ReefCleaners.org

JBJ 28 intermediate LED startup - what would you do with what I have?

Guest mcfishing620

Guest mcfishing620

What's up everyone?  First post.  This forum seemed most appropriate for what I have, and what I want to accomplish, so here I go...

(to preface, I have done HOURS of researching before making this post, and previously ran a 90 gallon salt fish only tank)

All I've done is prep the tank and put together the stand, no water or anything...Here's what I currently have to work with:

HARDWARE:

JBJ Nano Cube 28 gallon intermediate LED - stock everything

JBJ stand (hey, it was free haha)

Cobalt Aquatics NeoTherm 100w heater

2x Eheim Jager 250w heaters (from my 90 gallon)

Ocean Pulse Duo wave maker (hooked to stock pumps)

1x MaxiJet 1200 power head (extra)

2x MaxiJet 900 power heads (extra)

2 small mercury thermometers

FILTRATION/CHEMICALS:

Aqua Advantage 2000 inline UV sterilizer, 15 watt (from my 90 gallon)

Marineland Magnum 350 canister filter (from my 90 gallon - I have the basket + paper filters)

Sera filter wool 3.5oz

Chemi-Pure 5oz

Purigen 100ml with small fine mesh bag

Kent synthetic reef salt

crushed coral substrate

POWER:

Belkin Surge Master surge protector 8 outlet (2 constant on)

Titan Apollo 9 dual timer

FOOD:

Eheim 3581 automatic feeder (won't fit due to lid)

New Life Spectrum Thera +A 4.4oz

TESTING:

API master test kit

Coralife Deep Six hydrometer

Instant Ocean hydrometer

MISC:

approx 40lbs base rock

2 small nets

magnetic algae scrubber

algae scrubber (wand style)

5 gallon water jug with cap + funnel to fill

What I want in the tank:

Fish mostly, as many as possible, with base rock and live rock with hardy, easy soft corals - just something that is fish based, but is also visually appealing and has areas to swim through and hide with good water current

Things I'm trying to avoid:

No sump, period...

I want as little inside the tank itself and filter area as possible, so HOB stuff is preferable

No chiller (I keep my place very cold, and winter is almost here)

Not interested in buying a different media basket

No additional pumps/hardware visible inside the tank itself (behind in filter area is OK)

Things I want to try to achieve:

Use the hood and stock LED lights (I have crazy cats)

Re-use my UV light (if possible)

Keep the media basket

Everything added is either HOB or external - no additional pumps or hardware inside the tank

As few water changes as possible (I live very far from anywhere I can get salt, and I ran my last tank with doing virtually NO water changes)

SO!  That all brings me to these questions...

1 - What would YOU do with all this given my criteria?  I'm open to ideas, and if I have equipment that just will flat out not work, I am open to selling it if anyone's interested.

2 - Is it possible to re-use my UV light?  If so, how?

3 - should I replace my factory return pumps with my extra MaxiJet 900's, or would there be much benefit?

4 - what am I missing?

5 - how would you setup the media basket with what I have?

I'm sure I will think of more later.  I know there are some VERY knowledgeable people on here, and I am open to ideas and want this tank to be successful.  I haven't put a drop in it yet, and want to wait until I know everything is how I want it.  Looking forward to some feedback!

Running a 28g and  90g is going to be very different. Not doing waterchanges isn't advisable on small tanks.

Smaller systems need more work to maintain them. Vacuuming sand beds, cleaning back chambers frequently etc.

The most fish of average size(2-4")you could do is 4 possibly 5 if they are smaller goby fish. 

I wouldn't use crushed coral, it's just too hard to keep clean. It's recommended to do either sand which you vacuum regularly or bare bottom.

If you want no powerheads in the tank, I'd use the mj1200 for the return, possibly add a rotator to the nozzle to give you more turbulent flow

Most don't use UV sterilizers. There's cons involved in using them.

