Top Shelf Aquatics

Fishfreak's C.C. Coffee Pot Pico: Soft reboot complete

fishfreak0114

fishfreak0114
7 hours ago, seabass said:

Wow your pot is awesome!  The video came out great.

Thank you!  It was so quick and easy to make a video on this phone since iMovie is already installed!  I’m pretty impressed with the camera so far!

23 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Awesome video update, the coffee pot pico is coming along beautifully @fishfreak0114! Congrats on the new iPhone too, that's a big leap forward! How fun :happy: 

Thanks CM!  I’m pretty happy with the progress so far :) I had the 4s for about four years, and it was a hand-me-down to begin with.  It’s crazy how more advanced the 7 is!!!

19 minutes ago, gena said:

Sooo nice.  What a happy little coffee pot :happydance:.

Thank you Gena!

• Like 2
fishfreak0114
1 minute ago, SaltyBuddha said:

Looking good! I need to get a cool little app for my android to do some videos. IPhones just have it all #brewmesomecorals

Thanks!  I’d love to see a video of your pico!

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
26 minutes ago, vlangel said:

In spite of the light troubles you have dealt with your coffee pot reef is so full of interesting life.  Way to persevere fishfreak.

Thank you!  

I just added a couple little critters. 2 asterina, a pineapple sponge, another type of hitchhiker sponge, and some mini feather dusters. I’m not terribly concerned where they all end up, as I want them in there for diversity and not looks. I also put in a little mushroom that was loose in my other tank. Fingers crossed for no mushroomy-mush this time around!

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

It's been a while since I've updated!  The coffee pot is still chugging along with very little help from me.  I did a water change last week I think.  This week I've fed decapsulated brine shrimp eggs twice, and mysis and frozen rotifers once.  Everything is looking happy. 

The new light arrived today!  I took a different approach this time.  Instead of using tape over part of it, I rubber banded two layers of tulle in front of it.  It seems to be giving a more even color.  I miss being able to not edit my photos already!   While it doesn't look too blue in person, the pictures are totally washed!

The inkbird also showed up, but I haven't installed it yet.  This weekend I think!

Took this one a while back, blue clove polyps

27968160679_fbf6e3eb6f_k.jpgPico by orb1915, on Flickr

The bulb arrived in this box.  I'm surprised it managed to survive!

25883459218_a1ff18c397_k.jpgPico by orb1915, on Flickr

I found a filter on the flickr app that removed a little bit of the blue

39755172011_3057be8b8f_z.jpgPico by orb1915, on Flickr

And just to end on a cute note--puppy yoga!!!!

39747100261_3c0b6315a2_b.jpgPico by orb1915, on Flickr

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Hey I use a par16 bulb as well. What wattage did you get, 5 or 15? I thought I ordered a 15w recently, but it doesn't seem too bright. Anyway, I've had one of these from a couple of years ago and it's still working, maybe your enclosed coffee machine made it overheat? Good plan to order extras. :) Pot looks great!

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
2 hours ago, Orangutran said:

Hey I use a par16 bulb as well. What wattage did you get, 5 or 15? I thought I ordered a 15w recently, but it doesn't seem too bright. Anyway, I've had one of these from a couple of years ago and it's still working, maybe your enclosed coffee machine made it overheat? Good plan to order extras. :) Pot looks great!

I’m pretty sure I ordered the 5w. Hopefully this bulb lasts longer. It was never overly hot when I felt it, but you never know. And thanks!

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Whew, time is flying by! I guess it's about time for another update and some pics :) I set up the inkbird last week, and it seems to be functioning as it should.  I made sure to really secure the probe so that it absolutely cannot come out of the pot!  The hammer wasn't doing well, so I moved it back into the other tank.  I think that colony was just on it's way out.  Although the piece in the pico lasted longer than the others, I could see it slowly receding :( 

And now, pics!

39245859354_d78906be87_k.jpgIMG_0213 by orb1915, on Flickr

This is what went in the place of the hammer

39924044722_9661f2078e_z.jpgIMG_0217 by orb1915, on Flickr

This guy is growing a second polyp

39245858974_afeb2ef2c3_z.jpgIMG_0218 by orb1915, on Flickr

39245858824_0beef3d350_z.jpgIMG_0221 by orb1915, on Flickr

39245858924_bd9eb3ac78_z.jpgIMG_0219 by orb1915, on Flickr

Some morning sunlight

26083315288_a27fa4d75e_z.jpgIMG_0222 by orb1915, on Flickr

39956029141_8f81b9650f_z.jpgIMG_0223 by orb1915, on Flickr

• Like 10
  • Wow 2
18 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

The hammer wasn't doing well, so I moved it back into the other tank.

Probably just as well.  It could easily cause problems in such a small space.

The pot is looking great.  Keep up the good work.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
36 minutes ago, seabass said:

Probably just as well.  It could easily cause problems in such a small space.

The pot is looking great.  Keep up the good work.

That’s what I was thinking. I didn’t want it to really go downhill while I was gone and wreak havoc.  And thanks!  

9 minutes ago, MarieH said:

I'll have a cup of that.  And a donut to go. Nice work.

Thank you!

fishfreak0114
3 hours ago, vlangel said:

Lookin' great!  I wished I had some green grape caulerpa.  That is one macro that I have never had but I like the way it vines.

Thanks!  The grape caulerpa is a favourite of mine. The only annoying thing is that when the little bubbles fall off, it looks like a piece of bubble algae. I’ve chased them around the tank so many times trying to fish them out!

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Here’s my official January FPS!  Nothing like waiting until the bitter end. I had planned to get it up a couple days ago, but I’ve been sick. So, here ya go!

Pico JanuaryPico January

• Like 7
  • Wow 1

I hope you are feeling better.  The pot is still looking awesome.  It's hard to imagine how small that pot really is.  But when you look at the contents, it looks so big.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
10 hours ago, seabass said:

I hope you are feeling better.  The pot is still looking awesome.  It's hard to imagine how small that pot really is.  But when you look at the contents, it looks so big.

Thanks seabass!  I should take a picture of the whole machine some time for perspective!  Of course, that would require me to clean the surroundings. There’s a reason pictures are always close cropped! :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Looks like the corals are perking along :D

Your coffee pot is a very happy place, and the new light is just right. I like the effect of the black tulle fabric, I agree that it seems to have evened out the spectrum.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
48 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Looks like the corals are perking along :D

Your coffee pot is a very happy place, and the new light is just right. I like the effect of the black tulle fabric, I agree that it seems to have evened out the spectrum.

Thanks teeny :)  Things are definitely going well in here!  The amount of light the pot gets with a layer of tulle seems to be just right. Nothing is distressed, but I have noticed the stalks of zoas getting shorter. 

• Like 2