Cultivated Reef

The Girlfriend Pico: Getting Creative With Dongs...

metrokat

This is slowly becoming my favorite build, due to how easy it must be to scrape the glass, seeing that yiu can remove it entirely and even work on you rockscape with no glass impeding your movement... i love it all. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, metrokat said:

Got some snails from @johnmaloney. These are zigzag periwinkles. For size reference, that sand grain is Fiji Pink. 

rsz_snails.thumb.jpg.26756bdf8f90e1f7bb7ef09565959fd2.jpg

The description says: Eats Diatoms, Algae and Detritus on the rocks and glass in your tank. Extremely hardy under normal water conditions. This smaller snail only grows to about 2/5-3/5 of an inch.

The Zig Zag Periwinkles will consume algae, detritus and diatoms on your aquarium's glass and rocks. They are small, growing to a size of only about a 3/5 of an inch at most. They should only be kept in a tank with a lid, as they have a habit of staying just above the water line. <---- true

We have found them to be extremely hardy, the hardiest aquarium species that we know of, and an excellent addition to the aquarium that focuses on diversity.However, they are very small, and have little impact on algae. They are very good for certain applications so we keep them, and they make a good feeding species for mantis shrimp since they spend most of their time out of reach of the shrimp, allowing the aquarist to feed their mantis easily. 

I had some of those! Sadly they did not live long. :(

HOT MESS FTS omgomgomg

For November, we decided to show that we really are dirty girls. 

Hairy Dongs. Salt creep. But it's real. Every day is not a pretty day.

piconov.thumb.jpg.0348705c8d0c30f0b68a8a4ec59406d9.jpg

The airstone bubbles splash on the dome causing the salt creep or salt splash. And the algae forest is quite something. Since the tank is very new and we went through a mini cycle, it was okay to let it ride out and do it's thing. Ignore the lavender essence oil in the back, it isn't my secret dosing regimen :lol:

We also have cyano.  It's a hot mess

dfc36634167dc524dd4f8961849fd8c0--hot-me

youre-a-hot-mess-at-least-im-a-fun-hot-1

• Like 6
  • Haha 5
  • Wow 1

make little algae trolls. You can clean and scrub as much as you like, but In the end we rely upon some pretty dirty organisms to make the whole thing work :) (not to say I don't love a clean reef)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I love it.  A hot mess happens to all of us but most of us don't document it, which is unfortunate.  Now new potential reefers will not think that we always have clean, well groomed tanks and get discouraged and quit when their tank is a hot mess.  Anyway, green is my favorite color!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
37 minutes ago, vlangel said:

I love it.  A hot mess happens to all of us but most of us don't document it, which is unfortunate.  Now new potential reefers will not think that we always have clean, well groomed tanks and get discouraged and quit when their tank is a hot mess.  Anyway, green is my favorite color!

:lol:

Christopher Marks
2 hours ago, vlangel said:

Agreed! Look at all that fuzz :wub: 

Interesting how the salt creep climbs the glass dome. Double sided magnet cleaner?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Agreed! Look at all that fuzz :wub: 

Interesting how the salt creep climbs the glass dome. Double sided magnet cleaner?

That would streak, the salt wipes off easily enough. Just being lazy. :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Hello Hello. Pico is coming along. Our challenge right now is lighting. We have burnt through 2 bulbs and are using a temporary one ATM. :( I think @Mariaface if the bulb you still have right now doesn't work out we might just need to switch to a CFL - that's allowed right?

Peechurs!

zoas.thumb.jpg.b740690b0feb80288da3f048f3fcab19.jpgyumas.thumb.jpg.8b103605baca7f8860b3f927f8dea048.jpg

• Like 10
  • Wow 1
MainelyReefer
18 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Do you know why they're burning out?

Because they are sketchy par38's that probably don't even have a UL listing or any safety standard at all, that's why I rep the CFL but the spectrum leaves much to be desired.  Guessing temporary one means not a socket bulb?

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

December FTS @Felicia

IMG_20171115_152039.thumb.jpg.c95284d0c752bc9576e086b73c0fb074.jpg 

zoas.thumb.jpg.4d5486ee42d57f0813e8e8f7ebb3fe62.jpg

Hey @Mariaface 

Major overhaul of the pico today. I drained it, took off the forest that has grown back after the previous water change when we also scrubbed and did a peroxide dip. While I was doing that I decided to remove the very big dong and replace it with something more dainty. :huh: 

Did a very thorough water change - where did that much detritus come from?! sheesh it was nasty. Anyway - redid the scape, pasted a couple of new corals. It is still pissed off and the water is cloudy. Pretty sure I may have started yet another cycle :lol: 

Wil post pics later. 

• Like 7
8 hours ago, metrokat said:

Hey @Mariaface 

Major overhaul of the pico today. I drained it, took off the forest that has grown back after the previous water change when we also scrubbed and did a peroxide dip. While I was doing that I decided to remove the very big dong and replace it with something more dainty. :huh: 

Did a very thorough water change - where did that much detritus come from?! sheesh it was nasty. Anyway - redid the scape, pasted a couple of new corals. It is still pissed off and the water is cloudy. Pretty sure I may have started yet another cycle :lol: 

Wil post pics later. 

It was Dick, wasn't it?!!? :P 

Hooray for dainty dongs! I'll bet you didn't even spill a bunch of water on your floor without me there, too...

• Like 4

Tank and corals look great.

I've had issues with patches of gha too. Did a major overhaul on mine today.

Where does all the detritus come from? I barely feed my Pico!

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Dick keeps making a mess, I swear!

(But really, there are feather dusters and a ball anemone and hermits and snails generating waste in there! It's a tiny ecosystem!)

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Clown79 said:

13 hours ago, Mariaface said:

Dick keeps making a mess, I swear!

(But really, there are feather dusters and a ball anemone and hermits and snails generating waste in there! It's a tiny ecosystem!)

Maria is right here, I also feed one pellet a day for dick and there is a small hermit crab in there too. Lots of bristle worms, spaghetti worms, feather dusters. I should take a picture first thing in the morning before I turn on the light - all these critters are on the surface of the sand, it's quite something to see so much life in there. Last week I put in some tigger pods too. 

• Like 3