Coral Vue Hydros

Here we go again.... Nuvo 30 Black Anemone Tank

Halo_003

8 hours ago, Halo_003 said:

I just met a local hobbyist that did this, said it worked like a charm after 4 or 5 weeks, with nothinh initially at the beginning. Said it was a medication for yeast infections, think that was it. Wish I had found that for some old tanks I tore down! I didn't think yours was wet yet, hence the confusion.

12 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

I just met a local hobbyist that did this, said it worked like a charm after 4 or 5 weeks, with nothinh initially at the beginning. Said it was a medication for yeast infections, think that was it. Wish I had found that for some old tanks I tore down! I didn't think yours was wet yet, hence the confusion.

Sorry, this is for treating the old rocks. The tank is not wet yet. I have the old rocks and the fish in a Rubbermaid tub.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

Well as some of you may have noticed, this really dropped off in December when I was pretty much ready to fill it. Unfortunately, the day before planning to fill the tank, I lost my job. It very quickly dropped off of my list of priorities in the face of no cash flows. This is partially why I decided to try focusing on treating the old rock scape for algae issues, which is sort of still in progress.

Fortunately, I received and accepted an offer this week which represents a substantial increase in earning potential and comes with much better benefits. Additionally, it's going to be moving from a role I was miserable in into one which is the industry I've wanted to be in since childhood. It also will mean a move to the Orlando, Florida area, which will be a big improvement in terms of weather over my current location near Chicago, both in terms of weather and a somewhat lower cost of living.

It isn't all sunshine and rainbows though, my girlfriend (now a fiance, got engaged December 29th), isn't ecstatic about the move because it will be away from the family and friends up here, where she has lived for her entire life.

With this in mind, my timeline on finally filling the tank is looking like most likely end of March or so.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Halo_003 said:

Well as some of you may have noticed, this really dropped off in December when I was pretty much ready to fill it. Unfortunately, the day before planning to fill the tank, I lost my job. It very quickly dropped off of my list of priorities in the face of no cash flows. This is partially why I decided to try focusing on treating the old rock scape for algae issues, which is sort of still in progress.

Fortunately, I received and accepted an offer this week which represents a substantial increase in earning potential and comes with much better benefits. Additionally, it's going to be moving from a role I was miserable in into one which is the industry I've wanted to be in since childhood. It also will mean a move to the Orlando, Florida area, which will be a big improvement in terms of weather over my current location near Chicago, both in terms of weather and a somewhat lower cost of living.

It isn't all sunshine and rainbows though, my girlfriend (now a fiance, got engaged December 29th), isn't ecstatic about the move because it will be away from the family and friends up here, where she has lived for her entire life.

With this in mind, my timeline on finally filling the tank is looking like most likely end of March or so.

wow thanks for sharing, FL is def the place to be for reefers.  hope all goes well with your new job and the move.  maybe your fiance just needs to visit FL first

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you guys! On the plus side my bryopsis appears to be gone, but I am considering doing a couple of 100% water changes and treating with fluco again just to be sure since the rocks are all still in a Rubbermaid tub.

• 1 month later...

This might be a somewhat boring update, but here we go....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006SU3QW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L9J4JRG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014GC2YLA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm interested to see how the Plastidip works, I have never used it before. Unfortunately I never got a response from Chris (former owner of CNC Reef). I shot him a pm on Instagram to ask if he had a CAD file for the light but no reply. After some consideration with regards to my light I am going to go for a matte black color on the body and a carbon fiber lid. Reason for the Plastidip is that it's easily removable if it looks bad. I will also be getting holes drilled in the rear of it to make it compatible with gooseneck mounting for more flexibility. Currently it is only able to hang from the ceiling, sometimes less than ideal in apartments.

If it looks good I may end up getting the heatsink anodized black and getting a real carbon fiber lid made. In the midst of all of this I will probably throw in a fourth NBR puck from Dave and try to use drivers from BlueAcro to get the electronics all self contained. I am considering moving the 3 Nanobox V3 pucks to a smaller build for a BTA quarantine tank and replacing them with BlueAcro 20k Pro star pucks. There's not really any good reason for this except I am interested to see if it makes a significant difference and I need a light for BTA quarantine anyways.

I have completed the cross country move to Florida, which was quite interesting. I did not feel like tearing down all of the work routing cables and such in the stand, so I prepared it for shipment personally. I left it pretty much 100% intact, just bubble wrapped all of the sensitive parts, shrink wrapped the whole thing, and then my movers (company paid for) wrapped it in thick brown furniture paper to load on the truck. It had no damage from this method but I wouldn't try it with a glass sump. 

Picture:

h2b8onZ.jpg

I am waiting on a new bulkhead and elbow fitting to come from BRS for the return and then I will be filling finally.

• Like 3