SaltCritters.com

SaltyBuddha's Floating Islands - December Pics & Update!

SaltyBuddha

5 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

Any concern from heat from the not allowed lighting from below?

No concerns. Just realized this might be breaking the rules :eek:. Thanks for bringing it up @GraniteReefer Either way I'm only using it for display. I initially thought of it as a backlight function but I can see why it might not be allowed.

@Felicia @pj86 is this illegal? :wacko: I will not be leaving this on all the time. It is only for showing the tank and pictures.

LEDs are 5050 - .24watts each and there are 37 of them visible on the bottom. I can tape them up for the contest duration if necessary.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/8/2017 at 12:07 PM, SaltyBuddha said:

No concerns. Just realized this might be breaking the rules :eek:. Thanks for bringing it up @GraniteReefer Either way I'm only using it for display. I initially thought of it as a backlight function but I can see why it might not be allowed.

@Felicia @pj86 is this illegal? :wacko: I will not be leaving this on all the time. It is only for showing the tank and pictures.

LEDs are 5050 - .24watts each and there are 37 of them visible on the bottom. I can tape them up for the contest duration if necessary.

I wonder since those lights would definitely not be enough to light the tank or grow anything, and if you keep them turned off normally, not sure I'd see a problem.  Might better PM one of them to make sure though.  It is pretty neat looking though!

• Like 1
On 12/8/2017 at 11:07 AM, SaltyBuddha said:

If it is going to be used as decorative lighting then I would vote that it follows the guidelines. I'll let @Felicia and @Christopher Marks chime in on it also. 

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I wonder since those lights would definitely not be enough to light the tank or grow anything, and if you keep them turned off normally, not sure I'd see a problem.  Might better PM one of them to make sure though.  It is pretty neat looking though!

Yeah and they only light up the bottom where I wont have anything. Ive been so busy lately the GSP and toadstool are still in my IM10! I'm hoping Sunday or Monday I will have enough time to transfer. Should be cycled by now lol 

3 hours ago, pj86 said:

If it is going to be used as decorative lighting then I would vote that it follows the guidelines. I'll let @Felicia and @Christopher Marks chime in on it also. 

Thanks PJ. It is totally decorative so I was not thinking about the light rules for the Pico when I put them in the stand.

• Like 2

Quick updates. Light is valid per @Felicia BUT I cannot use it for the monthly FTS pics unfortunately :wacko: 

Here is the December FTS. GSP is in and open. Toadstool has not opened yet. Corals just went in on Sunday.

0103181714.thumb.jpg.113e255921fe6349f9fcc7bb23d8f686.jpg

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Looks very cool.

Thanks. The GSP looks really good and has been growing on the sand in my IM10 for over a month. Hopefully takes over fast.

10 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I look forward to seeing the unofficial fts's with the lights on!

It looks really cool with the under lighting! I assume I can still post here as long as it is not on that main page so I will have some this weekend! 

• Like 2
  • SaltyBuddha changed the title to SaltyBuddha's Floating Islands - December Pics & Update!
4 hours ago, SaltyBuddha said:

Thanks. The GSP looks really good and has been growing on the sand in my IM10 for over a month. Hopefully takes over fast.

It looks really cool with the under lighting! I assume I can still post here as long as it is not on that main page so I will have some this weekend! 

I don't see why you couldn't share pics of your tank since we all do share pics other than the official fts! :D

• Like 1

Week 10(?!?!) Update + Corals!

The cycle took a LONG time. So, I basically stopped testing and let it sit for a while. I finished the LED stand and it looks great! Corals were put in on January 31st. The GSP is almost all opened up but the Toadstool has yet to open up since the first day. Time will tell.

Capture39.JPG.a4a54dc1b28f49385ce32b104794a6cb.JPG

Week 2 thru 10 Achievements

Purchased coral. Housed in IM10 until December 31st transfer

Completed Stand with bottom LEDs

Transferred/Glued Corals to LR

Survived Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years

Stand with Bottom LEDs

The LEDs build into this stand are for pictures and showing off my pico only. Due to restrictions with LEDs, I am unable to use these lights for any FTS on the official page.

BUT I will definitely be using them to show it off here.

Capture38.JPG.220612b7d243b8b677e0da6289c0d4b0.JPG

Capture37.JPG.43ca017b4f6d562bd71fc3c7f1b02fc6.JPG

Capture42.JPG.2afc4bfd3922c0c6998210ae2b51aa42.JPG

Top down of stand. Glued different finished woods together with crown molding.

Capture36.JPG.a112b2c6c25962006c2f56ac1c6a316d.JPG

(37) 0.24 Watt 5050 LEDs light up the under side of the rocks.

Capture41.JPG.e9743f370465f4b264015fc976e62dfd.JPG

Random shots for your pleasure, obviously.

Capture29.JPG.d4e59112346e0d56e151e927dfe5e3b9.JPG

Capture33.thumb.JPG.463a86ad6627e56f33b1cc7ed5433b3c.JPG

Capture32.thumb.JPG.621e1011f18a2eecb6acf6c5cc1682a1.JPG

Capture30.JPG.0425fae89972c50455dfd6d8e753e9d4.JPG

Cat Encounters!Capture35.thumb.JPG.ebdc82c3326f128c95652e7fd2867012.JPG

Surprisingly, the cat has pretty much left it alone. Although, I did find him snooping around it one weekend afternoon!

Next Goals

1. Sit back, do some water changes, and watch the GSP grow!

Your input needed! FTS #1 or #2?

I need some feedback on how I want to approach the scape.

Which one of these FTS shots do you guys like better?

Capture40.JPG.aa7573c01f7be3fd1709ae282bf0eb4b.JPG

Follow me on Instagram @saltymelin if you want to see my IM10 and other updates before I put them on here!

• Like 4

Awesome. Thanks for letting me know! I'll have to switch around to FTS pictures on #2 if that is the consensus. Although, I like them both!

The toadstool came out tonight! Here are some FTS with white under lights and the bottom without.

0105181857.thumb.jpg.1adce6c96646177b6a164ab3f9205e9b.jpg

0105181903a.thumb.jpg.6594c7c1c3878381ddf22b24f84463d0.jpg

0105181856.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Wow, the GSP looks amazing!  Definitely avatar-esque. 

This GSP is super long and seems to be reaching for the light. Toadstool is actually pretty happy in here; was only upset a few days after the first WC. Some of the GSP has started to grow more onto the rock as well. Slow going but hopefully it will pick up some speed now that they have been in the pico for longer. 

Avatar was definitely one of my inspirations! 

image.png.b80a0f8c1129ef32eb03b084f5eb597b.png

• Like 2
23 hours ago, tanacharison said:

That looks cool? Are you planning on having anything encrust the bottom or just keeping it clean?

I was thinking xenia as clouds? But I'm not sure at this point

• Like 1