Top Shelf Aquatics

How long to make rodi

Clown79

32 minutes ago, TILTON said:

Couple of hours.  My pressure is 40.

Tilton have you ever looked into a booster pump you definitely get a better return with more pressure 

Ya my psi runs almost 70 no booster

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll
1 hour ago, Dougefresh35 said:

Tilton have you ever looked into a booster pump you definitely get a better return with more pressure 

Ya my psi runs almost 70 no booster

I have not.  I need to look into it.  Not sure why it's so low.  Water is always warm here in Phoenix.

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

How long does it take for you to fill a 5g bucket?

Oh boyyyy! He’s back!!!

every RODI system has a rating. I have a 75gpd unit. So 75 gallons in 24h. About 3 gallons an hour. So a gallon every 20 minutes. 

Look at your unit. If you run it at proper pressure you’ll get that GPD. You run it loader it’ll be slower. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

Lol. So it's different for everyone.

My psi is 60. It's been 30 mins and I have about a gallon.

It's like watching water boil.lol

Don't know what my pressure is but mine is about the same. 30 min per gallon. I just set a timer and walk away to do other things. I try to always have 2 gallons ready to go. 

I was just surprised at the slow trickle but it's coming along.

2 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Oh boyyyy! He’s back!!!

every RODI system has a rating. I have a 75gpd unit. So 75 gallons in 24h. About 3 gallons an hour. So a gallon every 20 minutes. 

Look at your unit. If you run it at proper pressure you’ll get that GPD. You run it loader it’ll be slower. 

He is a she and I was curious to know what everyone else's experience was...isn't that the point of the forum?

9 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I was just surprised at the slow trickle but it's coming along.

He is a she and I was curious to know what everyone else's experience was...isn't that the point of the forum?

I told you my experience and answered your question; whatcha whining about?

54 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

I told you my experience and answered your question; whatcha whining about?

Not whining....the "oh boy he's back"

Makes one think maybe asking questions is a bad thing?

Thrassian Atoll
1 hour ago, SeaFurn said:

About 45 min.  45psi  BRS 4 stage. 

Wonder why yours is that much faster than mine with the same unit and almost the same pressure?  Could I have too much waste water?  Might have to check that again.

I am guessing it also depends on how dirty the water is being filtered right?  The higher the tds the longer is takes?

23 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Not whining....the "oh boy he's back"

Makes one think maybe asking questions is a bad thing?

Makes the boy who comes back or the boy who lived? #Potter

I don’t think asking questions is a bad thing. I think asking questions that could get a straightforward, easily comprehensible answer on google may be a bad thing. Not saying that your question was a bad thing. Or a googleable thing.  What light is on the 10g?

Thrassian Atoll
12 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Makes the boy who comes back or the boy who lived? #Potter

I don’t think asking questions is a bad thing. I think asking questions that could get a straightforward, easily comprehensible answer on google may be a bad thing. Not saying that your question was a bad thing. Or a googleable thing.  What light is on the 10g?

It's the same with every forum and every Facebook page.  The same questions get repeated over and over or there's simple answers on google.  The thing is though, some of the stuff gets burried on the page or this and that.  It helps spark conversation and helps newer people who may have the same question.  

Some stuff on some pages get beat to death though.  I usually just move along though and don't bother.  It's either read this or read one of the 476 pico threads right now.  

4 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Lol. So it's different for everyone.

My psi is 60. It's been 30 mins and I have about a gallon.

It's like watching water boil.lol

30 minutes for 1 gallon sounds pretty slow to me. I have a 5 stage Spectrapure and I'm getting 3+ gallons every hour at 40-45 PSI.

6 hours ago, TILTON said:

Wonder why yours is that much faster than mine with the same unit and almost the same pressure?  Could I have too much waste water?  Might have to check that again.

I am guessing it also depends on how dirty the water is being filtered right?  The higher the tds the longer is takes?

Well I haven't actually put a timer on it. That was a guess-timate. It may actually take an hour but it's in that range. It set it up and then go back to check it and it's pretty full (but not overflowing) in that amount of time. 

Not sure if how dirty the water is has anything to with it. My unit is still really new so maybe that Is a factor - like the water passes through the filters more easily. 

I'm definitely not a RODI expert!! 

• Like 1

I have the Marine Depot 4-stage. My 30 psi pressure was way too low to operate the membrane correctly so I had to get a booster pump.

I have the 100GPD unit at 80 PSI and it'll take me about 50 minutes to fill a 5 gallon bucket.

My RODI 4 stage from Marine Depot used to put out 5 gallons in about an hour. Now it is going at about an hour and a half or a little more. Doesn't matter to me as long as I still have 0 TDS.

When I have a house I want to set up a larger brute system. But don't think I can get away with that in a 1 bedroom apartment lol 

• Like 1

Patience is a virtue.  The slower your RODI, the more virtuous you are...

Seriously, though, it depends not only on the water pressure and the RODI system, but the quality and condition of the filters makes a big difference.  Speed is nice, but 0TDS is the goal.  I have a 5 stage Spectrapure with a 0.2um sediment cartridge and a booster pump.  When it was new a 5 gallon bucket filled in about 45-50 minutes.  Now it takes an hour or 70 minutes.  The sediment clogging makes a big difference, but as long as you get enough pressure at the membrane, it's still fine.  With the booster I get about 85psi.  Without the booster almost all the water goes out the waste line.

12 hours ago, SaltyBuddha said:

My RODI 4 stage from Marine Depot used to put out 5 gallons in about an hour. Now it is going at about an hour and a half or a little more. Doesn't matter to me as long as I still have 0 TDS.

When I have a house I want to set up a larger brute system. But don't think I can get away with that in a 1 bedroom apartment lol 

Lol. I'm in an apartment too. No place for large containers.

My psi is 60.

Now tds going in is 513 (highest reading)?

Going out 0. 

Did about 7.5 G in 2.5hrs.

I didn't care really how long it took. Was rather curious to see others experiences. 

• Like 1