Top Shelf Aquatics

Fishfreak's C.C. Coffee Pot Pico: Soft reboot complete

fishfreak0114

fishfreak0114

I’m in!  At last, I’ve found a suitable container.  I visited Value Village on the weekend and came away with exactly what I was looking for—a coffee maker.  I’m kind of nervous to be trying a pico, but I think it’ll be a fun new experience.  And what better time to try it then alongside tons of fellow NR members!  I’ve really enjoyed following along with everyone’s builds so far, but I can’t keep up!  Before I go any further, a big thanks to Felicia, PJ, and Christopher Marks for putting this contest on!

So without further ado…..

37046793713_9a50c318e6_k.jpgPA141286 by orb1915, on Flickr

For $7, who can complain?  It’s about half a gallon I think.  I had originally planned to use an old gumball machine, but after I sealed it I realized it only held 0.1g of water!  Instead I’m keeping some freshwater amphipods in it.

37685063482_9427b741d5_k.jpgPA141289 by orb1915, on Flickr

I already have numerous air pumps on hand, as well as rock, sand, and a tetra preset 50w heater (overkill) from Walmart.  It’s kind of a chunky heater, but it’ll work I think.  I’ve found them to be decently reliable.  I’ve ordered this 15w bulb, which is scheduled to arrive between the 20th and 30th.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/E27-LED-Full-Spectrum-Coral-Reef-Plant-Grow-Light-PAR38-PAR30-Fish-Tank-Aquarium-/292207851134?var=&hash=item4408f1f67e:m:mSlN4W588ku9jHKwxx33pfA

As well as this hanging socket

https://www.amazon.ca/Electop-Hanging-Lantern-Extension-Pendant/dp/B074DTPKLL/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1507216630&sr=8-5&keywords=e27+lamp

I figure I can use the coffee machine to hide the light and cords.  I’m still waiting on the light and socket to arrive, so I’m not sure when I’ll get it set up with photosynthetic life.  I hope to get it wet in the next

day or two so that I can figure out what evaporation will be like.  If I think the water volume is too small, I plan to get an anchor hocking jar.  I saw one today, and holy cow they’re big!   

I’m thinking zoas, macro, and maybe another softie or two.  I might put in some GSP because I love that stuff.  I want to keep it simple since this is my first foray into picos. 

I put some dry rock in the back of my bc29 a week ago so hopefully it’ll be insta-cycled with that and sand from the bc29 as well! 

• Like 9
fishfreak0114
26 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Cool! Following! 

Thanks!  I'm sure this build won't be nearly as nifty as some I've seen so far, but hopefully I can have some happy animals in it!

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

The first thing I did was remove the filter holder

37046789623_15fbbb3f4f_k.jpgPA141291 by orb1915, on Flickr

I figure I’ll try to put my light in here.  Assuming it’s too bright, I’ll try to put something in to block some of the light.

37668572756_04f65b93a8_k.jpgPA141292 by orb1915, on Flickr

No need to keep the coffee machine in working order

37046786183_fc9704a5c6_k.jpgPA141293 by orb1915, on Flickr

Someone broke off the lid at one point :(

37668570516_572a71b1e1_k.jpgPA141294 by orb1915, on Flickr

It was sharp so I finished the job

37046781523_3390fad551_k.jpgPA141295 by orb1915, on Flickr

I need a lid still.  First I tried to use the lid from this jar.  It fit the pot, but it was too tall to put the coffee pot back into the machine

37668568036_88507411a3_k.jpgPA141296 by orb1915, on Flickr

Then I attempted to break a piece of glass with pliers into a circle

37046778423_1cb2561319_k.jpgPA141300 by orb1915, on Flickr

Fail…

37668566696_980fd840d5_k.jpgPA141302 by orb1915, on Flickr

I’ll probably set it up here next to my spot on the couch

37046774953_f9836b18d9_k.jpgPA141303 by orb1915, on Flickr

Leak test with hot water and vinegar to dual as a nice cleaning.  It holds water!

