Pod Your Reef

Just another newbie! Need to know next steps?

Crowxjane

Hi guys! Ive been lurking around for a while on here and the net in general trying to absorb as much knowledge as I can because I wanted to get my own nano saltwater tank! In my quest Ive been trolling around online seeing if anyone was selling a tank and I came across this sad little guy, so I went and nabbed him and all of his supplies! 

What I have going on

• 3 gallon tank
  • 2 live rocks
  • 1 1" long clown fish
  • 1.022 salinity
  • 78 degrees 

When I brought him home his tank was pretty dirty. So I preserved as much as the original water as I could but ended up doing a 30-40 percent water change with reverse osmosis water, and scrubbed the sides of the glass and some of the substrate. I didnt get too aggressive as he was probably already stressed from the move and I didnt want to crash the system. I got him all set back up and everything seems to be fine. I didnt feed him the first day and yesterday he got his first meal and ate like a pig!! Hes very active and seems healthy! I know I need to get him into a bigger aquarium asap and I am working on that end so I can set it up in advance as to not stress him out too much. But I guess what I need to know is....whats next? What do I need to do to make his stay in the little tank better or more bearable for the time being? How can I clean it better? Anything Im missing?? Just any advice is really appreciated. I've kept tons of freshwater tanks in the past but this is my first dip into saltwater. Thank you all in advance! Cant wait to hear from you!

Ive attached some photos of the setup and the little guy. I named him Maki :)

P.S The water has really cleared up since these photos were taken as this was right after the move and water change. The last photo is a screenshot of a video to show how the water is clearing up!

maki.jpg

maki2.jpg

maki3.jpg

maki4.jpg

maki5.jpg

IMG_0247.PNG

burtbollinger

i don't like seeing a clown in that small of a tank.

it sounds like you've done all you can or should do, ATM...anything you do should be done slowly, btw...dont do anything drastic and certainly dont add anything else livestock wise.

• Like 1

Hello and welcome.

First off kudos for already deciding to give this guy a new home! A 3g really is too small for him.

10g would be better. Have you decided what size tank you are going with?

Since you will need to keep him in the 3g until the new tank is ready I'd do the following.

1. Make new salt water(match temp and salinity)

2.  Place the clown in a container of water

3. Siphon out all the sand (that's where all the nastiness is if the tank wasn't maintained)

4. Clean filter out completely and Replace media in filter. If using a sponge cut it in half and clean it. Use filter floss to replace the other half (floss needs changing 2 times a week)

Put in a new bag of carbon

5. Add new water (go bare bottom since you are setting up a  new home for the fish.)

Your water and sand isn't a biological filter. Your liverock are. So you can do all new water and no sand.

*always keep seachem prime on hand in the event of any ammonia spike (not likely)*

To keep it clean.

Switch out floss 2 times  a week (I buy mine in bulk for  $12)

Rinse bag of carbon every week and replace it every 3 weeks (you may be able to get away with it 4 weeks since its only a fish)

Do weekly waterchanges using distilled or rodi water.

Top up with fresh water regularly(a mark on the side of the tank when it's full helps you to fill it correctly)

Feed lightly.

• Like 3

Ah thank you all so much!  I plan on getting a Fluval evo 13.5 as soon as possible (Im in and out of town the next two weeks so its a little tough to get it set up at the moment). I obviously want to get into some corals and inverts etc in the future with the bigger tank but Im trying to go slow and learn in the process! 

My shopping list is seachem prime and filter floss....not to sound totally daft can you link where you get your floss from? 

You all are awesome!

• Like 1
REEFreefLJS85

Just a suggestion from me. I would go to t Petco and get a 10 Gallon tank to place him in until you get a home for him Petco has the dollar per gallon sale going on. If you don’t have a Petco just got get a really big bucket to place bike in. But the Petco 10 Gallon is 10 bucks plus tax. Even if you have a Walmart they have 10 gallon tanks for 15 bucks 

I don't think the fish being in a 3g for a few more weeks is going to be an issue. Ppl have clowns in 5g.

The clown has probably been in the 3g for a while. 

Long term, I wouldn't suggest it but the plan is a bigger tank.

I mean realistically if the op is going to set up a 10g for the clown, they might as well set up the evo and put it in it.

@Crowxjane 

You could get the evo going so that while you are gone for 2 weeks it's cycling.

The fastest cycling will be using good liverock.

All you need to do is get the tank, sand, rocks, and mix water.

Rinse the sand well, place liverock in the tank, add sand, add the salt water. Start up pump.

No need to aquascape during cycling.

By the time you come back from out of town, it may already be cycled.