Most use media baskets in the back chambers. Filter floss, carbon, purigen, and phos reducers (when needed ) are common media used.

The cobalt is a favoured heater so using that will be good

With an aio, I see no reason to use the canister(they are often nutrient factories if not regularly cleaned)

The other heaters and pumps can be used for salt water mixing

Guest mcfishing620
9 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Running a 28g and  90g is going to be very different. Not doing waterchanges isn't advisable on small tanks.

Smaller systems need more work to maintain them. Vacuuming sand beds, cleaning back chambers frequently etc.

The most fish of average size(2-4")you could do is 4 possibly 5 if they are smaller goby fish. 

I wouldn't use crushed coral, it's just too hard to keep clean. It's recommended to do either sand which you vacuum regularly or bare bottom.

If you want no powerheads in the tank, I'd use the mj1200 for the return, possibly add a rotator to the nozzle to give you more turbulent flow

Most don't use UV sterilizers. There's cons involved in using them.

Most use media baskets in the back chambers. Filter floss, carbon, purigen, and phos reducers (when needed ) are common media used.

The cobalt is a favoured heater so using that will be good

With an aio, I see no reason to use the canister(they are often nutrient factories if not regularly cleaned)

The other heaters and pumps can be used for salt water mixing

I know it will be different of course. I'm trying to be lazy as possible with water changes. I think some people go a little overkill. Why buy so much filtration if you are just gonna change 25% a week anyways? 

Would the fact I had an under gravel filter on my last tank play into why my crushed coral was never dirty? UV light? 

I have 2 returns, so wouldn't 2 1200s be too much flow? Also, wouldn't my wave maker be what creates the natural type current? 

What are the cons of UV? Besides more heat? 

So with the filter media I have, utilizing 3 chambers, how would you arrange it? I've heard you can get bad flow problems if you put too much in there. 

I didn't plan on using the canister for filtration, but could it possibly be a way to get my flow for the UV? Would it really hurt to just run carbon or something in it? 

For my water changes I am planning on using a 5 gallon bucket for the mixing, with a smaller heater, and utilizing one of my extra power heads. Once mixed, use my funnel to fill the 5 gallon jug for better control refilling the tank. 

I've also been advised to soak my base rock and crushed coral in fresh water for 5 days or so, then soak in salt water before adding to the tank. 

Being lazy on waterchanges on small tanks leads to high nutrient levels and detritus buildup in the sand.

The laziest I would say on a small tank is every 2 weeks.

Do your return lines actually connect to 2 seperat e pumps or does it connect to 1?

My aio has 2 returns but connects to 1 pump.

So if you have 2 pumps needed then you would use 2 smaller pumps rather than 1 mj1200.

The UV are known to kill beneficial bacteria's etc not just parasites and algae. There is even debates that it truly doesn't kill parasites at all. 

I don't know if the under gravel filtration kept the CC clean or not. It's an old method of filtration, I have very little knowledge on it.

I did CC in my 55g which was ok but was very hard to clean and I wouldn't recommend it in a small tank.

1-1.5" sand is all that's needed

The filter media aids in reducing things.

Carbon polishes the water and removes coral toxins- it needs replacing every 2-3 weeks

Purigen helps with nitrate and silicate removal

Phosguard reduces phosphates(used when needed)

Filter floss collects particles, food, and poop- this needs replacing 2 times a week.

Using all of this media doesn't prevent the need for waterchanges as it doesn't vacuum your sand, blast the rocks for detritus removal, and it doesn't replenish the needed elements when water is removed and replaced with new SW

Guest mcfishing620
6 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Being lazy on waterchanges on small tanks leads to high nutrient levels and detritus buildup in the sand.

The laziest I would say on a small tank is every 2 weeks.

Do your return lines actually connect to 2 seperat e pumps or does it connect to 1?

My aio has 2 returns but connects to 1 pump.

So if you have 2 pumps needed then you would use 2 smaller pumps rather than 1 mj1200.