37668564806_e8ff4ea335_k.jpgPA141304 by orb1915, on Flickr

• Like 9
Thrassian Atoll

You should of used the ketchup bottle.  ?  Just kidding.  It would be sweet if you could use the coffee pot machine as the heater.  ? 

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
36 minutes ago, Droy008 said:

Very cool, looking forward to this one!

Thanks!  I'm excited!

33 minutes ago, TILTON said:

You should of used the ketchup bottle.  ?  Just kidding.  It would be sweet if you could use the coffee pot machine as the heater.  ? 

:lol: if only.  I'd need long skinny tweezers for that one!  No chance of using the built in coffee pot heater now, I cut the cord off!

19 minutes ago, seabass said:

I'm glad to see this being done.  I seriously thought about doing the same thing.

I saw that you posted that as an idea!  It was part of my inspiration! :)

• Like 1

If you haven't ordered the socket yet, they have them at IKEA! Although IKEA one does not have a on/off switch. Cool idea with the coffee maker!

I would love to gut an old apple computer and put a reef in it. 

Just realized you're in Canada. Where abouts?

• Like 2

I love the coffee pot as a container.  I am a die hard coffee drinker, although I use a french press, which would have made a neat container too.  This is my first real try at a pico as well and I decided that I better take advantage of all 3 gallons that are allowable, LOL.

• Like 2
fishfreak0114
3 hours ago, Orangutran said:

If you haven't ordered the socket yet, they have them at IKEA! Although IKEA one does not have a on/off switch. Cool idea with the coffee maker!

I would love to gut an old apple computer and put a reef in it. 

Just realized you're in Canada. Where abouts?

I haven't ordered it yet, but unfortunately I'm a couple hours from the nearest IKEA.  I think the gas would cost more than the socket!  Thanks for telling me though, I'll keep that in mind if I'm needing a socket for something next time I'm at IKEA.  And thanks!  A computer would be so cool!  You should totally do it!  I'm in Merritt, BC.  I don't see a whole lot of West coast reefers on here!

3 hours ago, vlangel said:

I love the coffee pot as a container.  I am a die hard coffee drinker, although I use a french press, which would have made a neat container too.  This is my first real try at a pico as well and I decided that I better take advantage of all 3 gallons that are allowable, LOL.

Thanks! I don't drink a whole lot of coffee, but I thought it could look neat :) I thought about maximizing my water volume, which is why anchor hocking is my back up.  But I figured I'd give the coffee pot a go!  I'm really enjoying your build so far!

• Like 3

You'll need a small light to fit inside the coffee maker.  I was thinking that this would fit nicely: https://coralcompulsion.myshopify.com/products/3w-par16-led-blue-actinic

It's a shame that you can't buy it with one white LED.  Somebody said they have seen a PAR16 with 2 blue and 1 white LED, but I can't find one anywhere.

The other bulb that might work is: https://www.amazon.com/Coralife-Compact-Fluorescent-Colormax-10-Watt/dp/B0002AQ44O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508500593&sr=8-1&keywords=corallife+10w+compact

It is significantly longer, but might still fit on its side diagonally. :unsure:

• Like 1
On 10/19/2017 at 12:10 AM, TILTON said:

It would be sweet if you could use the coffee pot machine as the heater.  ? 

Even sweeter if you could use the reservoir and water drip dispenser as an ATO. Let's go MacGyver! Get on it!

• Like 3
fishfreak0114
9 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Love it.

4 hours ago, metrokat said:

Love!

Thanks gals!  It's so fun being able to follow each other's builds!

3 hours ago, seabass said:

You'll need a small light to fit inside the coffee maker.  I was thinking that this would fit nicely: https://coralcompulsion.myshopify.com/products/3w-par16-led-blue-actinic

It's a shame that you can't buy it with one white LED.  Somebody said they have seen a PAR16 with 2 blue and 1 white LED, but I can't find one anywhere.

