Innovative Marine Aquariums

Denise's Skull Pico Creative Container Contest Entry

dmw913

So, I moved the tank from bedside to another spot in the bedroom.  Moving a 2.1 gallon isn't a particular problem!  lol!  What is a problem, apparently is LPS with this light... the war coral frag seems to be bleaching a little already.  The jack-o-lantern is still hanging on but isn't recovering the bleached spots.  I'm considering taping off one of the LEDs as I don't really feel like I can lower the photoperiod any shorter.  Anyone else having this issue or any suggestions? 

On another note, I picked up a sweet Superman mushroom in a discount frag rack for $10 from my LFS!  It looked a little sad and the lights in the rack weren't very good but I thought it would color up nicely and it has done so.  

IMG_0512.thumb.JPG.676367d3e5275b24d52a085de4ca5dda.JPG

IMG_0515.JPG

• Like 6
2 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Taping off a diode might not be such a bad idea, I know some others have done that. Is there no way to raise the bulb any higher?

The gooseneck has been offset and I don't think I can bend it to raise it any higher.  I'll find some electrical tape and black out a diode and see what we get.  Thanks!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Good morning, pico friends!

Sorry I've been MIA for a couple of weeks.  Work has been crazy town!  

Pico update:  I taped over the white led with layers of clear tape to act as a diffuser.  It cut down on some of the light but I still think things are getting blaster.  I'm going to fire up the PAR monitor today and dig in to see just what I'm dealing with and adjust accordingly.  

Took out the lepto and put it in display tank to stop/reverse bleaching.  Didn't want it to continue to suffer.

Mr. Pincers and the blue legged hermit have switched shells.  I didn't know if Mr. Pincers preferred the smaller one or just got bullied so I tossed some extra shells in the bottom.

Weekly 100% water changes continue to be the order of the day.  Very minimal algae growth at this point.  

Macro algae is going crazy!  Have had to pull out some of the caulerpa.  Almost ready to take out some of the dragons breath.  

IMG_0577.JPG

• Like 5

Here's my January FTS.  

PAR update:  I did some PAR readings with my Seneye and no wonder the LPS were bleaching - over 500 PAR!!!  I've black out one of the blue leds and need to now black out another one.  Geeeeez!

IMG_0614.JPG

• Like 2
  • Wow 4
  • 4 weeks later...

February Update:  

So, last month's update I had finally gotten out the par meter to find out that the par near the top of the skull was over 500!!!  EEEEEP.  I put clear tape over the white LED allowing some light through but diffusing it.  I then put electrical tape over a blue led.  Difference but still too high.  I covered another blue led and seemed to find my sweet spot.  I saw different results almost immediately.  Everything got fluffier (a technical term in reefing) as well as started stretching out and moving around a little, e.g. zoas not staying as tightly bunched, etc.  The most notable example of this is the nepthea who has extended polyps and stretched probably about an inch this month.  Color has gotten better too.  The bam bams had always stayed pretty tight/closed and have now opened significantly, look really happy and have a baby polyp.  Snake polyps have colored up and the sore on one has healed.  I think I'm going to put a frag of LPS back in the tank and see if I can actually keep it in there now.  (Note:  I saved the lepto previously in the skull by putting it back in my main display.  I would have thought it was a goner for sure but it's about 2/3 colored up again!)  Rock nem has fully split into two and is also chugging along.  

In terms of stability, this little tank is rock solid.  Both crabs are still hanging in and doing their thing.  I was able to take a cutting of the dragon's breath for another tank and then spread the remainder out around the bottom of the skull.  I do a water change every 7-10 days and keep plugging forward.  Such a fun little jar of happy!

Updated pics from today:

IMG_0899.JPG

IMG_0900.JPG

IMG_0901.JPG

• Like 7
Christopher Marks

Everything is so vivid, wow! The color theory on this coral collection is the best. :happy: 

I'm glad you were able to finally get the darn LED bulb dialed in, who knew those bulbs packed so much punch!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The contest is coming to a close!  March 31st will be the official end of the competition and then the voting will begin.  In order to help the community decide what tanks to vote for, each remaining contestant will need to do the following:

1. PM me three (3) final photos that you think summarize your container reef.  The composition for two of these is up to you, but one of them should be a final FTS taken sometime during the month of March.
  2. PM me a written summary of your container reef build and experiences throughout the competition.  This should be no more than 250 words.
  3. These items must be private messaged to me by midnight (Pacific Standard Time) on March 31st.
  • 3 weeks later...