Pod Your Reef

Salt question / Hopefully last question before cycle

Reeferdave1960

Reeferdave1960

Hi

Ok, bought a RO/DI system and now have approximately between 25-28 gallons of water in a garbage can in my condo kitchen (having nightmares of coming home and finding it sprung a leak while at work, my downstairs neighbors would not be happy lol) 

I am not sure of the exact volume. Can I bring the Salt mix up to approximate correct specific gravity (ill shoot for a bit low and adjust up from there) and put in tank and adjust slowly from there since this is a new fill? Using dry rock and Agra live sand. Should I wait to get the mix perfect before dosing with the pure ammonia / Bio Spira? 

I have been reading that the instant ocean salt needs to be mixed for 24 hours before using, is this true of an initial fill? or just for water changes in established tanks.  I feel like such a noob (and I am) 

I know there is no such thing as a stupid question but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots lol (which right now I am one) :)

Thanks for your help

Tank build thread coming soon !

23 minutes ago, Reeferdave1960 said:

Hi

Ok, bought a RO/DI system and now have approximately between 25-28 gallons of water in a garbage can in my condo kitchen (having nightmares of coming home and finding it sprung a leak while at work, my downstairs neighbors would not be happy lol) 

I am not sure of the exact volume. Can I bring the Salt mix up to approximate correct specific gravity (ill shoot for a bit low and adjust up from there) and put in tank and adjust slowly from there since this is a new fill? Using dry rock and Agra live sand. Should I wait to get the mix perfect before dosing with the pure ammonia / Bio Spira? 

I have been reading that the instant ocean salt needs to be mixed for 24 hours before using, is this true of an initial fill? or just for water changes in established tanks.  I feel like such a noob (and I am) 

I know there is no such thing as a stupid question but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots lol (which right now I am one) :)

Thanks for your help

Tank build thread coming soon !

If you are using dry rock you can mix the water up in tank or out of tank and just add the live sand after you get the salinity correct. The waiting 24 hours is more just a precaution to make sure the salt has fully dissolved and to allow the pH and water oxygenation to level off.

You can add the salt in the tank with the initial set up.

You can also add your sand first. It won't kill anything, the livesand isn't really live. Most ppl rinse it now beforehand to remove all the dust. 

IO takes longer to mix than other salts. It may not be 24hrs but for water changes, it needs pre mixing for hours before use.

Reeferdave1960
5 hours ago, Clown79 said:

You can add the salt in the tank with the initial set up.

You can also add your sand first. It won't kill anything, the livesand isn't really live. Most ppl rinse it now beforehand to remove all the dust. 

IO takes longer to mix than other salts. It may not be 24hrs but for water changes, it needs pre mixing for hours before using.

Ok, thank you !!!

I'll get it close in the garage can then finish tweeking it in the tank.

Thanks for the help