• Like 2

Great idea Clown79!  This sunday I'll go to the lfs and see if I can nab one (I know they carry them there) or order one online.....Just have to find a sturdy stand for it :huh:. And get it up and running until I have a little more time to transfer and observe. Thanks for being understanding about him in the 3 gallon....trust me it wasnt my choice but I knew in the very near future I could provide a better home and thats what Im doing! :)

• Like 3

You're being very responsible. Your plan is sound. The faster the tank is up and cycling the faster the transfer.

Once that tank is cycled, it's simply adding the clown to his bigger home.

Not sure if you are near an Ikea but many use this as a stand

http://m.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/art/60275812/

Or  something like this

https://www.petsmart.com/fish/tanks-aquariums-and-nets/aquarium-stands/top-fin-aquarium-cabinet-17427.html?cgid=300130

• Like 1

I do not have an ikea near me (which is the most depressing thing hahah) but I was in search of new night stands anyway and I could order those online and make that work! I like to have the tank next to my bed so I can watch him at night and in the morning. Thank you for all your help, you've gone above and beyond :)

Reefer Reborn

This is a simple solution that would only take a few hours of your time. I would avoid the EVO 15 you will have greater flexibility with something like this.

Ingredients:

1. 20L tank https://www.petsmart.com/fish/tanks-aquariums-and-nets/aqueon-glass-aquarium-31896.html?cgid=300207

2. Stand  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Homes-and-Gardens-Square-4-Cube-Organizer-Multiple-Colors/29741114

3. Heater

4. Small Container of Instant Ocean

5. AquaClear Hang on back (HOB) model 20 or 30 depending on your budget https://www.petsmart.com/fish/filters-and-pumps/filters/aqua-clear-fluval-power-filter-1832660.html?utm_id=500|pg55960|72667018704&gclid=Cj0KCQjw95vPBRDVARIsAKvPd3ILr59dRjXISO5zj1w7NpR5ate6vxtoysl9kOvCqKawMG66iG9PAIsaAqbkEALw_wcB&lsft=utm_source%3Agoogle%2Cutm_term%3A1832660%2Cutm_medium%3Acpc%2Cutm_content%3AGSC - Medium - PLA - Specialty | Fish%2Cutm_campaign%3AGSC - Medium - PLA - Specialty&utm_medium=cpc

6. 1 fan style pump controllable - Jaebo or similar. https://www.chewy.com/jebao-aquarium-wavemaker-pump/dp/158737?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Jebao&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjw95vPBRDVARIsAKvPd3LYIsVeQhb8kxT0PieI9-XwQsc1PpK7arjHN2J0d58YJ5cNzWIpQKYaAtDGEALw_wcB

7. 10 or 15 gallons of Purified or Distilled water. (No Drinking No Spring)

8. API Ammonia and PH Test kit

The 20L tank is a great size for many reasons, such as surface area price and aquascaping capabilities. The stand I linked to fits a 20L perfectly distributing the weight along the outer edge.

I would put the stand together using wood glue in addition to the regular directions. Smear wood glue on all bear parts of the "wood" The glue that gets on the outer laminate will just peel and wipe off after it is built.

The AquaClear is hands down the best quiet filtration for the money, It should be virtually silent with the top lid off. If not review the directions or take it back to the store.

The controllable pump will let you create a nice wave the length of the tank with the pulsing mode.

Make 5 gallons of saltwater in a bucket to the same salinity as you currently have.

Every day do a 1 gallon water change on your little guy monitoring the fishes behavior for any signs of stress. Put the water in the 20L with equal amount of the new water you made up. You may want to ad a bit of fish food to ghost feed this live water that you are seeding with your Pico tank that way you do this over the cose of a few days. Also put new water to replace your little guys water change. Put your heater and pump in the new aquarium. When you can depending on the level of water ad the HOB to the 20L. Once it is high enough that your HOB can filter make sure your temp and salinity are okay. Don't ad anymore water at this point. This is when you will acclimate the little guy with the 20L water. Once acclimated, your fish, rock and Pico water should go into the 20L. leave the sand behind undisturbed ad new later after some research. You will probably still be low on water in the 20L but you will make more salt mix and slowly ad until you get near the rim. Also leave the algae and rock the way it is for now don't go scrubbing the algae and rock until everything is settled and your fish is jolly.