The UV are known to kill beneficial bacteria's etc not just parasites and algae. There is even debates that it truly doesn't kill parasites at all. 

I don't know if the under gravel filtration kept the CC clean or not. It's an old method of filtration, I have very little knowledge on it.

I did CC in my 55g which was ok but was very hard to clean and I wouldn't recommend it in a small tank.

1-1.5" sand is all that's needed

The filter media aids in reducing things.

Carbon polishes the water and removes coral toxins- it needs replacing every 2-3 weeks

Purigen helps with nitrate and silicate removal

Phosguard reduces phosphates(used when needed)

Filter floss collects particles, food, and poop- this needs replacing 2 times a week.

Using all of this media doesn't prevent the need for waterchanges as it doesn't vacuum your sand, blast the rocks for detritus removal, and it doesn't replenish the needed elements when water is removed and replaced with new SW

How many gallons every 2 weeks? Would even a few gallons work with the right filtration? If you never change the water, you never have to replenish nutrients right? I've seen tanks where they've gone years without one. 

It's 2 Accela pumps, 2 return lines with adjustable heads and a wave maker. 

I spoke to some people at JBJ today, and they were saying I could go this route:

Magnum 350 canister with carbon in the basket with intake coming from center chamber, with my UV light in the return line feeding out to a side chamber. In the basket, use filter wool, Chemi-Pure, then Purigen. The canister is more used as a pump for the UV than a true filter. I may also put the ceramic beads in there until I get live rock. 

They also recommended live sand, so I'll be going that route. 

Blasting the rock, you mean with a turkey baster? 

Most do 15-25% a week.

no. The reason for waterchanges is for nutrient export and replenishing elements ex. Alk, ca, mag, vitamins etc.

Live sand is really no better than the dry. 

To cycle the tank, you will need the rocks in the tank. There's really no benefit of the ceramic rings in sw. They are used in fw.

I can't comment on the canister filter use they recommended.

Other than the carbon needs changing every 2 weeks and the canister will need frequent cleaning or it will become an issue.

I'm not a fan of chemipure. Over priced and the additional media in it exhausts faster than stated. I use individual media's which has been more beneficial to the tank and my wallet.

Yes blasting with a turkey baster and vacuuming and is necessary to maintain the tank.

Guest mcfishing620
10 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Most do 15-25% a week.

no. The reason for waterchanges is for nutrient export and replenishing elements ex. Alk, ca, mag, vitamins etc.

Live sand is really no better than the dry. 

To cycle the tank, you will need the rocks in the tank. There's really no benefit of the ceramic rings in sw. They are used in fw.

I can't comment on the canister filter use they recommended.

Other than the carbon needs changing every 2 weeks and the canister will need frequent cleaning or it will become an issue.

I'm not a fan of chemipure. Over priced and the additional media in it exhausts faster than stated. I use individual media's which has been more beneficial to the tank and my wallet.

Yes blasting with a turkey baster and vacuuming and is necessary to maintain the tank.

The canister is what I ran on my 90 gallon. I had that with carbon running to my UV return line, and a Reef Octopus BH2000 and under gravel filter with crushed coral and that all worked great together. The canister isn't something I went out of my way to get, but just trying to reuse old equipment, along with the UV light. 

So what is something I could run in the canister that wouldn't need replacing? Maybe something I would just need to clean? That way all my media I would have to replace in in the media basket only. 

Guest mcfishing620

Extra filtration and a source of water flow to the UV light. I don't want to copy everyone else. I want to try to work with what I have if possible. I understand most people don't do what I'm wanting to do with a canister filter, but people have used those for years with no issues, including myself. So I'm just trying to see why it wouldn't work for this setup. 

It would be a Magnum 350 filled with carbon (unless there are better options) feeding up to a 15 watt Aqua Advantage 15 watt HOB UV light. 350gph is not enough to kill most bacteria, mostly just algae, although I use the quick disconnects which I can regulate flow with. 