The other bulb that might work is: https://www.amazon.com/Coralife-Compact-Fluorescent-Colormax-10-Watt/dp/B0002AQ44O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508500593&sr=8-1&keywords=corallife+10w+compact

It is significantly longer, but might still fit on its side diagonally. :unsure:

I figure the light I ordered will be physically small enough, but WAY too bright.  I mean, 15w on a half gallon?  I really like the wattage of that coral compulsion bulb, but I like my lights pretty white.  The bulb I ended up ordering has some white.  I think I'll tape over a bit of it, and I might put some kind of barrier between the light and pot.  If that doesn't work, I found this

https://www.amazon.ca/Colormax-Mini-Compact-Fluorescent-Lamp/dp/B00BS98R84/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1508514774&sr=8-3&keywords=coralife+compact+fluorescent+10w

I'm pretty sure it's the exact same as the one you posted, but on amazon.ca :)

3 hours ago, TheBig053 said:

Even sweeter if you could use the reservoir and water drip dispenser as an ATO. Let's go MacGyver! Get on it!

Oh great, now I'm thinking about how that would be possible... It would fix what I assume will be my biggest problem--evaporation.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, seabass said:

that was me...might be overkill still but 2 blue, 2 white and one purple:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/E27-LED-Full-Spectrum-Coral-Reef-Plant-Grow-Light-PAR38-PAR30-Fish-Tank-Aquarium-/301965526915?var=&hash=item464e8c4783:m:moIP2zuh9gL83IlP8Uzn3gg

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
4 minutes ago, Boggers said:

That's what I bought!!  I found one that shipped from the US though. 

4 minutes ago, gena said:

VERY cool!!!!  I think this is the only coffee pot so far :D.

Thanks Gena!  It's been so fun seeing what containers everyone comes up with!  I'd love to see another person do a coffee pot :)

• Like 1
Just now, fishfreak0114 said:

Thanks Gena!  It's been so fun seeing what containers everyone comes up with!  I'd love to see another person do a coffee pot :)

Me too!!!!!!  There's still time, people!!!!!!! :D

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, gena said:

VERY cool!!!!  I think this is the only coffee pot so far :D.

7 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

That's what I bought!!  I found one that shipped from the US though. 

I was going to use a vintage percolator before I found a way to make my current container work. I am likely going to give it to my Puerto Rican friend once they move in with us, and help him set it up before the deadline to enter in!

Can't wait to see what you do with this.

• Like 3

I considered a coffee pot as well when I went looking, but liked the one I found more. I was afraid the light would be too close hidden in the top of the pot. No light spillage though.

I was actually looking for an old blender to do something like the gum ball machine but couldn't find one. I had asked the officials if I could do a closed loop system from flow but was turned down. It would have been very different but hard to see the corals.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Boggers said:

I considered a coffee pot as well when I went looking, but liked the one I found more. I was afraid the light would be too close hidden in the top of the pot. No light spillage though.

I was actually looking for an old blender to do something like the gum ball machine but couldn't find one. I had asked the officials if I could do a closed loop system from flow but was turned down. It would have been very different but hard to see the corals.

I have a vintage blender, probably exactly what you were looking for.  I think we're going to sell it too.  It looks great but really not practical for home use.  It'd be great for a pico though :D.

• Haha 2
fishfreak0114
11 minutes ago, schgr.cube said:

I was going to use a vintage percolator before I found a way to make my current container work. I am likely going to give it to my Puerto Rican friend once they move in with us, and help him set it up before the deadline to enter in!

Can't wait to see what you do with this.

Yay, the percoralator can live on!  It's really great that you're doing that for your friend :) 

6 minutes ago, Boggers said:

I looked at a couple blenders at Value Village too.  You could still do it in addition to the contest!  I think it would be pretty neat.