I posted pics of a setup like this in my boys room pardon the Legos. He refused to let dad give the giant Damsel that we have had for 8 years to the LFS, so this was the solution and he is very happy and swimming all about.

image.png.467c96c496cb384618dc1d8fbe861ee8.png

image.png.497b53cdd4f47ada3d0174d8fe9fb2c9.png

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Crowxjane said:

I do not have an ikea near me (which is the most depressing thing hahah) but I was in search of new night stands anyway and I could order those online and make that work! I like to have the tank next to my bed so I can watch him at night and in the morning. Thank you for all your help, you've gone above and beyond :)

I hear ya. My Ikea is about an hr away so I go when I need a bunch of stuff.

Having a moonlight on the tank is a good idea, you can view the fish and stuff for longer.

I have my lights set up to my schedule. My light has lunar lighting that replicates the real moon cycle so some nights it dark and some nights it's blue until 3am.

You're very welcome.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you need. Everyone on here is super friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Reefer Reborn said:

This is a simple solution that would only take a few hours of your time. I would avoid the EVO 15 you will have greater flexibility with something like this.

Ingredients:

1. 20L tank https://www.petsmart.com/fish/tanks-aquariums-and-nets/aqueon-glass-aquarium-31896.html?cgid=300207

2. Stand  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Homes-and-Gardens-Square-4-Cube-Organizer-Multiple-Colors/29741114

3. Heater

4. Small Container of Instant Ocean

5. AquaClear Hang on back (HOB) model 20 or 30 depending on your budget https://www.petsmart.com/fish/filters-and-pumps/filters/aqua-clear-fluval-power-filter-1832660.html?utm_id=500|pg55960|72667018704&gclid=Cj0KCQjw95vPBRDVARIsAKvPd3ILr59dRjXISO5zj1w7NpR5ate6vxtoysl9kOvCqKawMG66iG9PAIsaAqbkEALw_wcB&lsft=utm_source%3Agoogle%2Cutm_term%3A1832660%2Cutm_medium%3Acpc%2Cutm_content%3AGSC - Medium - PLA - Specialty | Fish%2Cutm_campaign%3AGSC - Medium - PLA - Specialty&utm_medium=cpc

6. 1 fan style pump controllable - Jaebo or similar. https://www.chewy.com/jebao-aquarium-wavemaker-pump/dp/158737?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Jebao&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjw95vPBRDVARIsAKvPd3LYIsVeQhb8kxT0PieI9-XwQsc1PpK7arjHN2J0d58YJ5cNzWIpQKYaAtDGEALw_wcB

7. 10 or 15 gallons of Purified or Distilled water. (No Drinking No Spring)

8. API Ammonia and PH Test kit

The 20L tank is a great size for many reasons, such as surface area price and aquascaping capabilities. The stand I linked to fits a 20L perfectly distributing the weight along the outer edge.

I would put the stand together using wood glue in addition to the regular directions. Smear wood glue on all bear parts of the "wood" The glue that gets on the outer laminate will just peel and wipe off after it is built.

The AquaClear is hands down the best quiet filtration for the money, It should be virtually silent with the top lid off. If not review the directions or take it back to the store.

The controllable pump will let you create a nice wave the length of the tank with the pulsing mode.

Make 5 gallons of saltwater in a bucket to the same salinity as you currently have.

Every day do a 1 gallon water change on your little guy monitoring the fishes behavior for any signs of stress. Put the water in the 20L with equal amount of the new water you made up. You may want to ad a bit of fish food to ghost feed this live water that you are seeding with your Pico tank that way you do this over the cose of a few days. Also put new water to replace your little guys water change. Put your heater and pump in the new aquarium. When you can depending on the level of water ad the HOB to the 20L. Once it is high enough that your HOB can filter make sure your temp and salinity are okay. Don't ad anymore water at this point. This is when you will acclimate the little guy with the 20L water. Once acclimated, your fish, rock and Pico water should go into the 20L. leave the sand behind undisturbed ad new later after some research. You will probably still be low on water in the 20L but you will make more salt mix and slowly ad until you get near the rim. Also leave the algae and rock the way it is for now don't go scrubbing the algae and rock until everything is settled and your fish is jolly.

I posted pics of a setup like this in my boys room pardon the Legos. He refused to let dad give the giant Damsel that we have had for 8 years to the LFS, so this was the solution and he is very happy and swimming all about.

image.png.467c96c496cb384618dc1d8fbe861ee8.png

image.png.497b53cdd4f47ada3d0174d8fe9fb2c9.png

There is more room but the downside is having all the equipment in the tank. It just doesn't look as clean. The evo is a nice looking tank and many really like it.

Plus then the op would need a seperat light too.

I had the set up of standard tank with hob and I regretted not going aio everyday. 2 yrs later I spent more money to upgrade to an aio. 