I also just ordered a ReefKeeper Lite and got my Cobalt 100w heater. 

burtbollinger
55 minutes ago, mcfishing620 said:

I'm trying to be lazy as possible with water changes. I think some people go a little overkill.

I don't want to copy everyone else.

Since you asked for advice and you say you are open to ideas....below is just my opinion...no tone or snark intended:

"I don't want to do much work and I don't want to do what experienced  and successful people do."

Accurate? /\ (rhetorical question...no need to answer)

When anyone says "Im trying to be lazy"...I don't see that as a good start.  Why does one try to be lazy?   I understand that people over time with tanks, as they get to know them, can get lazier and have it work very well...but to say one wants 'to be lazy 'right off the bat with something that is new to...why?  (rhetorical question...no need to answer...but I do find it an off-putting mindset...I digress.)

One doesn't want to copy everybody else.....in this hobby, not copying everyone else is done at one's own risk.  not exactly the best hobby to be a trend setter...just IMO.  If you don't see a lot of people doing something, its probably for a very good reason.

also, all of us must be wary of searching out the answers we WANT to hear.

I'd put the canister filter in storage...and forget about the UV for now.  There is ZERO reason to be using it.    You say you want to use the UV....why?  because you have it?  (rhetorical question...no need to answer).  You don't need it....no need or desire to explain further other than to say I'd not add needless complexity at any point in this setup.  Put it in storage in case you actually need it.

I'd never, ever use crushed coral.   

A lot of fish was mentioned.  I'd put no more than 5 in the tank.  Some might push this to 6 or more....I wouldn't.  This is an opinion that many would ignore...as such, I'd advice further research.  This is one area where many push it...

I'd use about 20-25 lbs of rock total in the tank.  Just because you have 40lbs does not mean you jam 40 lbs in there.

Your hydrometers are junk...splurge and get a refractometer for around 30-40 bucks.

I'd invest in a Hanna dKH checker.  (game changer) The Reefkeeper Lite you ordered was a great purchase.

As mentioned above....I'd not be lazy as possible with water changes...I'd be at least doing 20% every 2-3 weeks.  I like weekly...but I guess you could push it up to 3 weeks.  Bottom line....I dont see very many ugly tanks where they do weekly water changes...but I see a ton of gutter tanks...and there is at least an unscientific correlation between the way they look and their owner's maintenance schedule.   Maybe your end game is different, maybe this is some quirky mad-science basement decoration...nothing wrong with that, btw....whereas, my approach is my nano tank is the 'pristine living jewel and center point of my living room.'   

Aim for excellence.  Aim for TOTM.

I'd use purigen....MAYBE run some GFO passively.  Perhaps some BRS Rox carbon in a bag replaced every 2 weeks.  I might also stash some MarinePure somewhere.

You mention you know there are very knowledgeable people on here....I've lurked here for almost 15 years...what Clown79 says might as well be the word of God when it comes to advising.  I'd not ignore anything she's saying.  

• Like 6
Guest mcfishing620
3 hours ago, burtbollinger said:

Since you asked for advice and you say you are open to ideas....below is just my opinion...no tone or snark intended:

"I don't want to do much work and I don't want to do what experienced  and successful people do."

Accurate? /\ (rhetorical question...no need to answer)

When anyone says "Im trying to be lazy"...I don't see that as a good start.  Why does one try to be lazy?   I understand that people over time with tanks, as they get to know them, can get lazier and have it work very well...but to say one wants 'to be lazy 'right off the bat with something that is new to...why?  (rhetorical question...no need to answer...but I do find it an off-putting mindset...I digress.)

One doesn't want to copy everybody else.....in this hobby, not copying everyone else is done at one's own risk.  not exactly the best hobby to be a trend setter...just IMO.  If you don't see a lot of people doing something, its probably for a very good reason.

also, all of us must be wary of searching out the answers we WANT to hear.

