ReefCleaners.org

Droy's C.C. Pico - Updated 2/23/18

Droy008

Quick update of some of the Jars corals and their growth.

Check out this Toadstool!
WrCKfrKl.jpg

6cQzemWl.jpg

The Hammer continues to get more and more Gold, it comes in a bit more green in the picture.

D1ywFIYl.jpg

• Like 7
18 hours ago, Droy008 said:

Quick update of some of the Jars corals and their growth.

Check out this Toadstool!
WrCKfrKl.jpg

6cQzemWl.jpg

The Hammer continues to get more and more Gold, it comes in a bit more green in the picture.

D1ywFIYl.jpg

That toadstool! :wub:

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

That toadstool! :wub:

Yea I'm pretty sure that when I combine my 10g with this jar, that Toadstool will become quite the star of the tank. 

• Like 1

Welp, we've got Flatworms!!!

7WJ5Call.jpg

I've been seeing 1 or two a week, each time i'd try to smash them and wipe them out as best as possible. turns out that wasn't very helpful.

Interestingly enough, none of the corals are affected in the slightest, in fact they are doing better than ever it seems.

Here's a couple pictures of things I don't usually show off. Don't pay much attention to the dirty glass, I haven't cleaned it in 2 weeks :P

J4OqwHql.jpg

The base of this Sinularia has really started to show it's striations :)

5aga7uKl.jpg

Pink Start Polyps doing their thing growing across the sand.

C9fHYHil.jpg

Lastly I decided to move over the remainder of these palys from the 10g. I needed room to move some of my sps around.  I figured that the single polyp was doing so well that I'd throw them all in!

Notice the farthest left one has such pronounced color in comparison to the rest of the colony. I cant quite figure out why, but my Zoas/Palys seem to have much better coloration in this jar than in my 10g.

• Like 5
8 hours ago, Droy008 said:

Welp, we've got Flatworms!!!

7WJ5Call.jpg

I've been seeing 1 or two a week, each time i'd try to smash them and wipe them out as best as possible. turns out that wasn't very helpful.

Interestingly enough, none of the corals are affected in the slightest, in fact they are doing better than ever it seems.

Here's a couple pictures of things I don't usually show off. Don't pay much attention to the dirty glass, I haven't cleaned it in 2 weeks :P

J4OqwHql.jpg

The base of this Sinularia has really started to show it's striations :)

5aga7uKl.jpg

Pink Start Polyps doing their thing growing across the sand.

C9fHYHil.jpg

Lastly I decided to move over the remainder of these palys from the 10g. I needed room to move some of my sps around.  I figured that the single polyp was doing so well that I'd throw them all in!

Notice the farthest left one has such pronounced color in comparison to the rest of the colony. I cant quite figure out why, but my Zoas/Palys seem to have much better coloration in this jar than in my 10g.

What color are the flatworms? Some varieties are harmless. I want to say it's the reddish brown ones that are harmful, but I'm tired and may be misremembering. Tank is looking great!

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

I had/have some brownish orange ones that haven’t hurt anything. I think I read that if their population gets too high though they can smother corals. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

What color are the flatworms? Some varieties are harmless. I want to say it's the reddish brown ones that are harmful, but I'm tired and may be misremembering. Tank is looking great!

They are all a transparent off white color.

I have tried to locate them anywhere other than the glass, but I can't.

I've never had to deal with these guys before, so I'm open to suggestions for controlling their population.

48 minutes ago, Droy008 said:

I've never had to deal with these guys before, so I'm open to suggestions for controlling their population.

When you do your weekly WC just syphon them out and see if that is enough to keep their population under control.  That is what I would do if it were me.

22 hours ago, Droy008 said:

I think most varieties don't get to plague proportions, but you can siphon out the ones you see during water changes as noted above.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh, so sorry, I've been incredibly busy as of late.

I did snag a couple quick pictures of the Jar yesterday for the competition.

qqrSfaB.jpg

Full Jar shot

fOO1AP6.jpg

Top Down.

I will try to get more soon. :)

• Like 6
  • Wow 1

On 2/6/2018 at 12:13 PM, brandon429 said:

its 100% perfect and plants love my reef light too

Thank you @brandon429, Unfortunately I've been in St. Louis for some work lately. While the jar chugged along perfectly, the air plants didn't get watered as needed, and I am seeing some with a bit of wilting. Hopefully they'll bounce back soon.