Another option is the innovative marine 20g, more money but a nice tank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really like the idea of the 20 long, and it seems pretty cost effective but just because Im such a newbie and having so many different "moving parts" so to speak....makes me a little nervous. I was looking into aio just because it deletes some part of the "overthinking" for me. I am not against the idea though and I like the added room it would give me to grow... That stand, the four cube from walmart, is it sturdy? I would obviously use the wood glue its just some furniture from walmart scares me, with all the weight of a tank on top? Obviously its working for you so I will look into it!! Thank you both for your input, I appreciate all the different ideas!

Reefer Reborn

I way 230lbs and I stood on it. All the pressure was under my size 12s. The way that it is constructed much of the weight of the tank will be placed along the edge where the stand is strongest. I would only put a tank like a 20L on it I would be skeptical of other shapes and sizes.

This whole deal will cost you under 200.00

On the Evo look at the lights and the skimmer I have a Fluval Reef M40 14gallon and I don't use the Fluval skimmer it came with it is a joke in my opinion. the Evo is probably similar.

I dont know what the lights are on this Evo so look into that as well.

Clown79 is right you will want to illuminate the tank properly if you plan to reef but if you start out Fish only there are some decent lights out there that can illuminate a FOWLER and Zoas and some soft corals.

as far as junk in the tank you will only be +1 with a 20L, the heater as long as you can fit a heater in the Evo Sump. You wont have a return pipe in the 20L just a intake pipe from the HOB. The circulation pump is probably gonna happen regardless.

This of course is what I would do if I wanted to reef on the cheap, and that's what these forums are about.

either way enjoy.

• Thanks 1

Thank you! So your saying...if I just wanted some zoas and soft corals I do not a crazy light fixture? Because my main goal is obviously make this little guy happy...maybe get him a mate, have some inverts and some soft corals. Im not looking for a "reef" just yet. Would a light fixture that does that be cheaper? 

You can use lower light but the corals will brown out, you will not get the colouration you see online. Best colour pop is 15k and up. minimum is 10k.

Buying a cheap light costs more in the end because the vast majority ends up upgrading, spending dble the amount.

The fluval evo is a nice tank, especially for beginners. 

It comes with a light that is good for Lps and softies.

It has a pump which you can upgrade afterwards if you want to avoid a powerhead or adding a hydor Koralia 240 with the stock pump should work well.

(For start up, stock pump is enough)

You don't need a skimmer in a small tank, don't waste the money on their skimmer.

Many diy media baskets for the aio. It's very easy to make out of eggcrate (light diffuser) then they can use custom filter media.

There are a lot of ppl on here with the evo. Do a search and read up on their threads. It gives you an idea of what you can do to customize it.

Then you can do a standard tank.

You will need an hob filter, a powerhead, heater, filter media, and lights.

The down side to standards are the equipment isn't hidden.

If you go with a long tank, lighting options change.

You have aquamaxx or current marine for long fixtures.

For the more powerful lights you often need more than 1 pendant as the tank is too long for one fixture.

For a stand, the kallax  is used by many for all different tanks and shapes. 

Aquarium need all to be on a level stand and one that can support the weight.

1 gallon of water weighs 8.36 lbs then add the sand and rocks.

• Thanks 1

The Evo 13 will be fine for your needs.  It's a good size to start with without being overwhelming.  You can use the included light until you decide whether you want to try more/harder corals in the future.  I'd totally recommend that tank as a good starter tank, and enough people have it that you can look to other builds for ideas on modifications you might want to do. :)@Crowxjane @Reefer Reborn :welcome: to Nano-Reef, both of you!

• Thanks 1

Thank you both!! Im going to go with the evo! Hopefully nabbing one this weekend as long as I can round up the stand for it! Thanks for the heads up on the stand, I tend to be a little over cautious. One more question, would you recommend the protein skimmer? Or just once a week water changes should suffice. You all rock!

• Like 1

Alright a little/big update....literally on my way to pick up the evo yesterday my mom sent me a link to a guy selling a 30 gallon bio cube tank with stand and everything included (aside from live stock). For less than what I was about to spend in the evo and stand! Sooooo change of plans...I’ll be picking up the bio cube in about an hour! I’ll keep you all posted!

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
33 minutes ago, Crowxjane said:

Alright a little/big update....literally on my way to pick up the evo yesterday my mom sent me a link to a guy selling a 30 gallon bio cube tank with stand and everything included (aside from live stock). For less than what I was about to spend in the evo and stand! Sooooo change of plans...I’ll be picking up the bio cube in about an hour! I’ll keep you all posted!

Amazing! Great tank!