Coral Vue Hydros

The Girlfriend Pico: Getting Creative With Dongs...

metrokat

Happy November. 

The contest has officially kicked off today, now to hold on for 6 months. fingerscrossed

When we upgraded containers, we had other options too. Here is a look at what else we were contemplating

The far combo is what we went with. The globe would have been fantastic if only we could have found a perfectly round globe.

rsz_1rsz_3picos.thumb.jpg.5e2f2facae58a157d1014c1b071262e1.jpg

• Like 11
13 hours ago, metrokat said:

When we upgraded containers, we had other options too. Here is a look at what else we were contemplating

The far combo is what we went with. The globe would have been fantastic if only we could have found a perfectly round globe.

You're so right, That globe would have really been amazingly perfect, except for the bottom! So too bad...

• Like 1

Good morning. The dongs have crabs. :blink::o:lol: Trying to get a good picture was a challenge, the crab was on the back side so I had to do a selfie camera angle and it's blurred but at least you see a big dong. :D

rsz_crab.thumb.jpg.e0bec1953387e7f5f800428702eae735.jpg

Here were some other considerations for a creative container. A beautiful tea pot! I mulled over several kinds and they all had a small water volume, but I thought this had a lovely shape. However when @Mariaface saw all the options and saw the Cloche in action - well, there was no competition.

rsz_teapot.thumb.jpg.93e89d2b40ad21bfdcf6db61bcf4f8c2.jpg

I had asked if freshwater was allowed and if it was this was my idea: The light bulb pico.

Japanese-Light-Bulb-Aquarium-Copy-2.jpg.a8e8894b28ab9e914303a4332728d3fa.jpg

I certainly had a ton of fun sourcing out a creative container. :)

• Like 8

I totally was with you in attempting a FW pico too. It would have never won on this site, but it would have been different.

I think your tank is very unique.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sunday Funday. Near 100% water change day. Yay.

We are growing algae - the bulb that we have is probably a great pot grower or something because we have hairy Dongs @Mariaface. :o

The only thing keeping this pico alive after 3 weeks is the 100% water changes. Oh that reminds me, have to upload the WC video.

pico3.thumb.jpg.82d5d8aa39a9369bba1567b69bb5aa9f.jpg

pico2.thumb.jpg.b6114a75370266f3ab04dc7f9fe559e2.jpg

And here is Maria's fav thing: a small ball anemone. (bottom left corner)

pico.thumb.jpg.65e6c4584aad1578c20098e703e78590.jpg

• Like 11
  • Wow 1
On 11/3/2017 at 10:54 AM, metrokat said:

Good morning. The dongs have crabs. :blink::o:lol: Trying to get a good picture was a challenge, the crab was on the back side so I had to do a selfie camera angle and it's blurred but at least you see a big dong. :D

rsz_crab.thumb.jpg.e0bec1953387e7f5f800428702eae735.jpg

Here were some other considerations for a creative container. A beautiful tea pot! I mulled over several kinds and they all had a small water volume, but I thought this had a lovely shape. However when @Mariaface saw all the options and saw the Cloche in action - well, there was no competition.

rsz_teapot.thumb.jpg.93e89d2b40ad21bfdcf6db61bcf4f8c2.jpg

I had asked if freshwater was allowed and if it was this was my idea: The light bulb pico.

Japanese-Light-Bulb-Aquarium-Copy-2.jpg.a8e8894b28ab9e914303a4332728d3fa.jpg

I certainly had a ton of fun sourcing out a creative container. :)

I've actually seen someone turn lightbulb containers like that into Opae ula (Hawaiian volcano shrimp) tanks, complete with gorg skeleton and Petshrimp.com sells brackish marimo-type balls.  In case anyone needs an idea for a future tank. ;)

• Like 1
13 hours ago, metrokat said:

Sunday Funday.

and now I have the Bangles stuck in my head.....  really looking amazing btw.  And really want to see that WC video, need to know....

• Like 3

We played with physics!

Actually, we played with physics a little too much, and physics got back at us :P 

But now we have a video of the water change magic happening!! Watch until the end to hear me make an awful suggestion and the aftermath...

(I'm the jerk that filmed this vertically and I'm so sorry, I hecked up twice)

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Wow 3
8 hours ago, Mariaface said:

We played with physics!

Actually, we played with physics a little too much, and physics got back at us :P 

But now we have a video of the water change magic happening!! Watch until the end to hear me make an awful suggestion and the aftermath...

(I'm the jerk that filmed this vertically and I'm so sorry, I hecked up twice)

but but but why did you stop the camera!?!? :blink:  It's the 'heck-ups' we all get to learn from.   The physics of what happened all makes sense AFTER you see it happen. Was not expecting nor worried about it before.  Thanks for sharing, that was great.

• Haha 4
Allaboutcorals

fun with physics! I've seen these on ponds and always figured it'd look cool on a reef tank. just scares me to have that much water just suspended like that!

looks awesome and good luck!

• Like 4

When I was a wee little girl, I nearly lost my favorite goldfish to my sister's obscenely large orange tabby sitting on the aquarium lid.  His fat rolls and rubenesque build were too much for it and he collapsed the lid, overflowed the tank, and fell on the goldfish.

tumblr_lt8a8hhymz1r3lihoo1_500.jpg

• Haha 6

Got some snails from @johnmaloney. These are zigzag periwinkles. For size reference, that sand grain is Fiji Pink. 

rsz_snails.thumb.jpg.26756bdf8f90e1f7bb7ef09565959fd2.jpg

The description says: Eats Diatoms, Algae and Detritus on the rocks and glass in your tank. Extremely hardy under normal water conditions. This smaller snail only grows to about 2/5-3/5 of an inch.

The Zig Zag Periwinkles will consume algae, detritus and diatoms on your aquarium's glass and rocks. They are small, growing to a size of only about a 3/5 of an inch at most. They should only be kept in a tank with a lid, as they have a habit of staying just above the water line. <---- true

We have found them to be extremely hardy, the hardiest aquarium species that we know of, and an excellent addition to the aquarium that focuses on diversity.However, they are very small, and have little impact on algae. They are very good for certain applications so we keep them, and they make a good feeding species for mantis shrimp since they spend most of their time out of reach of the shrimp, allowing the aquarist to feed their mantis easily. 

• Like 6

I had a cat that jumped on my Brute water barrel often. Until I was pulling water from it one day and the lid was off. That was the fastest I have ever seen it run away (soaking wet). I was laughing too hard go go after her quickly, but did towel her off pretty fast.