Top Shelf Aquatics

Droy's C.C. Pico - Updated 2/23/18

Droy008

So I figured I'd join in on the latest Pico container fun.

I've always liked the idea of a jar reef, so now I've decided to give it a shot.

Not completely sure on anything else yet, but I'm sure it'll be fun!

So far here's what I've got.

Also, seaweed snack are a condiment right?!

ugnHSCp.jpg

• Like 5
11 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Welcome to the Anchor Hocking jar club! :lol: Is this the 2 gallon?

Yup!

It's only a matter of time until I find a way to poke holes in this thing though. :ninja:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OK, I've got a plan, or at least the beginnings of a plan.

I've been wanting to try this idea out since the inception of my Innovative Marine 10g. I was just too afraid, and too new, to pull it off properly. In fact i'm still not sure I can....

I have always wanted to extend the life of my reef tank outside of it's glass borders, and ever since stumbling across @Wawawang's TOTM I haven't been able to let go some of his concepts. More in particular, the idea of supporting a pseudo ecosystem outside of the tank with plants.

I hope to replicate his original idea (to a degree) with this jar, if I can do that successfully, and maintain it.

Then I'd be more comfortable building a larger, more complex ecosystem later.

I drew up a quick sketch tonight, what do you guys think?

kSUpTnel.jpg

(Yes it was drawn on the back of my daughter homework) :lol:

Tomorrow I hope to start breaking up the live rock and hopefully the rockscape will start to take shape. :)

• Like 5
  • Wow 1

Well, I think it's safe to say that I hate rockscaping. Lol

I spent a little over 3 hours last night breaking, chipping, crushing, glueing, and crying to get this to where it is currently.

Not entirely sure I'm happy with it. But, it was getting late, so I chose to take a break and give it a moment.

Let me know what you guys think.

wdPtv5N.jpg

Here's the current front shot.

8hhZcAP.jpg

Top down

0UQerv2.jpg

For flow I was really hoping to hide the pump.

I will run a bit of tubing up to the top of the rockwork hopefully agitating the waters surface a bit.

That's it so far, hopefully I can now get this thing filled with water soon!

• Like 5
  • Wow 2

I like it.  How stable is it?  Could you move the jar around without the rock falling apart?

A couple of thoughts:

• I'm not sure if using pond foam in the cracks would shore it up any.  You could place some small pieces of rubble over any exposed foam.
  • I assume that the rock under water will color up with some coralline and other algae.  Have you considered trying to add some color to the external rock?  Maybe some light coats of spray paint?  You can get Krylon Fusion in lots of colors: http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion-for-plastic/
  • Like 1
46 minutes ago, seabass said:

I like it.  How stable is it?  Could you move the jar around without the rock falling apart?

A couple of thoughts:

• I'm not sure if using pond foam in the cracks would shore it up any.  You could place some small pieces of rubble over any exposed foam.
  • I assume that the rock under water will color up with some coralline and other algae.  Have you considered trying to add some color to the external rock?  Maybe some light coats of spray paint?  You can get Krylon Fusion in lots of colors: http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion-for-plastic/

Thanks,

I hadn't considered the foam option, but your right in that it should tighten everything up.

As for spray paint, I was kicking around the idea, but wanted to wait to see how the scape turned out first.

Thanks for the ideas!

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Droy008 said:

Well, I think it's safe to say that I hate rockscaping. Lol

I spent a little over 3 hours last night breaking, chipping, crushing, glueing, and crying to get this to where it is currently.

Not entirely sure I'm happy with it. But, it was getting late, so I chose to take a break and give it a moment.

Let me know what you guys think.

wdPtv5N.jpg

Here's the current front shot.

8hhZcAP.jpg

Top down

0UQerv2.jpg

For flow I was really hoping to hide the pump.

I will run a bit of tubing up to the top of the rockwork hopefully agitating the waters surface a bit.

That's it so far, hopefully I can now get this thing filled with water soon!

Looks great!  The tonga branch piece looks like a lobster tail from above. :lol:

• Like 1

Well I just couldn't leave well enough alone...

pSpZkDPl.jpg

This morning I removed some rock from the outside bottom.

TmZUrYil.jpg

I really liked how this turned out. So tonight I glued it all up.

TNYVocxl.jpg

and then I did this....:lol:

• Like 1
  • Sad 5
  • Wow 1

Drat!

I used a product in my pico that I really liked, Nyos reef cement. Some folks hate it but I found it to be really easy to work with and creates an excellent, sturdy bond. The key is to mix tiny, and I mean tiny, amounts of cement. 

As for the outside rocks, you might want to consider what the vivarium world does to make things less conspicuous if you don't like the bright white look. Lots of folks use black aquarium silicone and then cover their sculpture in peat, coconut coir, or chopped long-fiber sphagnum if they will be using it as a background for plants. If you have any leftover rock and it sounds like something you might like, leftovers could become test subjects...

• Like 3

Well here it is (for now).

I will likely go back over it with a small bit of paint and possibly some coconut fibre.

Not exactly sure yet.

But as of now the aquarium side of things is ready to rock and roll.

Now I need to get the rock soaked and cycled.

:)

JooYmPA.jpg

Front shot

mUrda0l.jpg

Top Down

• Like 7

Ok, well I got the tank all set up in it's location.

I made some minor tweaks to it after getting it wet, but overall I'm pretty happy with it.

km1vHHj.jpg

Next up is adding some sand, and getting the light setup.

• Like 8