Coral Vue Hydros

DudeRubble's Test Tube of Rubble, a Creative Container Contest entry

duderubble

Ok people I'm pretty stoked. Seems to be leak free and the flow is about perfect. Still need to manage cords a bit. The bulb sticks out of the shade some but I think it's fine. 

20171031_160724.jpg

More pics when the water clears. I'm keeping the rest of the rock out because I've ordered bigger magnets. 

20171031_160801.jpg

• Like 6

BTW this is almost exactly 2 gallons of water so the calculation of 2.5 was correct when you subtract for the space at the top an displacement of the equipment and rock. 

I put a small chunk of rubble in from my other tank. Any thoughts on how long to wait before adding corals?

Thanks, CM. I appreciate it. I'm really enjoying this build. I hope the aquatic life enjoys it as much as me. 

Clearing up some. The magnification effect is perfect. Enough to be noticeable, not enough to be obnoxious. 

I like the blue. But i will say it plays havok with a camera. I bought gel filters on eBay for $6. Definitely worthwhile. 

20171031_172617.jpg

• Like 4
52 minutes ago, duderubble said:

Any thoughts on how long to wait before adding corals?

If it's all dry rock, I'd do some form of the following: http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/resources/fishless-cycling

If you have any bacteria in a bottle, I'd use that as a base, and then add a clean form of ammonia.  I'd probably dose ammonia up to 1ppm and then let it become undetectable, and then do it again.  So (to answer your question) however long that takes.  This will give you a basic biofilter that should be adequate for corals and some inverts.

• Like 2

Ammonia right at 2 ppm. So that's good. Here is the dessert plate lid installed. I was worried it would bend the light in weird ways but it seems to have no effect at all. I added clear rubber bumpers to the edge to allow for gas exchange. 

20171031_182706.jpg

• Like 4

Magnets came in. I'm not sure how I feel about all of this rock. The highest piece seems maybe too high in the water to grow corals. I may use the smaller one and replace the larger one with one smaller still than the smallest one now.  No progress on the cycle. 

20171101_221622.jpg

• Like 4
Christopher Marks

Hmm I can see what you mean, especially with the magnification. The areas beneath them may make for interesting low light nooks, but it does seem like they still occupy too much space. Downsizing the big one makes sense.

How is it dealing with evaporation now that everything has been running?

• Like 1

This scape looks much better. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate all went to zero so that's weird. But i did a 95% water change (can't get to the very bottom, lol) and added a few frags. I'll watch them closely and monitor the water quality. Still a little cloudy from the water change. 

20171105_152349.jpg

• Like 4

Tonight's pics. I added a couple more frags but the light went out before they opened. I plan an extra water change to help with the rapid increase in bioload. 

So is anyone else experiencing that the hardest thing is that the tank overflows every time you put your hand in?

20171106_173157.jpg

20171106_173209.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
5 minutes ago, duderubble said:

So is anyone else experiencing that the hardest thing is that the tank overflows every time you put your hand in?

So after it overflows, take out your hand and make note of the water level.  That's your new fill line. :)

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, seabass said:

So after it overflows, take out your hand and make note of the water level.  That's your new fill line. :)

Definitely my biggest issue. I just don't even think about it before my hand is in there and the water is out of there.