inTank Media Baskets

Help me stock my 25 lagoon

c_man7

I'm setting up a IM 25 Lagoon, the black series, with an eshopps nano cube sump, So I'll roughly have 35ish gallons of water in the system, Running a fuge and skimmer.

My planned stocking

Pair of mocha clownfish

royal gramma 

Hi fin Shrimp goby

Looking to add one more smaller fish

any suggestions. I want something that will actively swim. 

My clowns stick to one side unless its feeding time.

The gramma kinda just stays in or near his cave

These are in my EVO right now.

I know the goby will mostly be near the bottom rock work.

So I want something that will swim out into the open. 

has to be reef safe as well as compatible to other fish.

Wishing I had gone with the black series so I can get a it more floor space along with a under-tank sump.

You'll have to play it by ear and what you feel is least aggressive and start stocking them in the new tank that way.

I really enjoy a six-line wrasse's swimming pattern and exploring the whole tank. Though you might have issues with aggression depending on the fish and etc...

flatlandreefer

I was going to say six line or pink streaked wrasse.  Fire fish could be a good option that should always be out in the water column.  Depending on your taste I enjoy watching my radial file fish, he is always out by the front glass, down side is he isn't a colorful fish if that is what you are looking for. 

I thought of a six line but heard some got pretty aggressive. But I think my female clown would put it in its place pretty quickly. 

She will not allow anything by my wavemaker ( where she always lays her eggs), I have the battle scares to prove that. I'll look into one though.

Thrassian Atoll
13 minutes ago, Nart said:

@TILTON the IM25 Black series, is pretty much our IM25 fusion tanks without the AIO wall. So with the black series, you'll drill, plumb, and sump yourself.

Gotcha.  That makes sense.  Sump would be nice.  Wonder why they don't come pre drilled?  I would probably crack it knowing me trying to drill it.

Origional poster, what kind of corals are you going to have?  5 fish might be too much of a bioload to have if your wanting to keep your nitrates and phosphates really low.

39 minutes ago, TILTON said:

Do you have a link to the black series with a sump?  Haven't seen or heard of that.

Yes basically what nate said. Its the same as the AIO just without the filter chambers. I had the tank drilled for a sump. Check out my build thread. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, TILTON said:

Gotcha.  That makes sense.  Sump would be nice.  Wonder why they don't come pre drilled?  I would probably crack it knowing me trying to drill it.

Origional poster, what kind of corals are you going to have?  5 fish might be too much of a bioload to have if your wanting to keep your nitrates and phosphates really low.

I have a mixed reef. Little bit of everything. I plan to run a fuge and will be getting a biopellet reactor. My Skimmer is a SCA-301. I may just keep it at 4 fish for a while. Really dont want to over stock again....lol Newbie mistake in my 40 breeder (my pair of clowns and royal gramma, watchman goby, flasher wrasse, mel. wrasse, bangai cardinal, chromis, tailspot blenny, fire fish. Was terrible but live and learn since sold that set up and i'm planning to do this the right way.

Thrassian Atoll
Just now, c_man7 said:

I have a mixed reef. Little bit of everything. I plan to run a fuge and will be getting a biopellet reactor. My Skimmer is a SCA-301. I may just keep it at 4 fish for a while. Really dont want to over stock again....lol Newbie mistake in my 40 breeder (my pair of clowns and royal gramma, watchman goby, flasher wrasse, mel. wrasse, bangai cardinal, chromis, tailspot blenny, fire fish. Was terrible but live and learn since sold that set up and i'm planning to do this the right way.

Haha, yeah that was a lot in a 40.  I have 3 right now in my 25.  I would like to get one more but I think it would be too much for my setup.  You can have a lot better equipment though, skimmer and reactor wise with your sump.  Anyways, my Midas Blenny is always swimming around the tank up front.  Cool fish for sure.

Sixline will most likely have beef with the gramma, not the clowns. 

Other ideas:

Fang Blennys (peaceful, do not bite unless you pick them up with your hand)

Midas blenny (can be aggressive to fish like grammas/firefish)

Starki damsel, talbot damsel, springers damsel (most peaceful is talbot > springers > starkii which is more semi).

Small yellow coris wrasse, mine grew reaaaaaaaaaally slow. (peaceful, may pick on/eat small inverts like baby snails, sexy shrimp, ect).

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll

My Midas hasn't been aggressive towards my Firefish or yasha goby.  My goby actually nips at the midas if he gets to close.  ?  It's funny too because my yasha is tiny.

I think my midas would eat all day though if he could.  He's a fatty for sure.

18 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Blenny! Awesome fish.

Hear hear! Blennys are always a good choice. Maybe not the most exciting pick, but a tail spot blenny is an awesome fish. Not only do the help control algae and have a perpetual dumb-guy face, but they love hanging out with you while you crush Miller Lites and complain about how your co-worker Barry literally looks like a frosted doughnut, and will never interject to tell you a terrible story about their cat. TSB +1. 

• Haha 1

My starry blenny likes to perch a lot on the rock work. only swims out in the open when he knows there's food. otherwise, it's a lot of perching and every so often he'll munch on algae around the tank.

If you're looking for an constant open water swimmer... I'm not sure if blennies are the right choice though. Most blennies perch a lot.

I think I may just run with the 4 fish and see how it goes. 

Maybe do some other shrimp.

I have to peppermint shrimp now.

Would I be able to add like a cleaner or fire shrimp as well?

Also thinking of getting a candy cane pistol for the hi fin.

• 2 weeks later...

So after filling the tank with water I used between 20-22gallons of water. 

I think I'm going to just keep stocking to 4 fish for a while. 

I may pick up a reactor during black friday and run bio pellets.

Then see about running another fish.