I'd put the canister filter in storage...and forget about the UV for now.  There is ZERO reason to be using it.    You say you want to use the UV....why?  because you have it?  (rhetorical question...no need to answer).  You don't need it....no need or desire to explain further other than to say I'd not add needless complexity at any point in this setup.  Put it in storage in case you actually need it.

I'd never, ever use crushed coral.   

A lot of fish was mentioned.  I'd put no more than 5 in the tank.  Some might push this to 6 or more....I wouldn't.  This is an opinion that many would ignore...as such, I'd advice further research.  This is one area where many push it...

I'd use about 20-25 lbs of rock total in the tank.  Just because you have 40lbs does not mean you jam 40 lbs in there.

Your hydrometers are junk...splurge and get a refractometer for around 30-40 bucks.

I'd invest in a Hanna dKH checker.  (game changer) The Reefkeeper Lite you ordered was a great purchase.

As mentioned above....I'd not be lazy as possible with water changes...I'd be at least doing 20% every 2-3 weeks.  I like weekly...but I guess you could push it up to 3 weeks.  Bottom line....I dont see very many ugly tanks where they do weekly water changes...but I see a ton of gutter tanks...and there is at least an unscientific correlation between the way they look and their owner's maintenance schedule.   Maybe your end game is different, maybe this is some quirky mad-science basement decoration...nothing wrong with that, btw....whereas, my approach is my nano tank is the 'pristine living jewel and center point of my living room.'   

Aim for excellence.  Aim for TOTM.

I'd use purigen....MAYBE run some GFO passively.  Perhaps some BRS Rox carbon in a bag replaced every 2 weeks.  I might also stash some MarinePure somewhere.

You mention you know there are very knowledgeable people on here....I've lurked here for almost 15 years...what Clown79 says might as well be the word of God when it comes to advising.  I'd not ignore anything she's saying.  

You can't just say don't answer rhetorical questions when they actually ARE borderline insulting.  In addition, the way you talk in general, can be taken the wrong way.  One could say, you sound like a know it all.  But, as you stated also, that's just my opinion, so I assume it shouldn't insult you either, right?

Moving on...now to reply to the worthwhile content of your reply, since you did at least have what I felt was some valuable content - in my opinion.

You may see maintaining your tank as something you enjoy doing.  I do not.  I enjoy looking at the tank and feeding the fish.  Cleaning constantly, spending a ton of money on salt, and all this other stuff can be a little ridiculous.  Of course cleaning is required, and of course there is a limit to what you can and can't get away with.  My LFS is a joke that has like 2 small tanks for saltwater, horrible quality live rock for $5 a pound, doesn't sell water, and the only thing they sell regarding saltwater tanks is salt itself.  The next closest store is an hour and a half away, so this is not a convenient hobby where I am at.  I also work 50 to 60 hours a week on top of a 45 minute drive each way, and I have a life outside of work.  Dedicating my time off to maintain my aquarium to absolute perfection is not something I intend to do.  What I DO intend to do, is talk to people CONSTRUCTIVELY about how I can find a balance of minimal cleaning/maintenance but still maintain a healthy tank, to sum it up.  This IS possible, and not unrealistic whatsoever.

I'm not trying to do things a different way for no reason, or to just be a trend setter.  I am trying to utilize old parts because I spent money on them, they WORKED, and I don't see why they won't work again in addition to what's there already.  I've read multiple reviews recently on my Magnum 350, and there are people that have had them running for years with no issues on saltwater tanks.  I ran mine for a year and a half with zero issues.  I don't see any good reason this could not be utilized as extra filtration, especially with the intent I have of a heavy stocked tank.  More fish need more food, take more poops, etc, and therefore need more filtration.  Regarding my UV light, why NOT use it?  What would it REALLY hurt?  My intent is to kill algae with it more than anything else.  If there is no use for them, then why were they created?  Why do people use them?  I personally had EXCELLENT results from using mine in the past, so why wouldn't I want to use it again?  What I'm trying to do, again, is find the balance utilizing what I already have with my intent.  

