Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fishfreak's C.C. Coffee Pot Pico: Soft reboot complete

fishfreak0114

fishfreak0114
2 hours ago, vlangel said:

I know what you mean about not being ready for uglies.  I keep expecting the worst to show up any day now!

I'll have my peroxide ready for them when they come!  I thought I'd see some nasties show up quicker than this.  But I guess like teeny said with all these 100% water changes its hard to say when they'll show up. 

8 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Love it. Super cute reef

Thanks!:)

• Like 1

I've been getting the hair algae, but I've been draining out the water to drip peroxide on it. In a jar it's easy to get ahead of it and stay ahead!

...I hope :scarry:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just think this pico looks amazing!  I love the GSP up front with the macro and the rest building toward the rear all in a little, tiny pot.  Very well designed and creative.  It's looking bomber!

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
5 minutes ago, dmw913 said:

I just think this pico looks amazing!  I love the GSP up front with the macro and the rest building toward the rear all in a little, tiny pot.  Very well designed and creative.  It's looking bomber!

Thanks! :) 

On 12/3/2017 at 1:10 PM, fishfreak0114 said:

Thanks Weetie!  Haven't seen you around a whole lot lately, how are things?  This little pico has been a pretty fun adventure so far!  I can't wait to see what happens over the coming months.

I'm working in Retail now and since this is the busiest shopping season of the year, my work schedule has been pretty full, hasn't left me much downtime. 

I'm still around though!!

If I had entered this contest, a Coffeepot Pico is one of the things I had considered doing, and I know you'll do a much better job of it than I would have with my schedule, so thanks for giving me an opportunity to watch it!! 

• Like 2
fishfreak0114
2 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

I'm working in Retail now and since this is the busiest shopping season of the year, my work schedule has been pretty full, hasn't left me much downtime. 

I'm still around though!!

If I had entered this contest, a Coffeepot Pico is one of the things I had considered doing, and I know you'll do a much better job of it than I would have with my schedule, so thanks for giving me an opportunity to watch it!! 

I can only imagine how hectic retail must be this time of year!  I'm glad to have you following along! :) 

Last night I put a white spot anemone shrimp in here. He wasn't very happy to leave the RFA in my other tank, but I thought it was time that Jacob, my porcelain crab, got to return to the nem that he had first dibs on.  The shrimp kicked him off a while back, and he has since lived on the bottom of the tank sadly fanning away.   He seems happy to have his nem back :) 

The shrimp seems to have made the move fine, he's been chilling on the toadstool.  It's pretty nice having something active in the pot. Up close, I can really appreciate the beautiful clear body of him and the little markings. 

I didn't even have to acclimate him since I did a 100% water change using water from my other tank. 

Pics later today I hope!!

• Like 3
48 minutes ago, tanacharison said:

Everything looks good!  I thought about adding a shrimp in mine... I wish I could catch one of my peppermints.  

I had 2 peppermints in my jar and they immediately began robbing the acans and blastos of the mysis I was feeding them.  Maybe they won't be able to get up onto your coral but are resourceful little buggers!  Needless to say, mine were banished to the seahorse tank where I was hoping they were not going to be an expensive shrimp dinner.  I still see them under the rockwork so that arrangement has worked out.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
55 minutes ago, tanacharison said:

Everything looks good!  I thought about adding a shrimp in mine... I wish I could catch one of my peppermints.  

Thanks!  At least if you had a peppermint shrimp go coral munching in a jar it would be easier to catch!

• Like 1

I had the same thought about catching one of the peppermints...and then I had the same thought about the mayhem they'd create living in close proximity to all the corals :lol:

• Like 4
fishfreak0114

My lid was very poorly constructed. I just adhered the two pieces together with a little coral glue. It was quite brittle. As I knew would eventually happen, it fell apart when I took it off the tank. In order to prevent it from happening again, I siliconed it together yesterday morning :) 

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
1 hour ago, Polarcollision said:

omg! this is adorable. and brilliant. please tell me the tank is heated by the base element???

Thanks :) I wish I could say the heating was as cool as that, but I cut the cord off first thing.  It has a rather chunky 50w tetra preset heater. 

MainelyReefer
5 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Thanks :) I wish I could say the heating was as cool as that, but I cut the cord off first thing.  It has a rather chunky 50w tetra preset heater. 

You should just find another coffee maker and rig up the heating to use the base element, you would win one of the prizes I bet as everyone mentions it.  Your tank is one of my favorite so far!

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
5 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

You should just find another coffee maker and rig up the heating to use the base element, you would win one of the prizes I bet as everyone mentions it.  Your tank is one of my favorite so far!

I'll give it some thought. I'm very, well, bad at anything DIY or electrical.  It would take a lot of effort and probably frustration to get it going.  At the same time, I'm not sure how I feel about having this heater in here long term. I'm not sure how it'll hold up in saltwater :unsure: And thanks!  There's some pretty amazing picos in this contest, so I'm pretty honoured that you said mine is one of your favorites :) 

fishfreak0114

I'm not a coffee drinker, and I don't really understand how the machines work.  Does one switch turn the whole thing on?   Because then wouldn't it start trying to make coffee and heat the base?  Or are there separate controls for those things?  I was just thinking about how that whole element heating thing would work.  If the machine was on so that the element was on but it was plugged into an inkbird to turn it off at the right time it wouldn't cook the reef?  Or is there a better/easier way to do that?  Sorry for all the questions, the equipment side of reefing is my weak spot...

fishfreak0114
7 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

One switch for all the coffee makers I have owned. A controller would be a must in my opinion.

I would definitely use a controller!  Would I have to somehow remove the part of the machine that wants to make coffee?  Or would leaving it on do nothing?

It might even have a timed shutoff.  If you took it apart, you could probably figure out where the heating element gets it's power.  If not, you could probably just replace the heating element with this 4W pad. :unsure:

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
1 hour ago, debbeach13 said:

I am not sure but I think would cut those wires if I could. 

I will keep reading. Perhaps if I buy another coffee maker I could pull the current one apart to see what it's like inside. 

1 hour ago, seabass said:

It might even have a timed shutoff.  If you took it apart, you could probably figure out where the heating element gets it's power.  If not, you could probably just replace the heating element with this 4W pad. :unsure:

An automatic shut off for which part?  The coffee making part?  A 4w pad would be a good back up. Before I can do anything though, I need to run it past my mom.  I doubt she'd be thrilled since she keeps telling me to stop spending every pay check on fish!

35 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

An automatic shut off for which part?

For the heater part, so it doesn't stay on all day long.  Sometimes it's as short a 30 minutes.  It's something that you might have to deal with if you try to use it.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
52 minutes ago, seabass said:

For the heater part, so it doesn't stay on all day long.  Sometimes it's as short a 30 minutes.  It's something that you might have to deal with if you try to use it.

Ah thanks, I didn't realize they did that. I'm wondering if it would be better to put a heat pad under the pot. I need to read more about the auto shut off thing.