Pod Your Reef

Fishfreak's C.C. Coffee Pot Pico: Soft reboot complete

fishfreak0114

On 2/1/2018 at 11:17 AM, fishfreak0114 said:

Thanks seabass!  I should take a picture of the whole machine some time for perspective!  Of course, that would require me to clean the surroundings. There’s a reason pictures are always close cropped! :lol: 

I know that feeling...why do you think there's no zoomed-out shots of any of my tanks? :lol:

• Haha 4
fishfreak0114
3 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Hey, we are still waiting for that zoomed out photo of everything!

Soon, I swear!  I have a strong aversion to cleaning, and that table is probably the messiest thing in the house!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
fishfreak0114

Here it is!  A shot of the full machine.  Of course, if this was any more zoomed out you would all see that I just used my arm to sweep the pile of junk to the opposite end of the table :lol:.

39522013944_24e3df5cbe_k.jpgPico FTS by orb1915, on Flickr

The machine doesn't look quite the same anymore, however.  I made a bit of a modification today to allow me to incorporate some plants into the setup!  I've wanted to do that for a while.  In the process, I managed to scratch up the lid pretty bad :( I'm not so great with a dremel.  So now I have a choice to make, and I'd like your guys opinions. 

In light of the damage, I have three choices:

A. leave it as it

B. paint the whole machine black, or another color

C. attempt to paint something pretty on it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 3
fishfreak0114
19 minutes ago, vlangel said:

It looks great!  I love seeing the jar in context of the whole coffee maker.

I couldn't see the scratches so I don't know what to tell you.

Thanks!  That pic above was actually taken before my modifications today. I guess unless I’m taking pics from a high angle they won’t be very noticeable though. 

12 minutes ago, natalia_la_loca said:

A. Leave it as it is because we would have no idea there were any scratches if you hadn’t mentioned it.

it looks super awesome :flower:

Thank you!  I think I might put a little black nail polish on the scratches, but I’ll leave the rest as is!

11 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Leave it! Looks great! 

Thanks seafurn!  Sounds like I’ll be leaving the machine in it’s current state :) 

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Here’s a pic of the damage. The dremel gouged out a fair bit of plastic. I put silicone on anything that could possibly leak inside the machine, and soon I’ll be putting plants in the now open back section!!

Pico

• Like 9
25 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Here’s a pic of the damage. The dremel gouged out a fair bit of plastic. I put silicone on anything that could possibly leak inside the machine, and soon I’ll be putting plants in the now open back section!!

Pico

The scratches are not terrible but I can see them in this view.  I like your idea of adding plants in the back.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
36 minutes ago, vlangel said:

The scratches are not terrible but I can see them in this view.  I like your idea of adding plants in the back.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
11 hours ago, Droy008 said:

I'd say go with painting it. It would add so much charm with the plants and corals. :)

I think I’m going to cover the scratches with nail polish for now and keeping thinking about it :) 

25 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Plants would be a great addition. Love the look of the whole coffee maker.

Thanks!

If you use a vining plant like phylodrendron or ivy, you can let it grow over and around the top.  The focus will be on all the life and no one will ever notice the scratches.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
1 hour ago, vlangel said:

If you use a vining plant like phylodrendron or ivy, you can let it grow over and around the top.  The focus will be on all the life and no one will ever notice the scratches.

That’s a good idea!  Do they make good house plants?  For the moment, I’m just going to put in bits of whatever I find around the house, but come spring I have no problems with redoing it with more suitable plants!

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

That’s a good idea!  Do they make good house plants?  For the moment, I’m just going to put in bits of whatever I find around the house, but come spring I have no problems with redoing it with more suitable plants!

Yes, both of those make excellant house plants.  They don't need direct sunlight and will do well with just ambient light from a window.  Both are sturdy, easy to keep plants.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

I contacted a guy yesterday who is an hour and a half away who runs a reef store. He’s placing an order in about four weeks, and I’ve asked him to order a Pom Pom crab and a porcelain crab for me :) 

• Like 4
fishfreak0114

I planted today!  Well, technically I planted yesterday, but water managed to escape even past the silicone and pool on the table.  So I took it all out, and duck taped a double layer of freezer ziplocks in!  Hopefully that holds up.  This afternoon I stuck the plants back in.  I just added pieces of the various houseplants scattered around the living room for now.

40282165942_1cb1c1897e_k.jpgPico by orb1915, on Flickr

This afternoon I also gave the pico a water change for the first time in at least two weeks since I finally cleaned my other tank.  I didn't see the point in taking out dirty water to add fairly dirty water back in.  I added a couple new zoa polyps from things that have grown well in my other tank, and cleaned the glass!  Since the beginning of the contest, I've pretty much just removed the film algae.  The hard green spots were tough to scrub off with a toothbrush.  There was a lot, and the pico looked kinda gross.  So this time, I tested a few things.  A toothbrush, exacto knife, razor, and an abrasive scrubbing pad.  The pad worked really good!  The razor and exacto knife couldn't get anything off the glass, and I had the same troubles with the toothbrush as before.  The class is squeaky clean now!

39616253554_50edcc2d2c_k.jpgPico by orb1915, on Flickr

The caulerpa has grown so well!  It was taking over, so today i removed a huge amount and put it into my other tank.

39615532274_915587aad4_k.jpgPico by orb1915, on Flickr

I also figured out today that the best way to make sure I'm removing the nasties is to gently baste the sand, and then immediately suck in the dirty water.   This was the gross result!

26455090288_56352498f4_k.jpgPico by orb1915, on Flickr

• Like 7
  • Wow 1
fishfreak0114
1 hour ago, vlangel said:

Your squeaky clean pico pot looks wonderful.  If only they could stay so clean so that we could really enjoy our containers!

Thanks!  Now that I've found a way to get the tough algae spots off, I'll be cleaning it regularly!  It looks like a whole new tank!

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

It’s almost time for this month’s official FPS!  In the meantime, here are some other pics...

Pico potPico potPico potPico potPico pot

This little clove has snuck past the cabbage leather!

Pico pot

This is is what it looks like under the lid. Kinda messy, but it works!

Pico pot

The other day while removing an aiptasia from my other tank I came across this big brittle star. Into the pot he went!

Pico pot

• Like 6