I am getting live sand.

I am going off the inch per gallon rule of thumb.

I like rock that has hiding places and can be swam through.  I don't like putting as much in there as I can fit.

My hydrometers have worked just fine in the past, but I am looking to get a refractometer already.  

What is the dKH checker?  

I mentioned my intent above, and my tank is for personal enjoyment.  It's in my bedroom due to my very loud home stereo in the living room.

What is TOTM?  The amount of acronyms in this hobby is unreal.

I don't ignore anything anyone takes their time and responds with.  What I want is not the norm, and I'm looking to talk to people who can constructively give me ideas on how I can achieve my goal, not people who tell me to be like everyone else.  I used to get told that at work all the time because I bucked the system and worked hard on my ideas, but I am now the one who has had ideas implemented that have changed my industry nation wide, and those naysayers are still the same sheep they were before.  If you don't take risks, or try anything new, you won't achieve the so-called "unachieveable".

Creating a highly efficient, low maintenance, cost efficient tank is my goal, and I WILL achieve that.

burtbollinger
1 minute ago, mcfishing620 said:

You can't just say don't answer rhetorical questions when they actually ARE borderline insulting.  In addition, the way you talk in general, can be taken the wrong way.  One could say, you sound like a know it all.  But, as you stated also, that's just my opinion, so I assume it shouldn't insult you either, right?

Moving on...now to reply to the worthwhile content of your reply, since you did at least have what I felt was some valuable content - in my opinion.

You may see maintaining your tank as something you enjoy doing.  I do not.  I enjoy looking at the tank and feeding the fish.  Cleaning constantly, spending a ton of money on salt, and all this other stuff can be a little ridiculous.  Of course cleaning is required, and of course there is a limit to what you can and can't get away with.  My LFS is a joke that has like 2 small tanks for saltwater, horrible quality live rock for $5 a pound, doesn't sell water, and the only thing they sell regarding saltwater tanks is salt itself.  The next closest store is an hour and a half away, so this is not a convenient hobby where I am at.  I also work 50 to 60 hours a week on top of a 45 minute drive each way, and I have a life outside of work.  Dedicating my time off to maintain my aquarium to absolute perfection is not something I intend to do.  What I DO intend to do, is talk to people CONSTRUCTIVELY about how I can find a balance of minimal cleaning/maintenance but still maintain a healthy tank, to sum it up.  This IS possible, and not unrealistic whatsoever.

I'm not trying to do things a different way for no reason, or to just be a trend setter.  I am trying to utilize old parts because I spent money on them, they WORKED, and I don't see why they won't work again in addition to what's there already.  I've read multiple reviews recently on my Magnum 350, and there are people that have had them running for years with no issues on saltwater tanks.  I ran mine for a year and a half with zero issues.  I don't see any good reason this could not be utilized as extra filtration, especially with the intent I have of a heavy stocked tank.  More fish need more food, take more poops, etc, and therefore need more filtration.  Regarding my UV light, why NOT use it?  What would it REALLY hurt?  My intent is to kill algae with it more than anything else.  If there is no use for them, then why were they created?  Why do people use them?  I personally had EXCELLENT results from using mine in the past, so why wouldn't I want to use it again?  What I'm trying to do, again, is find the balance utilizing what I already have with my intent.  

I am getting live sand.

I am going off the inch per gallon rule of thumb.

I like rock that has hiding places and can be swam through.  I don't like putting as much in there as I can fit.

My hydrometers have worked just fine in the past, but I am looking to get a refractometer already.  

What is the dKH checker?  

I mentioned my intent above, and my tank is for personal enjoyment.  It's in my bedroom due to my very loud home stereo in the living room.

What is TOTM?  The amount of acronyms in this hobby is unreal.