10 hours ago, vlangel said:

Nice droy!  I love how the air plants rock work compliment your reef jar.

Thank you, I'm happy with how it's come along so far. Hopefully I can give it some more attention here in the near future. :)

• Like 1

So I've finally found some time to update my threads here on Nano-Reef.

I have a bit of a confession to make (Queue Foo Fighters) I have fallen in love with this little jar. :wub: 

It's simply the best thing to happen for me and reefing.

Honestly, is how simple everything is. I've decidedly kept with relatively-easy soft coral that can grow quickly and create a full tank-scape.

I feel like the soft corals have managed to do that well. I have almost completely run out of space to place any new frags.

The tank requires almost no feeding, once or twice a month i will throw a pinch of Coral Frenzy in there , usually just prior to my once a month 75% water change.

I just cannot believe how well the coral are growing in there, Seriously! I have been trying my hardest to figure out what I'm doing differently with this little jar than with my 10g.

I think it's simply, I'm not touching it... But I will also lend some credit to the Aquaforest Probiotic salt that I have been using. I genuinely feel that it has helped maintain ideal water parameters, as well as bacterial colonies, that assist with coral growth.

But enough of my typing, here's some pictures I took of the tank recently using my DSLR.

* Note, I am still figuring this darned thing out, The white balance for this jar is Vastly more difficult to judge than my 10g. 

i94QO0hl.jpg

Top down Shot, showing how full this thing it getting.

KFRMx9Pl.jpg

Green Palys have almost choked out the wee little zoa

ucf3KfXl.jpg

My torch coral continues to change from a dark purple to a gold color.

U9mU1eql.jpg

Salted Agaves, These guys have multiplied more in the last month than they did for a year in my 10g...

1EA13Mvl.jpg

The Red Sea Xenia have all but taken over the lower half of the rockwork

Pc5ffsyl.jpg

I really did try to capture the colors of these cloves, and i failed. In reality they have neon orange stripes going out here polyps with neon green centers.

Z9nY3Zal.jpg

Look at that polyp extension, this guy is really, really, happy in there! (Also check out the new baby in the lower portion of the pic :D)

fADZBHFl.jpg

Look at them a bit closer.

lQFpzZnl.jpg

Of all the coral to really take off, the GSP is struggling to keep up :lol:

RRhnXJjl.jpg

These unknown Palys have REALLY colored up in here.

bZETgiyl.jpg 

Sinularia continues to grow, and has managed to push the cloves further up the rockwork.

ccVoOXUl.jpg 

Here's all the space that's really left in the jar, What do you guys think would fit up there?

• Like 7
  • Wow 1

Your jar is looking amazing!  Mine is filling in but yours beats mine however.  Like you I am enjoying the ease of it so much.  Its, full, colorful and best of all easy!  Whats not to love?

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Your jar is looking amazing!  Mine is filling in but yours beats mine however.  Like you I am enjoying the ease of it so much.  Its, full, colorful and best of all easy!  Whats not to love?

Your little jar has me in envy, its just so awesome!

I especially want to get some form of macro algae, and gorgs in mine. Trouble is I'm not sure where I could put them. :(

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
13 minutes ago, Droy008 said:

I especially want to get some form of macro algae, and gorgs in mine. Trouble is I'm not sure where I could put them. :(

Those would really round out this awesoem pico. I’d definitely make room for them! Problem for me has been finding a website wth both gorgs and macro algae in stock...

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Droy008 said:

Ha ha, you are envying my jar and I am envying yours!  It always looks nicer when it's someone elses.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The contest is coming to a close!  March 31st will be the official end of the competition and then the voting will begin.  In order to help the community decide what tanks to vote for, each remaining contestant will need to do the following:

1. PM me three (3) final photos that you think summarize your container reef.  The composition for two of these is up to you, but one of them should be a final FTS taken sometime during the month of March.
  2. PM me a written summary of your container reef build and experiences throughout the competition.  This should be no more than 250 words.
  3. These items must be private messaged to me by midnight (Pacific Standard Time) on March 31st.
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...