:

That toadstool is to die for, I love it!  I really like the way your coffee pot is shaping up.

Thank you!  The toadstool is one of my favorite things in the pot.  I find it funny how it has bent itself to be directly in the middle under the light!  It must REALLY like light, because I've removed both pieces of needlepoint mesh so it has got to be pretty strong under there!

• Like 1
On 12/8/2017 at 7:28 PM, fishfreak0114 said:

For your little tank, I think a teeny betta heater + inkbird is probably your best bet.  Even the heater I use would be ginormous in there!  Tank is :wub:

On 12/8/2017 at 10:30 PM, teenyreef said:

I wonder if it's because (I think) they need air circulation to prevent overheating?

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
7 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

For your little tank, I think a teeny betta heater + inkbird is probably your best bet.  Even the heater I use would be ginormous in there!  Tank is :wub:

I wonder if it's because (I think) they need air circulation to prevent overheating?

I agree!  I'll buy an inkbird on Boxing Day, and probably get a betta heater at another time depending on how much I spend!  And thanks Lula! :) 

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

I haven't done a water change in here for over a week, and despite a couple feedings, things are looking great!  I can already tell that the grape caulerpa will be a PITA.  It's growing so fast, and up onto the rocks where it takes some effort to pluck off.   Oh well.  I plan to do a water change this weekend, probably after I do one on my other tank.

fishfreak0114
2 hours ago, dmw913 said:

I think this is just looking fantastic!  I like how stuffed it is and you take great pics!  Keep up the good work!

Thank you!  Your pico is looking great as well!

I made and interesting new addition to the pico about an hour ago!  I rescaped my other tank this afternoon, and removed a decent sized chunk of rock.  While scouring it for critters to return to my tank, I came across a wriggly blob.  It was ugly as hell.  A peanut worm!  A BIG peanut worm!  It took me forty five painful minutes to get him off the rock.  There was a small little tunnel that he was poking through.  I tried basting and poking his butt end to make him go out the other side.   I dripped freshwater on one end.  NOTHING COULD MAKE THAT FAT BASTARD MOVE!  He was to cool to just let die, so eventually I very carefully broke open the tunnel with bone cutters so I could pull him off.  He wriggled away in the pico.  Hopefully he likes his new home!  I got a pic of him, but I'm exhausted so it won't be going up tonight. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Thank you!  Your pico is looking great as well!

I made and interesting new addition to the pico about an hour ago!  I rescaped my other tank this afternoon, and removed a decent sized chunk of rock.  While scouring it for critters to return to my tank, I came across a wriggly blob.  It was ugly as hell.  A peanut worm!  A BIG peanut worm!  It took me forty five painful minutes to get him off the rock.  There was a small little tunnel that he was poking through.  I tried basting and poking his butt end to make him go out the other side.   I dripped freshwater on one end.  NOTHING COULD MAKE THAT FAT BASTARD MOVE!  He was to cool to just let die, so eventually I very carefully broke open the tunnel with bone cutters so I could pull him off.  He wriggled away in the pico.  Hopefully he likes his new home!  I got a pic of him, but I'm exhausted so it won't be going up tonight. 

Nice! Cant wait to see it!

• Like 1