I don't ignore anything anyone takes their time and responds with.  What I want is not the norm, and I'm looking to talk to people who can constructively give me ideas on how I can achieve my goal, not people who tell me to be like everyone else.  I used to get told that at work all the time because I bucked the system and worked hard on my ideas, but I am now the one who has had ideas implemented that have changed my industry nation wide, and those naysayers are still the same sheep they were before.  If you don't take risks, or try anything new, you won't achieve the so-called "unachieveable".

Creating a highly efficient, low maintenance, cost efficient tank is my goal, and I WILL achieve that.

lol whatever bro.  you're very sensitive.  very sweet.

Guest mcfishing620
Just now, burtbollinger said:

lol whatever bro.  you're very sensitive.  very sweet.

And you're exactly the type of person I don't want to talk to regarding my aquarium. 

burtbollinger
24 minutes ago, mcfishing620 said:

And you're exactly the type of person I don't want to talk to regarding my aquarium. 

baby with the bathwater and all that....I even BOLD TYPED no tone intended...knowing how sensitive millennials take things.  comedy.

good luck bro.

Guest mcfishing620

Millenial? You're the worst type of know it all - the type who thinks they know everything. Don't be mad because you have nothing substantial to come back with. Don't worry, you will be reported for ruining my thread with your opinions and bs. I hope you aren't a representation of how people are on here. Don't reply again, not reading anymore of your crap that means absolutely nothing. 

burtbollinger
10 hours ago, mcfishing620 said:

Millenial? You're the worst type of know it all - the type who think they know everything. Don't be mad because you have nothing substantial to come back with. Don't worry, you will be reported for ruining my thread with your opinions and bs. I hope you aren't a representation of how people are on here. Don't reply again, not reading anymore of your crap that means absolutely nothing. 

please point out where I insulted you.  you're being very sensitive.   

if I type "(rhetorical question...no need to answer)" its because you don't need you to waste your time responding....when there's knowledge you should be absorbing and perhaps researching further instead.  

as for being a know-it-all, please direct me to my know-it-all phrasing, please....could it be that you're just getting answers you dont want to hear?  Is my tone too much?  I've been on these boards for 15 years and I think I know enough to be dangerous....guilty as charged.  I could give you substantial info all day...and last night I spent an hour trying to help you.  You coming from a fish-only salt experience, my post is what you needed, IMO.  I stand by it.

RE millenials (18-34 years old) I notice sometimes take offense to things they shouldn't...then claim their experience is ruined and they are taking their ball and going home....all over what might be described as 'perceived microaggressions.'   That was certainly not my intent...which was straight up observation, straight talk, and experience based common sense.

Perhaps you need to calm down a bit....or go ahead and report me...and or block me....your call.  either way, awesome first impression and good luck with the tank.  

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, burtbollinger said:

baby with the bathwater and all that....I even BOLD TYPED no tone intended...knowing how sensitive millennials take things.  comedy.

good luck bro.

Lets not start grouping every single millennial in with this guy, that would be real cool :D.

He obviously just doesn't want any advice, your post was pretty reasonable honestly... Oh well!

• Like 5
Guest mcfishing620

Yeah I don't want advice. that's why I've taken so much time to make the first post, ask so many questions, and take so much time to reply, right?  Sounds like something a millenial would say.  I'm 34, and a former sergeant in the Army infantry who has multiple combat tours, so good luck offending me.  I just don't like dealing with opinionated idiots who think they know it all, or that I care about their personal opinions.

burtbollinger

"good luck offending me"

You seem offended.

...evidenced by trying and failing to have me be banned based on a totally harmless post designed from the ground up to help you and your specific concerns.

anyway...the advice is you seek is above...re-read it without tone as was explicitly instructed and relax.  Perhaps I imagine a threw in a few :):):) while you read.

you're into name calling....which I won't report because I'm not a hypersensitive beta... but on the topic of nano reefs I am far from an idiot.

does it make me a know-it-all if I do 100% guarantee that everything I said up front will be the final word and will be repeated several times by others in this thread after you block me?

anyway, sorry you got triggered. bro.  have a good one.

