Coral Vue Hydros

Droy's C.C. Pico - Updated 2/23/18

Droy008

15 hours ago, Rene said:

Those air plants!:wub:

They definitely add something to the presentation of the jar.

13 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Love the air plants!  I definitely think you nailed the look you were going for, the rock scape is cohesive and beautiful!

I am certainly loving the plants so far, and their maintenance is almost nothing.

Some have even began to bloom!

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

So I did my second water change, only 50% total volume.

My nitrates are undetectable, however my phosphates where getting a little high at 30ppm, so hopefully this will help pull them back down.

I also took some little frags from my 10g and transferred them.

9nVTQJCl.jpg

And here's the little jar from the top down.

XVSCVWGl.jpg

And finally an updated FJS. :)

ZqXeLT9l.jpg

• Like 10
  • Wow 1
9 hours ago, seabass said:

Looks great.

7 hours ago, vlangel said:

This jar is so attractive with the air plants!?

Thank you guys! :D

Right now I'm simply too busy to really give this jar the attention it deserves.

However, hopefully after the first of the Year we'll see some awesome new additions. :ninja:

• Like 3
On 11/28/2017 at 9:34 PM, Droy008 said:

And finally an updated FJS. :)

ZqXeLT9l.jpg

Looks awesome with the plants. What kind did you use? 

I really like how you brought the base of the external rock forward. It frames the jar really nicely.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
42 minutes ago, cnseekatz said:

Looks awesome with the plants. What kind did you use? 

I really like how you brought the base of the external rock forward. It frames the jar really nicely.

So far the plants are all air plants.

There is a bit of variety in the types of plants.

But I have no clue as to the specific names of them.

However one thing I'm noticing is that the jars light is drying the plants out faster than normal. Some of the plants are struggling. Hopefully with more frequent watering they will rebound.

• Like 3

Looking good. Throw a daylight led on the plant side and your plants will really pop. It doesn’t have to be bright at all just enough to show the beautiful green colors of the air plants. 

• Like 1
On 11/30/2017 at 10:51 AM, Droy008 said:

However one thing I'm noticing is that the jars light is drying the plants out faster than normal. Some of the plants are struggling. Hopefully with more frequent watering they will rebound.

To fix this I had a whole different set of air plants on my window sill. I would switch out my plants weekly. I gave the ones rotating out a fresh bath and sprits and let them sit for a week at my window sill to recoup. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, Wawawang said:

To fix this I had a whole different set of air plants on my window sill. I would switch out my plants weekly. I gave the ones rotating out a fresh bath and sprits and let them sit for a week at my window sill to recoup. 

29 minutes ago, Wawawang said:

Looking good. Throw a daylight led on the plant side and your plants will really pop. It doesn’t have to be bright at all just enough to show the beautiful green colors of the air plants. 

Thats a great idea, thank you.

I have already been looking for a supplemental light for the plants, hopefully I'll get one up shortly.

As for swapping out the plants, I would have never considered that. Lol

I might have to give that a try if I cannot keep up with their needs better.

Something else I've been considering is attaching some sort of moss or fibre to the rock in hopes to retain the water better/longer.

Thanks again!

Well I had to take a trip into Portland yesterday, and while I was there I stopped by an awesome little shop named Cuttlefish and Corals.

They were super friendly, had some really great looking corals, and well, I just HAD to take some home with me.

xrq7hCol.jpg

First thing I grabbed was a nice little hammer coral. Yes, I broke down and put an LPS in my softie only tank. but its close enough. :P

bcXyBLAl.jpg

Then I grabbed a nice chunk of Pulsing Xenia.

ERz1xEhl.jpg

Lastly, I picked up a beautiful neon green toadstool! 

I freaking love this thing. I cannot get over how mesmerizing it is, and how much it adds to the little jar. :)

e5Og7wQl.jpg

Here's a quick update of the whole thing

MKtYehDl.jpg

And a little Christmas spirit too!

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, TheRope said:

Looking good! Love those toadstools, i wanted one in my jar, but im scared of their size hahah

Yea, i'm mildly concered about it's growth as well. But at the same time, its just an excuse for a bigger tank! :lol:

Also, get one, they're awesome.

On 11/30/2017 at 10:51 AM, Droy008 said:

I would try sand if it’s possible, just set the base slightly dug into it. Should retain more moisture. Just don’t make the sand wet. If the rocks are done so that the sand wouldn’t stay,  I would then try sphagnum moss. Again just slightly damp not wet. You can get a bag on amazon or Home Depot for like $5. But If you can, more frequent misting is obviously the best solution.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, seabass said:

Looks awesome!  Nice flow too.  I'm kind of thinking that I should up the flow in mine.

Thanks, I found that if the flow in my 10g was even relatively calm, I was constantly battling crank or dynos. I figured it wouldn't hurt here either.

8 hours ago, JoeR said:

I would try sand if it’s possible, just set the base slightly dug into it. Should retain more moisture. Just don’t make the sand wet. If the rocks are done so that the sand wouldn’t stay,  I would then try sphagnum moss. Again just slightly damp not wet. You can get a bag on amazon or Home Depot for like $5. But If you can, more frequent misting is obviously the best solution.

Yea beca use the rocks are very poured they do not hold moisture at all. In fact I'd wager the are working it off the plants.

The sand is an interesting idea, and was my first thought however it'd likely make a mess.

The moss is another idea however I couldn't find anything locally. Never even considered Amazon. Lol.

8 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Love the new additions. Jar looks great

Thank you.

I have 1 last leather coral I'd like to add, a Green nepthea, and then fill the rest in with zoas/palys.

5 minutes ago, Droy008 said:

Thanks, I found that if the flow in my 10g was even relatively calm, I was constantly battling crank or dynos. I figured it wouldn't hurt here either.

Yea beca use the rocks are very poured they do not hold moisture at all. In fact I'd wager the are working it off the plants.

The sand is an interesting idea, and was my first thought however it'd likely make a mess.

The moss is another idea however I couldn't find anything locally. Never even considered Amazon. Lol.

Thank you.

I have 1 last leather coral I'd like to add, a Green nepthea, and then fill the rest in with zoas/palys.

Lowe’s or Home Depot, whatever y’all have there, doesn’t have sphagnum moss? Should be with the indoor plants and such. Either way amazon has it though. I still think sand is the best option if you can make it work