Top Shelf Aquatics

Diving In - IM 20g Peninsula

Goneaway562

Hi all,

I decided to start a journal to share my reef as well as receive input into what I am doing right/wrong. I have kept fw tanks for a few years but after having friends with reefs, I decided to dive straight in. I set the tank up on August 23rd with Fiji pink sand and dry rocks from reefcleaners. After kickstarting the cycle with Biospira and Dr. Tim’s Ammonia, the tank was ready for the first fish (Snowflake Clown named Dot) after about two weeks when everything read zero within 24 hours. Since then I have added a Wyoming White named Ghost, a CUC from reefcleaners, and quite a bit of various corals. 

Equipment:

Innovative Marine 20g Peninsula

Hydor Koralia Nano 565gph

Current Marine Orbit LED

Chamber 1:

inTank Media Basket with Filter Floss/Chemipure Blue Nano

Chamber 2:

inTank Refugium Basket with Chaeto

Innovative Marine MagnaFuge Light

Chamber 3:

Stock Pump

Autoaqua Smart ATO Micro

75w Cobalt Neo-Therm

Fish:

Snowflake Clown (Dot) Went missing 10/18/17

Wyoming White (Ghost)

Coral:

Frogspawn

Duncans

Various Zoas

Birdsnest

Acan

Ricordia Yuma

Seasons Greetings Montipora

Green Star Polyp

Kenya Tree

Inverts:

Emerald Crab (Mr. Crabs)

781DEADA-73F7-4846-89CC-3291132D99EA.jpeg

238CA985-2428-4C42-A95F-C192B74D1523.jpeg

A2D3A27B-5325-4187-86F3-F4B4660F0FE0.jpeg

Some pictures of the Fuge. On average I have been harvesting Chaeto once a week.

844439DC-7FCA-4896-AABF-3C2C0584E602.jpeg

574E73AB-157C-435D-B9A8-04FD28BD235C.jpeg

Latest fts. Not sure I like the placement of the duncans, but everything seems to be really happy. I have seen significant growth in my birdsnest and the monti appears to be happy.

9A31FD40-7814-414C-BDF4-58A11F9CB840.jpeg

Thanks @Lula_Mae! I felt like I was off to a great start until yesterday when my snowflake clown went missing.... I looked everywhere outside the tank, in the filter, and all around the rock work but have not found anything. It seemed healthy up until it went missing since it was eating and didn't show any abnormal signs. My guess is the Emerald crab might have had a snack since the clown loved to sleep near the rocks in the back of the tank.... I'm going to play it safe and give him away to a friend before he murders my other clown.

When a fish goes missing, should a large water change be performed? Or only if there is an ammonia spike? Because I don't know where the body is I plan on testing parameters every day. Is there any other precautions I should take over the next few weeks? Also is it best to not restock any fish for awhile?

• Goneaway562 changed the title to Diving In - IM 20g Peninsula - Missing Clown :[
  • 10 months later...

So it has been almost a year since I last posted and a lot has changed. I upgraded lights to a Radion G4 XR30 Pro w/ diffusers, had to move the tank to a new house and got bit by the SPS bug. As of right now my tank is sort of a hodge podge of corals due to me starting out liking softies and LPS but as my friends tank matures I will slowly give him more and more of my LPS. One thing I have learned over the past year is to feed the tank! I started out feeding once a day pellets with the occasional frozen and have since gone to twice, sometimes three times a day feedings of pellets and frozen. With this I have noticed the SPS have finally started to color up.

FTS.thumb.jpg.d8a2ea2b09bc217dd37ef6646ca7454e.jpg

FTS (Sorry lighting was bad)

Goby.thumb.jpg.64417ac2e5494384cbeda642eaf5fddb.jpg

Goby with Tyree Rainbow Stylo

SCOP1.thumb.jpg.6ce84bc49aed0333cc609830d8a8f072.jpg

SC Orange Passion finally coloring up a little.

VividFireGarden.thumb.jpg.f73d2ecaef39939208ce11668676a87b.jpg

Vivid Fire Garden still needing to encrust on the back wall.

• Like 1
  • Goneaway562 changed the title to Diving In - IM 20g Peninsula
  • 1 month later...