Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fishfreak's C.C. Coffee Pot Pico: Soft reboot complete

fishfreak0114

fishfreak0114
Just now, seabass said:

The one I linked was a 50/50 bulb (half actinic and half white).  I believe the one you linked is just white.

Ah, you are correct.  I saw a 50/50 bulb as well though.  I actually just received the par bulb, and I think it'll work.  The color is better than I was expecting.  Pics soon!

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

It's wet!  I used reef welder to make a bit of a scape (which I partially broke :unsure:) and then added a little sand and water from my other tank. 

37769569176_9f0a5b21db_k.jpgPA191320 by orb1915, on Flickr

23965471888_8240475213_k.jpgPA191324 by orb1915, on Flickr

Note the fabulous lid!  I'll find something better eventually.  I also need to remove the suction cup from the heater, get clear airline tubing, and drill a hole in the machine for the cords.  Although I'm not finding it too bad just having them hang out the side.

23965471498_916599c02d_k.jpgPA191325 by orb1915, on Flickr

• Like 6

Awesome scape! I like the reaching effect of the rocks.

Definitely did not realize how much magnification the water adds!

Might have to re-think the size of my rocks lol

What if you could re-purpose the entire unit to heat AND add RO/DI water for evaporation....I believe you can figure it out :huh:

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
1 minute ago, SaltyBuddha said:

Awesome scape! I like the reaching effect of the rocks.

Definitely did not realize how much magnification the water adds!

Might have to re-think the size of my rocks lol

What if you could re-purpose the entire unit to heat AND add RO/DI water for evaporation....I believe you can figure it out :huh:

Thanks!  I was pretty shocked to see how different it looked with water.  The rocks look huge!

It's definitely too late for the heating part, seeing as how I chopped off the machine's cord first thing haha.  I'm waiting to see what evaporation is like, but I was thinking I could potentially try to hide a hamster bottle ATO in the back, it's pretty spacious!

8 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Thanks!  I was pretty shocked to see how different it looked with water.  The rocks look huge!

It's definitely too late for the heating part, seeing as how I chopped off the machine's cord first thing haha.  I'm waiting to see what evaporation is like, but I was thinking I could potentially try to hide a hamster bottle ATO in the back, it's pretty spacious!

Do it! It would be awesome to see some aspects of the coffee machine still in use. Who knows, you could make it a side business!

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
5 minutes ago, SaltyBuddha said:

Do it! It would be awesome to see some aspects of the coffee machine still in use. Who knows, you could make it a side business!

Well that wouldn't really be using the coffee machine, more so just hiding an ATO behind it.  We'll see!  Really, I'm hoping that evaporation is minimal enough to not need an ATO at all.  I'm hoping for this to be as simple as possible.

• Like 3
fishfreak0114

I see life!  A little pod is crawling around.  This hobby has taught me a little with patience, but not enough to keep me from chucking some stuff in today!   I'll probably add some micro fauna, coralline shavings, and maybe macro this afternoon.  Once I get the light socket I'll probably put in some GSP to be my test subject as I figure out the brightness. 

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

The bulb was actually a bit larger than I was expecting.  Still small though

37108206984_0847c2a8ef_k.jpgPA201330 by orb1915, on Flickr

It's temporarily in this fixture.  And holy heck it's bright!

23965470938_da8e7201fb_k.jpgPA201331 by orb1915, on Flickr

I decided to see what it would look like coming from the top.  I really like the color!

37108206344_1116fd5d7a_k.jpgPA201332 by orb1915, on Flickr

And here you can see the really chunky heater.  But it shut off on its own, so I'm happy!  The picture is only slightly bluer than in real life.

23965470408_a43b24927c_k.jpgPA201333 by orb1915, on Flickr

• Like 6
fishfreak0114
3 minutes ago, vlangel said:

So with rocks and sand your coffee container holds almost 1/3 of a gallon?  Thats not much water!  You are brave tackling such a tiny pico.

Thanks, I'm kind of nervous for such a tiny volume.  I put 1.5L of water into the tank, and google said that was just shy of 1/3 of a gallon!  Yeesh!  Had I realized how much water the rocks and sand would displace, I probably would have chosen a larger container!  Ah well, I'll figure it out.  I think the only real issue I may have is evaporation.  And the fact that my heater is effing huge!  Seriously, it's as tall as the pot! 

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
38 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

Very cute!! Maybe you can upgrade to a coffee addict's coffee maker size :P 

Thanks!  Perhaps at some point I'll need that upgrade!  I can see this thing filling up quick.

fishfreak0114
8 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I like it. Very cool.

What light are you using? 

Thanks :) I'm using this 15w bulb from ebay.  The color is better than I was expecting, and the bulb was cheap!