I know there are some VERY knowledgeable people on here, and I am open to ideas and want this tank to be successful.  I haven't put a drop in it yet, and want to wait until I know everything is how I want it.  Looking forward to some feedback!

You in the original post ^^^

I just don't like dealing with opinionated idiots who think they know it all, or that I care about their personal opinions.

You just now ^^^

What is the difference between giving you feedback and opinions? Just curious. As far as I am aware telling you that you don't need a canister filter or UV is giving you feedback, and an opinion... Not sure how to separate that to make you less unhappy.

• Like 4
Guest mcfishing620

What's actually happening is it's like this...

I want a red truck

You don't want a red truck, you want a blue car because everyone else has one

Yeah but I want a red truck, how do I make that happen

You don't, red trucks are outdated and you can't drive them anymore

I used to drive a red truck and it worked fine

Yeah but it doesn't anymore because everyone drives blue cars now

This is basically what I've been told so far.  There are methods that worked just fine years ago for thousands of people, but yet, they won't work today.  Tell me WHY and maybe I would be more open minded.  When all anyone has to say is be like everyone else because that's what everyone else is doing, it sounds very sheepish.  I'm not a sheep.

So glad that you clarified that you were in the army, and are not a millennial or sheep. That really changes my outlook on all this!

I was impartial at first but have grown to realize that you might win the award for most impossible and delusional poster I've ever met on the internet, congrats.

I wish you the best with the tank!

• Haha 1
burtbollinger

bro...you are coming from a 90g fish only saltwater tank....I'm telling you what you did then vs what you are gonna do now is different....totally different.  

I want to spare you all the time with the WHY, because it would take too long to explain...the shorthand of it all, is that things with corals etc are different....youre working smaller, youre having corals.    if you need to do another month of research to come to these same conclusions then go for it....but water changes are going to be a very consistent recommendation....no need to live on the edge...we're talking 5 gallons a week here, dude.

re your cannister filter....you can easily research a lot of threads telling you why canister filters on a nano is a waste of time....i touched on it....its a mess, and its an unnecessary point of failure.  I've had 2 friends destroy floors with old Eheims....like you, they were using them for almost no reason.

RE your UV....well, its too long to get into but most people do not run them unless they have a specific need...you dont need to run it just because you ran it on a 90g fish only set up.  The only time I'd run a UV was if I was having a specific issue.

yeah, you have old equipment...you'd love to use it again...but there's no need.  no benefit...only increased complexity, points of failure.

your nano experience should be streamlined and clean....use the All-in one design as intended....I detailed above.  it works...its proven, and its what I'd highly recommend you do....In the interest of saving you time, I promise you I am right...know it all or not....ditto with what Clown79 says...someone might look at what i typed and think I'm a jerk or whatever, but they are not gonna come along and say I am steering you wrong....

ONE MORE THING...you say:

"You may see maintaining your tank as something you enjoy doing.  I do not.  I enjoy looking at the tank and feeding the fish.  Cleaning constantly, spending a ton of money on salt, and all this other stuff can be a little ridiculous."

bro...thats not what this niche hobby is....i wish it was....that sounds awesome....but at the nano-reef level....my experience has been one of MOSTLY maintaining.  the hobby IS ridiculous.   When I think on the hobby as a whole....its a lot of maintaining, lugging. spilling water, learning the hard way.....And yeah, the hobby is expensive...salt is something you will need to by....as for the rest, you can handle it....and you need to do it, IMO....take my word for it, or dont....research and decide....but just be careful not seeking out the answers you want to hear.  thats the worst thing you can do, IMO.

Also, you should skip your LFS totally....do everything you can thru MarineDepot or BulkReefSupply.  No need to drive anywhere.

RE: maintenance time sink:  

Proper testing: 30 min. per week.  (dkh, nitrate)

Mixing up 5 gallons of salt water and testing it so parameters match:  20 min per week.

Water change: 30 min. once a week or every 2 weeks

• Like 3
  • Christopher Marks locked this topic