SaltCritters.com

DudeRubble's Test Tube of Rubble, a Creative Container Contest entry

duderubble

That's why the feet come out 2" further than the rail on each side. Once full it should be pretty stable. Also I think I'm going to put it in a corner. 

• Like 2

Here's a view of the channel for the cords (you can also see the pocket screws, these are hidden as viewed from the front). Still awaiting my heater. I ordered the aqua forest one. The pump is a Sicce Micra and my light is a tuna blue 12w. 

20171020_084754.jpg

• Like 6

Awesome stand.  Looking very professional.

I love my Kreg jig.  Have you ever tried the pocket hole plugs?  They work pretty well; although you'd need to install them before you stain (so not for this stand).  However, I find that wood putty works better for paintable projects.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, the holes really don't take away from the project.  They never completely match the original wood, so you see the plugs (six of one, half dozen of the other).

1 hour ago, duderubble said:

Here's a view of the channel for the cords (you can also see the pocket screws, these are hidden as viewed from the front). Still awaiting my heater. I ordered the aqua forest one. The pump is a Sicce Micra and my light is a tuna blue 12w. 

20171020_084754.jpg

Looks great!  I just bought a plant stand with similar slot/slip-in configuration as that!    Makes it easy to ship...hint hint :D.  You could start a pico bowl/vase stand business!

• Like 2

I don't know where I'd get the bowls. This was the last one at the store. There was a larger one. Probably 4 gallons but it was pretty high. $69 I think. 

6 minutes ago, duderubble said:

I don't know where I'd get the bowls. This was the last one at the store. There was a larger one. Probably 4 gallons but it was pretty high. $69 I think. 

You'd probably have to source something similar and build the stand to fit that.  But you have the skills and it might be worth the effort. 

Started by looking like mediocre DIY crap (like I'd attempt to pull off) ... Mon/Tues update still looks like mediocre DIY crap ... Wed morning yep, still kinda crappy.

Then BOOM!  Pure concentrated awesome stylish varnished stand,  nested glass "tank" w/hidden support.  Absolutely amazing work so far... can't wait to see what you actually put in it! B)

One suggestion - you may want to grab a disc-style/bumper plate free weight for a few bucks from a used sporting goods store & bolt it onto or nest it in the base of the stand.  10-20lbs can make it waaaaay more stable while preserving the look & feel you've got going on there.

Did I mention that your build looks stunning?!

• Thanks 1

Man...that stand looks great! Got a kind of apothecary look going for it. Going to look real good when it gets hit with the light. Definitely following along to see how it turns out

• Thanks 1

Aqua Forest heater came. Its perfect. The suction cups slide off and the heater slides right through the hole. Now to figure out how to seal the hole and hide the pump and heater in the scape. 

• Like 7
On 10/20/2017 at 9:55 AM, gena said:

You'd probably have to source something similar and build the stand to fit that.  But you have the skills and it might be worth the effort. 

id buy one that could sit on a desk or something. just cradle it about 3" off the table top. they look really nice.

• Like 1
On 10/21/2017 at 9:18 AM, duderubble said:

Aqua Forest heater came. Its perfect. The suction cups slide off and the heater slides right through the hole. Now to figure out how to seal the hole and hide the pump and heater in the scape. 

That's great news!  I didn't think they came off.

• Like 1