Cultivated Reef

DudeRubble's Test Tube of Rubble, a Creative Container Contest entry

duderubble

So I'm in. I went to half a dozen stores and saw probably 20 likely candidates. I liked the idea of a hole in the tank to run cords out for a completely clean look. This was being sold as a cheese dome but thus one was missing its cutting board so I got it for half off. $18 with tax. My math says it's just under 2.5 gallon total volume but it didn't look that big to me. The internal  diameter is 7.5" and the height is 16" total. I have a plan for a stand and perhaps an integral light fixture. 

Question: would you do a small pump of say 70 gph or an air pump with lift tube for this size tank?

20171014_104624.jpg

• Like 5

I assume that it's currently upside down.

6 minutes ago, duderubble said:

would you do a small pump of say 70 gph or an air pump with lift tube for this size tank?

Whatever you prefer.  However, with an open top, I'm more fond of a small pump (less salt creep).

I find that the typical thin sheets of plexi tend to warp.  If you go that route, you might want something a little thicker than normal.  If you search around enough, you might even find a glass lid for it off of some other container.

• Like 1
MainelyReefer

Cool container! Don't let anyone know you put steak sauce on steak it makes you less manly.  You will want a little shape to the lid, perfectly flat and the drips can congregate towards the edge of the bowl rather than being dropped back into water, either a concave shape or cookie jar type rim on the lid.  How are you going to plug the hole where the rope is now?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good point about the flat lid.

For the hole I was thinking of making a round disc of plexi about 1.5" with two holes drilled for the two cords and then sealing it to the bottom with silicone. I think it actually is an advantage that the hole is on the bottom water pressure and gravity will be my friends. I also thought of a test tube stopper with two holes but I doubt I could find exactly what I need.

As for the A1, I use it more often on hamburgers. 

• Like 1

I'm pretty excited to do the stand. This week I hope. I've got a bulb and  a pump on the way. Still dithering about a heater. 

I'm thinking of sculpting dry rock into ledges that conform to the inside diameter and gluing magnets to the back to suspend them to get some height and room for corals to grow. 

I'm thinking maybe a few sexy shrimp. 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, el fabuloso said:

Are you going to build a base or does the container stand on its own?

The bottom is half of a sphere. That's meant to be the top so no it won't stand. I'm planning to make a floor stand about 40" high to cradle it. I don't think I've seen any other floor stands. The wires for the pump and the heater will feed out the bottom hole and be hidden by the stand. I'm hoping it will look like magic. 

• Like 4

This stand should be quite a bit easier and more elegant than the one for my IM25 lagoon. I'm thinking stained oak in an arts and crafts style. 

• Like 4

20171018_210859.jpg

17 minutes ago, TILTON said:

How are you going to plug the bottom once the cords are through?

Good question. I was going to use plexiglass and silicone, but now I think I'll use silicone sheet and silicone. Specifically I plan to cut up a silicone cupcake baking liner slathered with silicone caulk. 

• Like 2

Its a little loose right now, I left space for rubber bumpers like you put under something you don't want to scratch the table.  Those will make it secure. 

I also need to cut a passage for the cords. Dremel sending drum for that.

20171018_220341.jpg

• Like 4