Innovative Marine Aquariums

SaltyBuddha's Floating Islands - December Pics & Update!

SaltyBuddha

22 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Checking in - this is one of my favorites! How are you handling keeping the glass clean? 

Thanks! Keeping the glass clean has been pretty easy. I do a weekly 90-100% water change. During the change, I take the lid with the attached rocks and the one free rock out. If I need more time, I put them in some old SW so they don't dry out. Then I just pick the bowl up and give it a good wipe. Since I have no sand, it is super manageable to clean. I can only imagine the difficulty if I had to keep sand/rocks/water in there while trying to clean. 

• Like 2

That's genius! I never thought about the fact that since the rocks are suspended they come out when you take the lid off.

I designed my rocks in interlocking pieces so they could come out, but now that they have corals on them, they're too big and I break off pieces of coral when I try to take them out and put them back in again. I may try removing some pieces of rock to make it easier, because you're right, it's very difficult to clean the glass with everything sitting in there right next to the glass.

• Like 1

@teenyreef I hear you on that. It's hard for me not to break coral in my IM10. Couldn't imagine a little Pico. 

Just did my weekly water change. As noted in last months FTS there is some algae on the fishing lines. Over the past couple of days some of the GSP closed up. I think because of the algae. I removed as much as a could via toothbrush. Algae is from me adding some water from my IM10 WC when I'm too lazy to make more water :wacko: I got most of it so I'm hoping the GSP will open all the way up again.

Lots of the GSP is growing as well! I will try and get some shots when I have the time.

• Like 2
On 2/12/2018 at 5:05 AM, vlangel said:

That is so cool how your reef jar is looking just like your projected vision when we started the contest.  Great job.

I'm pretty excited about it. This GSP is so green I want to put it in my IM10 when this is done

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...