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/E27-LED-Full-Spectrum-Coral-Reef-Plant-Grow-Light-PAR38-PAR30-Fish-Tank-Aquarium-/292207851134?var=&hash=item4408f1f67e:m:mSlN4W588ku9jHKwxx33pfA

1 hour ago, Orangutran said:

If taking pics on your phone, edit it with the app snapseed to reduce the blue. (The curves tools) works great!

Yeah I couldn't get over how much everything gets magnified in the container!

I usually use my camera because my phone is so full, but I'll remember to check that app out next time I do phone pics, thanks!

28 minutes ago, vlangel said:

I like the magnifying effect.  

I like it too, I just wasn't expecting it to be so prominent!  It's kind of interesting to look at,

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

Well, I may have picked up a hermit yesterday.  I have no idea what kind it is, but he's cute and little.  I also picked up a mushroom, but it's in my other tank until I figure out the light.  In just over 24 hours there was very little evaporation, so I'm happy!  The temporary lid doesn't even cover it very well.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

I'd better figure out how far away to put the light in the current lamp, because I just ordered the hanging socket and it's estimated delivery is between November 10th and December 4th!  I might tape over an LED or two, and start it at the far end of the table.  But first I need to check if it's actually 15w, or if it is 5w like someone mentioned it may be.  I guess I'll add tester GSP, and maybe a mushie or two (since I always have the odd one drifting around) tomorrow or the next day.  My mom reported that the hermit is still alive and well, and the feather dusters are out :)  In such a short time, this pico has already captured my fascination and is giving me a lot of enjoyment!

edit: nothing about 5w is mentioned in the ebay description, so I'm assuming the bulb is actually 15w as listed

• Like 6
On 10/20/2017 at 12:59 PM, gena said:

I have a vintage blender, probably exactly what you were looking for.  I think we're going to sell it too.  It looks great but really not practical for home use.  It'd be great for a pico though :D.

I bought a vintage blender on ebay a few years ago because I wanted one more powerful than modern ones so I could make green smoothies, and newer nice ones were out of my budget.  Love that blender!

On 10/20/2017 at 9:11 PM, fishfreak0114 said:

I put in 5 types of macro, a little snail, a few asterinas, and a few mini feather dusters.  If they fare alright over the weekend I'll probably add a blue leg hermit.  I'm gonna need to figure out how to take decent pictures of this thing!

37772489486_b4282cb0b2_k.jpgPA201347 by orb1915, on Flickr

Left

23968227558_f317664be8_k.jpgPA201349 by orb1915, on Flickr

Right

37772489246_f172794b4c_k.jpgPA201350 by orb1915, on Flickr

It is so hard to take good pics of curved tank walls!

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
2 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

It is so hard to take good pics of curved tank walls!

It is!  I need to practice. 

I added some GSP to the back this evening, and I'll likely put in a couple mushrooms as well.

• Like 3
fishfreak0114

Time for a couple updates!  Evaporation on the pot in minimal.  It seems I should be able to go 48+ hours without topping up!  Even after evaporation the sg was 1.025.  The mushroom and GSP are doing well!  The mushroom looks huge in the tiny pot.  It isn't attached, and has since been knocked off the rock by the hermit :rolleyes: The GSP also came unglued.  I think I'll have to reglue it when the water level is down.  My water change plan is to just periodically change the water in the pot with water from my other tank.  I figure that way it won't be too clean.  This photo turned out better than previous ones!

37905568962_c0d8147742_k.jpgedited by orb1915, on Flickr

My little hermit.  He still needs a name!

37936098591_629769764c_k.jpgPA241370 by orb1915, on Flickr

I turned the pot around so that I could take a pic of the GSP that fell to the sand.  It's open and happy!

37883188736_9d5e4becae_k.jpgPA241376 by orb1915, on Flickr

I'm still contemplating stocking.  I'd like to put something in there besides the hermit.  After seeing @metrokat and @Mariaface's Dick, I kind of want a candy cane pistol.  Would this tank be too small?  I know I would need to add more sand.  I have a candy cane pistol named Garth in my other tank, but I haven't seen him since the day I put him in!  I hear him though.  He was so cute and little!  If anyone else has suggestions for potential inverts, I'm all ears!  I'm not sure when I could pick inverts up, seeing as how I have to go two hours minimum and the roads are getting snowy, and I don't know what will be available to me, but hopefully end up with something I like by the end of the contest!

• Like 7
  • Wow 1

That's right, be jealous of our Dick!! :P 

I honestly don't know what's considered 'too small' for some inverts.. Meanwhile @metrokat is keeping two red cherry shrimp and teeny snails in what has to equate to two cups of (fresh)water...

• Haha 3